• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Okay guys I have a huge bone to pick. While I understand we spend $$$$ on guns that will hit x way out there, what about a scope that will alow us to hit running x close. I'm building a high end 308 with 20" barrel. This will be a brush busten deer rig, but have the accuacy for 500 yard ground hog shots. I need a scope with HUGE 100 yrd feild of veiw, top end mag around 12, some type of BCD, or a retical with drops to 500 with wind holds. Most all good quality scopes I look at have 3.5- 4 low end and vary widely form 44 ft up on feild of veiw. I mean is this a untaped market or something?? Couldn't there be a scope with 1X around 60 ft at 100yard and top end 10-12X. A 30mm tube would be good for light but not needed for elevation cause you don't need much to get to 500. What are my choices?? And yes I have been looking!

Re: Hunting scope

Generally, you're going to pay for that in a really good scope - something like a NF or Premier 3-15, USO 3.2-17 or the new S&B 3-20. The Premier, for instance, has a great FOV @ 3X and it has the glass so that @ 15X you could see a ground hog well enough to shoot at it.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-14x50-VX-7-30mm-Riflescope-P7305.aspx This is what is on my 30-06 hunting rifle. Works fine not problem, and she's even been abused a couple of times.... Slip.... Spash.... F%#K! In the swamp she went. Took about an hour to fish the rifle out, but after a cleaning everything was fine
wink.gif

A scope that may cover what your after which should be released fairly soon would be the Vortex Viper PST in a 2.5x10x44 with the EBR-1 MRAD reticle. The field of view for your close-up and running targets is 47’ with the ability to work the wind or moving targets well using the turrets or the reticle. You may have to wait a little yet for this scope but it’s worth it

It should be a great scope for the cost and customer service – I’m looking forward to it for the same reason as you had mentioned, great field of view with the ability to react fast as far as adjustments in POA.

Another great scope would be the Schmidt&Bender 1-8x24. But have you considered to buy let´s say a Spuhr mount and mount a Eotech or something similar to the mount for close range and a scope of whatever type for longer ranges? Larue has a similar mount where you can mount an aimpoint or docter sight to the sied of your scope mount for close ranges. anther mount of the type comes from recknagel/era-tac. This is what I would do: get a higher magnificatin scope, for example the S&B 5-25 or Premier 3-15 or 5-25 and add a red dot sight, I like eotech most and you can cover all situtation and have a backup sight.