• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I have a case stuck!

guncrazy72

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
North GA
I was depriming and resizing brass the other night and one of my cases did not have enough case lube on it and now it is stuck in the die. Can anyone suggest a way to get my brass out with out having to buy something else? I am using Lee dies.

Thanks

Re: I have a case stuck!

Take the decapping pin out then get a punch or rod that will slide thru the hole in the top of the die where the decapping pin was and easily tap the case out from the top. Can also try putting downward pressure on the reloading handle as your tapping on the punch to help with removal.

Forget what I said above you can't do it that way. Had a brain fart or someone put something in my drink.

Thanks for correcting me Downzero!

DON'T TRY TO GET IT OUT FROM THE TOP! You will break or bend your decapping pin that way.

Get a 1/4-20 tap, a 3/8" close pipe nipple, and a few bolts and 1/4" flat washers. Drill out the primer pocket, tap it to 1/4-20, and use the bolt, washers, and pipe nipple to pull the stuck case from the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Let me guess, you were using Hornady One Shot!!??
</div></div>

Hey Hey Hey.... Those who use it love it
wink.gif

See my post above!

You know I've stuck a case once and after rereading the thread, I can't remember how I got it out. But I know I don't forget to lube my cases anymore when reload rifle ammo.

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. I watched the video that turbohardtop posted and that worked fine. I was using one shot case lube. I have never had a problem with it in the past but I guess I did not spray enough onto the cases.

Thanks again!

I loaded 15 years before I stuck my first case.

A wise old man I used to work with that had loaded since WW2 told me "there are those that have stuck cases, and those that are about to". He has been pretty much right on everything he has said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loaded 15 years before I stuck my first case.

</div></div>

Didn't take me that long......
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richardj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't that guy from the "Shooter". movie was it?

"Paper patch circ 1850....."

Sorry, couldn't resist
cool.gif

RJ
</div></div>

I thought of him when I first saw the movie. He was almost as informative as the character of which you speak. He knew all the old guns and ammo as well as the newer versions. He had books telling how to load for the H&H double rifles that looked like 50 caliber or .500 Jeffreys. The bullets looked almost like a roll of US pennys.

When we met we were both working for a government contractor. And he had worked for other contractors. I just don't think it was the agency in the movie. Come to think of it, he lived within 50 miles of the guy in the movie too.

Naaa. Surely not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Cordrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loaded 15 years before I stuck my first case.</div></div>
Didn't take me that long......
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Shoot, my first stuck case was a 38 Special with a carbide die!
laugh.gif

I don't like stuck cases. It slows me down. I avoid as best I can.

My first was a 7 mag. What a learning experience that was! No internet in those days. My second happened 30 years later while showing my son-in-law how to reload. (good instruction, Huh?) So I showed him how to drill and tap the primer pocket and use the threaded rod and nuts with a piece of 1/8" steel stock to remove it. Now he knows for WHEN it happens to him.

Mike in ABQ

Loosen the nut[Collet] on top of the die and use a punch on top of the decapping pin to knock it out with hammer,you can apply downward pressure at the same time and it will come out. then cut the case off of the decapping pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loaded 15 years before I stuck my first case.

A wise old man I used to work with that had loaded since WW2 told me "there are those that have stuck cases, and those that are about to". He has been pretty much right on everything he has said. </div></div>

Kinda like a cross fire. I haven't stuck one yet but now that we've talked about it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a stuck case removal tool. Let me guess, you were using Hornady One Shot!!??
</div></div>

Nothing reminds me of Hornady One Shot like a stuck case thread
grin.gif

Wow, this thread had perfect timing and bad juju. It finally happened to me after 35 years of handloading yesterday of all things. Removing the stuck case is trival but my pride is hurting.
frown.gif

Sadly I was using Hornady One Shot as I forgot the Imperial/Redding sizing wax at my other reloading room.

oops.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sadly I was using Hornady One Shot as I forgot the Imperial/Redding sizing wax at my other reloading room. </div></div>

wow I've yet to have a stuck case in the few short years that I've been using one shot.
So I guess before one shot came along there must have been no stuck cases.

Oh well, I'll just continue to follow the instructions and spray and pray.

On the Dillon 650 I use their product in the pump bottle and have had no problems in 10 years. But I do remember to shake it really good before using it. I spray the cases in a box top for copy paper. Then I roll them around a while and let them dry. By the time the case feeder starts feeding them in they are good to go.

But for single stage stuff I use the Imperial wax.