HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    IMG_0737.JPG

We have a Hunter Diagnostic coming out asap, the draft is up, here is a sneak peek at the 1 Box hunter diagnostic

RifleKraft Hunter 1 Box Diagnostic
    This guide is designed to help shooters determine the maximum effective distance at which
    they can reliably hit a target of a specific size. The Hunter 1 Box Diagnostic focuses on
    measuring the shooter's fundamental consistency, wind reading and variability, stress, and
    accounts for some ballistic uncertainty as the cone of fire extends to further distances. The
    calculations presented here are not simple extrapolations from a group shot at 100 yards or
    based solely on the wind conditions on the day of the test. Instead, they provide a
    comprehensive approach to evaluating likely hit or miss scenarios under various
    conditions.

This diagnostic tool can be particularly useful in hunting situations, where ethical
    considerations are paramount. By assessing kill zone sizes for game animals and
    determining an absolute maximum no-shoot distance, hunters can make more informed
    decisions, reducing the risk of injuring or missing their target.

Step 1: Paper at 100 Yards
    Shooting Positions and Sequence
    Perform the diagnostic from the three most likely positions you anticipate using during the
    hunt with the same equipment and ammunition. Follow a build-and-break sequence for
    each shot to simulate hunting conditions.

Build and Break Shots: Shoot from the three most likely positions you anticipate using
    during the hunt—three shots each, totaling 12 shots.

On top of this Weatherby has been supporting the site and recently we were using the Weatherby 307 in 6.5CM, but soon we'll be looking at the Alpine models for the site.

The Alpine CT https://weatherby.com/store/model-307-alpine-ct/

And the Alpine MDT which is what I like for a hunting stock

Alpine MDT https://weatherby.com/store/model-307-alpine-mdt-carbon/

What are you doing to prepare, what caliber / cartridge will you be shooting ?

I'm a little late this year as I just finished load development that I'm happy with for my hunting rifle, but part of my preparation is shooting a cold bore shot from my rifle at max distance (for me, 550y/500m), on relative size target from a tripod, whether standing, kneeling or sitting, or prone from bipod. I only shoot my hunting rifle from those positions since those are the only positions I'll have in the field.

First shot of the day (cold bore/shooter) every time I go to the range, then the hunting rifle gets put away. Otherwise it's just dry fire at home from tripod.

I'm shooting a 7mm SAW with 168gr Berger VLD.

Is it going to be a classroom class or online series? Looking for instructional videos to watch with my 12yo and maybe wife for hunting this year. Trying to stretch their range a little more by focusing on fundamentals.

My 300 wsm is dialed.
    Origin, Proof, Manners, Hawkins, and Leupold VX5.
    SD over 40 rds is 7.2
    2 weeks ago cold bore POA/POI at 600 were exact same. Over several shots, with time and rebuilding in between.
    Loads of dry fire to be ready, as LR shooting time is limited.

Oh wait. CO sucks and a 2+ decade resident couldnt get a cow elk rifle tag despite trying 2x. 😡

Dont worry, shooting archery like mad (but not too dialed at 600 yds), will hunt with Bow in late Sept.

Also physical training, loads of endurance weight lifting and cardio.
    Runs, stairs, stairmaster, red rocks stairs with weighted pack.

Hunting with a friend I made via Snipershide.

My 300 wsm is dialed.
    Origin, Proof, Manners, Hawkins, and Leupold VX5.
    SD over 40 rds is 7.2
    2 weeks ago cold bore POA/POI at 600 were exact same. Over several shots, with time and rebuilding in between.
    Loads of dry fire to be ready, as LR shooting time is limited.

Oh wait. CO sucks and a 2+ decade resident couldnt get a cow elk rifle tag despite trying 2x. 😡

Dont worry, shooting archery like mad (but not too dialed at 600 yds), will hunt with Bow in late Sept.

Also physical training, loads of endurance weight lifting and cardio.
    Runs, stairs, stairmaster, red rocks stairs with weighted pack.

Hunting with a friend I made via Snipershide.
    Did you go through the left over list? There are unlimited bull tags in some units also. I used to over by Grand Junction and hunt their 4th rifle bull tag. I grabbed a white tail only tag for a bunch of units that are proabaly 95 percent mule deer. Lol

There are some buck tags down by Trinidad. You have to apply for hunting access on the two SWAs in that unit by July. So don't grab one and think you can go hunt the "public land."

It's sad what DOW and CPW have done to hunting and land access in this state over the last 40 years.

super cool!

This reminds me think of the method that Chuck (Vietnam vet) has done for years.

He walks a milk jug out to roughly 200 yards, sets up the jug, and take one shot. Then he will pack up his stuff and leave, and maybe the next day he will stop by that place or another place and do the same thing. Sometimes he rested off his car, sometimes the ground, or other available supports.

He never missed game animals.

Reactions: Aftermath and lash
    I saw a guy at the range yesterday doing some load development for his hunting rifle. He had a nice four shot group that was under half an inch. This thing was dialed in. He sat there paralyzed with indecision because he didn't want to screw up his group with a bad fifth shot. I was thinking if he can't pull the trigger shooting groups, how the hell is he going to pull the trigger when there's a elk in his sights..... He was literally shaking he was so nervous.

Did you go through the left over list? There are unlimited bull tags in some units also. I used to over by Grand Junction and hunt their 4th rifle bull tag. I grabbed a white tail only tag for a bunch of units that are proabaly 95 percent mule deer. Lol

There are some buck tags down by Trinidad. You have to apply for hunting access on the two SWAs in that unit by July. So don't grab one and think you can go hunt the "public land."

It's sad what DOW and CPW have done to hunting and land access in this state over the last 40 years.

I did.

I want to hunt with my buddies who drew the tag for the unit I have hunted for 17 years…..
    I know a lot of it pretty well.

I need a cow tag list B as the either sex OTC archery is list A.

Its all good.

I have archery and my daughter (winner of the back to school contest, first year legal to hunt in CO) has 2 elk tags (2nd season OTC bull to go with her doe and buck tags and late season cow) and a half useless dad/guide.
    Rather she shoot and I just cut n carry.
    Be awesome for her to get an elk.
    We have plenty of wall space and all heads get a euro mount for her!!!

I did.

I want to hunt with my buddies who drew the tag for the unit I have hunted for 17 years…..
    I know a lot of it pretty well.

I need a cow tag list B as the either sex OTC archery is list A.

Its all good.

I have archery and my daughter (winner of the back to school contest, first year legal to hunt in CO) has 2 elk tags (2nd season OTC bull to go with her doe and buck tags and late season cow) and a half useless dad/guide.
    Rather she shoot and I just cut n carry.
    Be awesome for her to get an elk.
    We have plenty of wall space and all heads get a euro mount for her!!!
    Can you get a list A and B or something? If so I need to find another deer tag. Lol. Used to be you could only get one.

Reactions: powdahound76