• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting round decision

rdc_bones

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2014
Boise, Idaho
I recently received my Thunder Beast 30P-1 suppressor and am starting a new hunting rifle build. I am looking to keep the rig as light and reasonably short as possible. I will be hunting antelope, deer and elk here in Idaho where shots can get on the long side, but realistically I will limit myself to under 500 yards.

I have a Stevens long action staggered feed action that I will be using as the base. I have pretty much decided on 20” barrel length to start with and I will be ordering the barrel from Jim at Northland when I pick my caliber.

So the question: short action based round or long? I am looking at .260 or 7mm-08 vs .270 or 30-06. The long action rounds will give me a little better velocity in a 24” barrel at the cost of about 10 grains more powder. In a barrel as short as 20” will there really be that much difference? Will the extra powder get burnt in that space or will it just be extra erosion on the baffles in my suppressor?

I would appreciate any information and/or advice. Looking to get the barrel ordered so I can have it in time for hunting season this year. Thanks!

Easy question. You have a long action...go 30-06, 26" barrel.

If you handload, you can get Barnes TTSX or any other 180gr flavors at 2,800ft/s -2,900ft/s easy...should get you well beyond 500yards.

And when you get ready for a longer distance, well, just dial more clicks on your scope.

If you dont reload you can find ammo anywhere...

How about a 280? I'd want more than a 260 if elk are on the menu.

Right there...Go with the .280 Rem. I've used the .280/.280 AI with 150 and 160 gr NP's out to 400 on elk and it's worked fine. Same for deer and speed goats.

Frankly with proper placement and good bullets...ANY of your choices will do the job. It's all about PLACEMENT.