I need a new house vac.

Re: I need a new house vac.

I've seen a whole lot of advice on this site... Most of it saying not to clean, apparrently it ruins things, especially barrels. How you apply that info to a house or vacuum, is up to you...

1) Yes, Dyson are worth EVERY penny. Get one. Stay away from the 'Animal' versions even if you have animals. These are popular because people who have pets think they have to have one but for the extra $100 all you get is a few more attachments and a different color accent (purple instead of yellow). Other than that it's the same motor, same housing and same everything else. You can spend the money but you aren't getting a heck of a lot for that $100 IMO.

2) If you were in CO I actually have a brand new Dyson still in the box I ended up with but we already have (and love) one. I can check into shipping if you're interested but it may be high. By the time we added shipping to what I need out of it the savings over buying local probably wouldn't be a lot.

Thanks guys for the help and opinions. Its just driving me nuts. Thank you Jer for the offer. If I only lived in CO.

I have thought about and researched Dyson and Miele on Amazon. Its like trying to buy a new car. Good and bad reviews.

I will probaly have to go with the cheaper one of either brand.

Keep ideas coming my way please. I need to figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Yes, Dyson are worth EVERY penny. Get one. Stay away from the 'Animal' versions even if you have animals. These are popular because people who have pets think they have to have one but for the extra $100 all you get is a few more attachments and a different color accent (purple instead of yellow). Other than that it's the same motor, same housing and same everything else. You can spend the money but you aren't getting a heck of a lot for that $100 IMO.

2) If you were in CO I actually have a brand new Dyson still in the box I ended up with but we already have (and love) one. I can check into shipping if you're interested but it may be high. By the time we added shipping to what I need out of it the savings over
buying local probably wouldn't be a lot. </div></div>

I 2nd that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my wife a Dyson after she tried 5 or 6 different ones, she says its amazing compared to the others. </div></div>

This was exactly what we did too. My wife tried probably 6 or 7 vacuum cleaners over the years and once I got her a Dyson... we were done shopping for vacuum cleaners. She LOVES it and it does an amazing job of cleaning. For those saying cheap vacuum cleaners work just as well clean your carpets with them and then borrow someone's Dyson to see what you're missing.

I have a 1972 Hoover. The thing just works.

I was hoping it would die so I could buy a Dyson but even when the handle cracked I called up Hoover and they sent a new one...

It's an industrial strength - lot of hotels STILL use these...but a Dyson is next on my list..

I know we're gonna get some sh&t for talking appliances on a shooting forum, but...

Get the Dyson. Its worth the extra money.

...or so Susan tells me, I mean....

And I, I mean Susan, seconds Jer's advice to save the money on the Animal.

My buddies vac stopped working (can't remember the brand) and he took it to Sears. As a standard check to see if the internal hose was clogged, they hooked a Dyson up to it, and sucked the blockage out. His vacuum was working again and my wife got a Dyson. She said it's the best she has ever used.

we had a sales rep come out to show us "Tristar" (can find them on ebay). this thing sucked up dog hair that was from the people before we bought the house. and our carpets had been shampooed twice and is thoroughly cleaned weekly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 1972 Hoover. The thing just works.

I was hoping it would die so I could buy a Dyson but even when the handle cracked I called up Hoover and they sent a new one...

It's an industrial strength - lot of hotels STILL use these...but a Dyson is next on my list.. </div></div>

Don't even get me started on Hoover. My grand parents bought me one when I moved out of my mom's place back in the day and I think they paid somewhere around $1500 for the thing. Top of the line. All the attachments you can get. Made of metal... strong like bull! Well, being as I was a young male it went into the closet and got used twice that I recall in the many years leading up to my wife moving in with me. She had some plastict-y POS that she bought at Walmart and loved it. Her mom used one too and they went through these piles of shit like every few months and she only vacuumed monthly so that's not saying much for these cheap things. I kept saying to use my Kirby. She wouldn't have it because it was too heavy. The day I let that thing go for $40 at a garage sale I wanted to cry. The people that bought it couldn't get their money out quick enough. At least everyone else was happy that day. Them for getting a good deal and my wife because she won. Fast forward a few years and we got a Dyson after several crappy and progressively more expensive pieces of dog crap from China-Mart. She's happy so I'm happy and the only time I think of that Kirby is from time to time when I hear it's haunting motor in my nightmares.
grin.gif

I tried a few different brands, but ended up returning them all and getting the Dyson. Mine is the standard upright model, the yellow colored one.

After buying a new vac every year I finally spent the money and treated the missus to a Dyson. Its never skipped a beat and is as tough as old boots. It's had a hard life as we have two cats and a GSD that seem to shed more fur than is possible...

Wow. I haven't been a member here long, but I've been a lurker for a long, long time. I would never have guessed that vacuum cleaners would be a topic for discussion. I hope you are a bachelor at least.

Maybe send Maser a P.M. and he will hook you up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ben777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are killer. I really do appreciate all the help. I love all the responses.

I think I have made a decision and partially based off the near future sale of a custom knife hopefully. My best bet is the DC14 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-All-Floors-Cyclone-Upright-Cleaner/dp/B0007LJO2C </div></div>

You won't be disappointed. That's the one we decided on after a fair bit of research. The brand new one I have is a DC17 which has a few more features but we just don't need them. I have it on Craigslist but I may even list it in the for sale section here too now that I know there's this much interest in vacuum cleaners.
cool.gif

Another solution - put hardwood floors in.

I did hardwood in my kitchen and dining room and wouldn't go back.

Sure you gotta sweep once a day with a dust mop broom - takes 1 minute...

Warm on the feet, looks better than carpet, and every day you sweep it you can say "This would have been INSIDE my carpet???".

I'm going to finish the living room in the same high dollar wood some day, bamboo for my room...

You want a vacuum that will last forever get this one:

http://www.kirby.com/Portals/0/index2.html

We used to have an Oreck, was a terrible vacuum. The Kirby cleans great. Get a free demonstration and you'll see. Vacuum your house first and then watch as the kirby lifts out all the dirt your vacuum missed. I am not affiliated with Kirby in any way. Just have a vacuum.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">calling " dealing DAN the rug sucking man".......

</div></div>

No no that's Dan the muffler man.

If your car sounds like an old tin can.
take it to the muffler man, the muffler man the muffler man, Dan Fast is his name.

I haven 't heard that commercial in 15 years but dammit if I can get it out of my head!

I spent 2 grand on a Rainbow recently...wife fell hook lin and sinker for the sales pitch.

She hates it.

The damn thing will clean shit like you would not believe, but it is one of those that you have to drag around with th hose and dump the water out when you're done.

Best vacuum cleaner I have ever seen, but also the biggest pain in the ass.

I would trade it for 2 Dysons (one for each level) if anyone is interested.

FUCK DYSON! every three months that fuckin' thing is in the shop getting repaired. I new brush bar or belt most of the time. Dyson pays for most of it but I am without a vacuum for a week. After spending that kind of money on a vacuum I cant justify spending more on another one

My mom still has the same Kirby as when I was growing up, those things are built like a brick shit house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddies vac stopped working (can't remember the brand) and he took it to Sears. As a standard check to see if the internal hose was clogged, they hooked a Dyson up to it, and sucked the blockage out. His vacuum was working again and my wife got a Dyson. She said it's the best she has ever used.</div></div>

That's pretty funny and says a lot for the Dyson. I don't have one yet (maybe for Christmas) but my Mom does and she loves it says she wishes she had gotten it a long time ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean a Craftsman Shopvac isn't good enough?
grin.gif
</div></div>

The more MPH the better!(shop vac)
Whole house systems are great.
May have to try a Dyson if the old Rainbow ever goes out in the camper.

I've got a Dyson. When I first got it I vaccumed with the old one and then again with the Dyson. I was suprised at the amount of dirt that came up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want a vacuum that will last forever get this one:

http://www.kirby.com/Portals/0/index2.html

We used to have an Oreck, was a terrible vacuum. The Kirby cleans great. Get a free demonstration and you'll see. Vacuum your house first and then watch as the kirby lifts out all the dirt your vacuum missed. I am not affiliated with Kirby in any way. Just have a vacuum.

Jamie </div></div>

Kirby is to vacuums what GAP is to rifles. Wife brought a newer Rainbow to the marriage and when a Kirby door knocker came to the door I said sure, you wont pick up much...he laughed and said wait. That Kirby pulled up more junk than I cared to see. I learned a lesson, if you want the dirt to stay, go cheap. If you want it gone, spend a few bucks.

We ended up buying the Kirby, G6 Diamond and it is built like a tank. US made (Ohio) with lifetime warranty.

My mom still runs a Kirby she purchased in 1988. It still sucks like a $20 crack whore.

I would give anything for wood floors but right now I am stuck with carpet. Those Kirby vacs are the stuff but any extra funds are going to a new rifle. LOL. I feel the need to just get the Dyson and spend anything else on a the rifle.
grin.gif

I hate those Dyson suckers! I have some German 220v brand and man 220 is the only way to go! The thing was decently cheap but has the power of a jet engine!

Only reason I hate Dyson is because for us they didnt really work all that well I didnt think and my last name is Kirby so...

http://www.squidoo.com/KenmoreProgressive
This is your best buy for your dollar . Kenmore progressive . I bought it about 1-1/2 ago and it is great . Vacuums like a champ . I would buy another .
Kirby kicksAss, I have the Kirby and the motor still go strong for 20-years . ' Nothing ' bad to say about Kirby but only recent being married to the Mercedes prices-$ on parts repairs & upkeep on it .
You will read reviews about how heavy the Kenmore is and it just makes me laugh, because if my Kirby did Not have both, ' auto, forward & reverse Transmission ' ( & it does ) it would be un-marketable .

Jesus H. Christ, sweepers?!

This site is for precision shooting. Go search Consumer Reports. Maybe pick up the latest copy of Good Housekeeping.

Don't forget your apron!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus H. Christ, sweepers?!

This site is for precision shooting. Go search Consumer Reports. Maybe pick up the latest copy of Good Housekeeping.

Don't forget your apron! </div></div>

Spoken authoritative and passionate from man most likely not confident of his own manhood . Is that why you feel the need to remind others not to forget to wear there Apron ? Or is it because you prefer your men wearing aprons while you watch them Vacuum ?
Bear Pit = General Site Discussion, please refrain from posting political or religious topics.
' General Site Discussion' for shooters and there thoughts. HMmmmmm, I wonder what that means ?
If your are offended with Vacuum equipment info asked for and advice given . feel free to Not clik-on this Thread in the ' General Site Discussion' area and read it . so Go fuck yourself and cry somewhere else to others that might give a flying rats ass to what you don't like to read about .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus H. Christ, sweepers?!

Don't forget your apron! </div></div>

Spoken authoritative and passionate from man most likely not confident of his own manhood . Is that why you feel the need to remind others not to forget to wear there Apron ? Or is it because you prefer your men wearing aprons while you watch them Vacuum ?
Bear Pit = General Site Discussion, please refrain from posting political or religious topics.
' General Site Discussion' for shooters and there thoughts. HMmmmmm, I wonder what that means ?
If your are offended with Vacuum equipment info asked for and advice given . feel free to Not clik-on this Thread in the ' General Site Discussion' area and read it . so Go fuck yourself and cry somewhere else to others that might give a flying rats ass to what you don't like to read about .
. </div></div>

Well said brother.
laugh.gif

I am almost tempted to start putting down laminant flooring throughout the whole house. And then I could just buy one of the cheap jobs that has the clothe on the bottum. Swifer or Swifter. Whatever they are called?

I swear if I ever build a new house it will have wood floors and walls. So I can just mop the whole house.
cool.gif