• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I want a nice old Mannlicher-Schoenauer!

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
Not so much interested in the military version but more so a old custom. Just one of those rifles I've always wanted but didn't get around to yet. Proud owners/ex please comment about them, but especially I'd really like to see some pics!

I'm thinking of 6.5x54 or 257 Roberts to keep the recoil down and what I get will be a worker first, collector second.

My father had a beautify MS in 6.5X54, my bother inherited it and loaned it to a guy and we haven't seen it since.

I have a MS barreled action, chambered in 7mm Mauser. but the Mannlicker-Schoenauer puts the caliber on the action which says Kal. 8 Norm

My action is 8 Norm (which I believe is the 8X51 K). So I ordered a reamer and head space gages but haven't got around to getting a barrel and putting it together. Its suppose to be .323 instead of the normal .318 8mm rifles. I never heard of an 8MM Norm.

First thought that it was the Norma magnum but the bolt face doesn't match. So I'm thinking its a 8x51 K, short mauser which is what Crymer told me when I orderd the reamer.

From what I read it was a somewhat popular European hunting round in its day.

Its on my list to build if I ever get off my butt to do it;

My father has two, Both MCA models purchased in Germany in the 60s when he was stationed there. One is a 243 Carbine full stock and one is a 270 standard stock. His are set up with german claw mounts and double set triggers.
The thing that impressed me when he brings them out is that the bolt action is so smooth that with the bolt open and to the rear (ON an EMPTY Chamber) if you pull the trigger and give the rifle a little shake the bolt will completely close on its own weight.
beautiful guns, one day they will go to my boys.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/m-s_carbine.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Rothhammer1
I have a couple and I have a real soft spot for them. IMHO, the most beautiful of the bolt action rifles when executed well. And the Germans and Austrians styled them well!

They can be very inexpensive if you are a handloader and willing to go with an odd caliber. And you can get most of the odd caliber brass. In the off-calibers, they can be Inexpensive enough that it is worth getting into handloading... just to load for the rifle.

Gunbroker always has a few at any one time, and if you are patient, you can get a smoking deal!

I've found a few at gun shows lately, because everyone seems to be buying crappy black rifles and leaving magnificent pieces of art on tables unsold. But have not been buying just because I have other priorities.

I was a bad boy last year and bought a custom Mannlicher in .416 Taylor. Buffalo gun! Claw mount removable scope. Spent way too much on it, but worth every penny.

Issues with them? None that I know. Set triggers can be finnickey. But they are great when working well. Repairs can often be difficult if you don't have a standard action. Occasionally, you come across 'guild' guns that are made from scratch, usually from a group of craftsmen, each doing their specialty. These are utterly amazing pieces and often are inexpensive as they don't have a 'brand' name associated with them. The downside is that if anything goes wrong... everything has to be fixed from scratch. But, again, these guns can be worth it.

Nice to see a fellow M-S enthusiast here! You have fine taste in rifles.

I expect Buffalo will chime in as well. I suspect he has some gems!

Cheers,

Sirhr

[FONT=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]I don't have a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, but am fond of the styling/genre of that type of rifle. I have a Ross 10E and a Winchester 1917 that are contemporaries[/FONT]
oBqa3lBl.jpg

Q4l1dkXl.jpg

My father had a beautify MS in 6.5X54, my bother inherited it and loaned it to a guy and we haven't seen it since.

I have a MS barreled action, chambered in 7mm Mauser. but the Mannlicker-Schoenauer puts the caliber on the action which says Kal. 8 Norm

My action is 8 Norm (which I believe is the 8X51 K). So I ordered a reamer and head space gages but haven't got around to getting a barrel and putting it together. Its suppose to be .323 instead of the normal .318 8mm rifles. I never heard of an 8MM Norm.

First thought that it was the Norma magnum but the bolt face doesn't match. So I'm thinking its a 8x51 K, short mauser which is what Crymer told me when I orderd the reamer.

From what I read it was a somewhat popular European hunting round in its day.

Its on my list to build if I ever get off my butt to do it;

Decent amount of work but yes it's about time to do some so you can give the range report and pics.

Ah my crazy uncle Ross.... Not making that up. He was a relative. I have two Ross rifles. One bought that is an ex U.S. military rifle with lots of funny proof marks. Assume an evaluation piece. One handed down.

Also my Grandfather's Ross Bayonet from WW1 which, for some reason, he sharpened and turned into a fighting knife. Even though he was an artillery officer and never went near the front. Well, boys will be boys. I probably would have done the same thing.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
My father has two, Both MCA models purchased in Germany in the 60s when he was stationed there. One is a 243 Carbine full stock and one is a 270 standard stock. His are set up with german claw mounts and double set triggers.
The thing that impressed me when he brings them out is that the bolt action is so smooth that with the bolt open and to the rear (ON an EMPTY Chamber) if you pull the trigger and give the rifle a little shake the bolt will completely close on its own weight.
beautiful guns, one day they will go to my boys.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/m-s_carbine.htm

My dad was stationed in Ramstein in the late 60's. Too bad he didn't buy a MCA. He did get a SAKO Finnwolf though which is my favorite heirloom.

Can't wait to try the bolt on a MS again. I was just at a gunstore a few days ago messing with one, it's been 20 years since I last did so the fire was rekindled.

I have a couple and I have a real soft spot for them. IMHO, the most beautiful of the bolt action rifles when executed well. And the Germans and Austrians styled them well!

They can be very inexpensive if you are a handloader and willing to go with an odd caliber. And you can get most of the odd caliber brass. In the off-calibers, they can be Inexpensive enough that it is worth getting into handloading... just to load for the rifle.

Gunbroker always has a few at any one time, and if you are patient, you can get a smoking deal!

I've found a few at gun shows lately, because everyone seems to be buying crappy black rifles and leaving magnificent pieces of art on tables unsold. But have not been buying just because I have other priorities.

I was a bad boy last year and bought a custom Mannlicher in .416 Taylor. Buffalo gun! Claw mount removable scope. Spent way too much on it, but worth every penny.

Issues with them? None that I know. Set triggers can be finnickey. But they are great when working well. Repairs can often be difficult if you don't have a standard action. Occasionally, you come across 'guild' guns that are made from scratch, usually from a group of craftsmen, each doing their specialty. These are utterly amazing pieces and often are inexpensive as they don't have a 'brand' name associated with them. The downside is that if anything goes wrong... everything has to be fixed from scratch. But, again, these guns can be worth it.

Nice to see a fellow M-S enthusiast here! You have fine taste in rifles.

I expect Buffalo will chime in as well. I suspect he has some gems!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Yep I do reload!

Seems like the nicer examples are running in the $2000-2500 range. I'd kinda like to buy semi local if possible and not in a huge hurry so I'll keep checking around. I'd like to have the old Lyman peep version with a period old scope too. I also noticed some have rear tang sights, aren't those nifty! It'd be fun to shoot long range with irons and the scope.

Yeah, hope to join the club! Thanks for the info and congrats on the 416.

Ross trivia. I compete in an old olympic moving target event called "Running deer". The deer target crosses an opening of 25yds@100m in 4.6sec. Lead is about 20moa/6milwith std cf cartriges like 308. However, in doubles you have to doubletap the target on one run, 4.6sec. Boltactions and straight pulls are the norm. Hammerguns like pump and levers are out due to locktime.

Just after ww1 some shooters converted Ross and Steyr M95 to tromboneactions to compete in running deer comps with a new mousetrap. The rifles were cut in two just in front of the triggerguard/behind the magazine. The two parts were connected with rails on each side of the rifle. The bolt was fixed to the rear part so when the shooter cyceled the barrel/magazine part forward(trombone), opening the contraption, the empty case was ejected. When the shooter pulled the barrel/magazine part backwards again the action closed, chambered a new round from the mag and cocked the action.

I've only seen pictures of converted Ross rifles but a shooting buddy has his late fathers (1952 Olympic Champ) Steyr M95M converted to trombone in 6.5x55. This Steyr was converted in the late 40'ies. Who said the Krieghoff Sempiro rifle was a new innovation?

Last edited:
I have a 1962 Styer MS MC 243 Win that has a QD mount 4-10x Nikel Supra scope that the glass is kinda funky around the edges but still functions,,the recoil plate has been replaced with a pad but was done very well,,the front site hood is also missing,,other than that it is a very solid piece,,has no import marks that I can find,,,I have thought about selling and thought about keeping it,,I checked with New England Custom Guns about replacing the scope and they can do it but will be expensive,,

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012281_zpsd41b863c.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012282_zps986d0d74.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012283_zpsbb2e294f.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012285_zps1506fdbe.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012292_zps8ffa6c23.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012290_zpsf14855f2.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012289_zps1122c4fa.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012288_zps69630e05.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012296_zps3945a5a9.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012295_zpsdf405a37.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/styer\/4102012293_zps6dd13dc2.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
thats one reason I havent sold it is I dont know enough about them to price it ,,if the scope was 100% or an easy way to replace it I wouldnt even consider selling it,,it is by far the nicest hunting rifle I have ever handled,,the action and rotary magazine are works of art and the full stock handles and points like a good shotgun,,then if you spotted a good buck at 350 yards you could set the triggers and touch off a very precise shot,

if you was putting it at auction what kind of reserve would you set??

I have been collecting mannlicher schoenauers for about 20 years. Here is a pic of the centerpiece of my collection. A 1903 with embellished and mounted ny Johan Springer of Vienna.

Attachments

• 0504161906.jpg
    0504161906.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 99
The muzzle cap,magazine floorplate,trigger guard and butt plate have all been gold plated. Side of wood on wrist is marked Austria which they only did for rifles bound for export to english speaking countries and the safety is inlaid gold lettering "safe" and "fire" scope and mount have rifles sn stamped.

Peep sights were attached on the back of the bolt or on a spring loaded flip up that the bolt would ride over. The later option was usually done on take down models. Sometimes non take downs would have a take down stock if the buyer wanted a peep sight.

MrBig:

I'd probably put a reserve of $2500 on it. But that's a base.

If I were offering it 'retail' I'd probably ask $3250 and take... less.

IMHO for a well-executed Steyr... that's in the ballpark. Not that I'd ever sell it! Beautiful piece!

Perhaps some folks more familiar with recent auction prices, etc. might jump in with revisions?

Cheers,

Sirhr

First, Tor... Good to see you back! Been a while.

I would LOVE to see a picture of one of those. Very cool!

Cheers,

Sirhr

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for trombone action ross rifle","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"188","width":"800","src":"http:\/\/thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws.com\/2010\/07\/116781_0ffc8aca86adcbc30c2a73ddf2f97f22.JPG"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for trombone action ross rifle","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"430","width":"800","src":"http:\/\/thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws.com\/2010\/07\/116784_1040b596608f13bb602d4a394f7b2213.JPG"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for trombone action ross rifle","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"219","width":"800","src":"http:\/\/thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws.com\/2010\/07\/116783_11c6f2d73249ba8eba51a050c172a515.JPG"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for trombone action ross rifle","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"538","width":"717","src":"http:\/\/thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws.com\/2010\/07\/116782_cdb98640c0671dc2294493a692d84f2f.JPG"}[/IMG2]

I just love these rifles and especially pics of them.

One thing that drives me nuts though, (hate to be a negative Nelly) is when people call a full stocked rifle a Mannlicher or Mannlicher Schoenauer. Mannlicher is the action, Schoenauer is the magazine (rotary like a Savage 99). The stock is just a full stock that some models of military rifles had. SMLE's had full stocks.;)FCOL.:cool:

Added: I popped back in to say I'm on GB getting my M-S fix.

Last edited:
Looky here!

One 1914 in 6.5x54MS. A few nicks and scratches but otherwise very nice. Came with dies, brass and loaded rounds. Did some load work myself with Hornady 130 SST's going 2550 fps. Hard sights to see for these old eyes but I got a few 2 moa groups at 50Y and 100Y.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/zUwdoD9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I should have waited for a peep sighted later version Mannlicher. Current sights are fine for deer sized game at 250Y or so but being that hindsight is 20/20 and my eyes aren't I should have waited til a peep version came along in 257 Roberts which I know now is what is I want. Trade???

QlKUic1.jpg

Steve,

That's a purty rifle! I gotta say, I've wanted a 6.5x54 for a long while. That has to be one of the easiest big game shooting rifles around. Obviously, you've got issues with the sights, but how does it handle other than that?

If I may suggest on the sights (I can't see in your pics) you get a hood for the front sight. I've got a couple "express" type set ups and agree, they are not for distance. Not, at least, without a lot of thinking before the shot is made. Is the rear sight counter-bored?

Added: IMO, while this rifle would be nice in .257 Roberts, there is nothing better than a .257 Roberts on an Argentino 1909.;):cool:

Steve,

That's a purty rifle! I gotta say, I've wanted a 6.5x54 for a long while. That has to be one of the easiest big game shooting rifles around. Obviously, you've got issues with the sights, but how does it handle other than that?

If I may suggest on the sights (I can't see in your pics) you get a hood for the front sight. I've got a couple "express" type set ups and agree, they are not for distance. Not, at least, without a lot of thinking before the shot is made. Is the rear sight counter-bored?

Added: IMO, while this rifle would be nice in .257 Roberts, there is nothing better than a .257 Roberts on an Argentino 1909.;):cool:

Thanks guys!

Sand, the rifle fits me great and the stocks cheek height is near perfect for my face shape so I'm looking right down the express sights. Balance is wonderful so the rifle shines shooting it offhand. Trigger is good, but it's got that early 1900's two stage trigger feel with a decent clean break but lighter than most military triggers. Feed and function is fine. The main attraction to me is the super smooth action, even by today's custom action standards it's slick. I like the satin finish on the metal, whoever did it knew what they were doing. Sounds funny but I like to leave the last round in the mag so I can push the button as I watch the round pop out into my hand.

Most of the problem with the sights is me, the close distance from my eye to the front sight on this rifle is wrong for me. Literally a few more inches would make a big difference. My eye focuses much better with a front sight that's at the end of long barrel like my 40x and 521T has. I know the rifle will shoot tighter because I'll get 3-4 shots into 1 moa or so and then 1-2 off next to each other. A hood is a good idea!

For some reason I've never owned a 25 cal??? In my mind this type of rifle is a perfect candidate for a 25 with peeps. Almost as neat as 1909 Argentino, wink.

A friend has life sized animal shaped steel up the hill behind his house which is what I like to shoot at with the Mannlicher.

Steve,

I am kidding about needing a 1909. That's really a case of which governments paid to have the actions finished out nicely. Most civilian rifles were finished out better than most military rifles. Some obvious exceptions there.

Truth is any civilian Mannlicher like yours will be every bit as smooth, or better than some of the better finished out Mausers.
Some others that come to mind are any of the Swede's, Mexican 1910's (from the thirties) and especially the model 1936. Czech made Persians and Prussian (Polish) Danzig's from early war times were really smooth too. I love a smooth bolt action!

Last edited:
Steve,

I am kidding about needing a 1909. That's really a case of which governments paid to have the actions finished out nicely. Most civilian rifles were finished out better than most military rifles. Some obvious exceptions there.

There was no 'Civilian' 1909 model MS and the only 'Government' (military entity) that purchased the Mannlicher Schoenauer was Greece.

The 'Steyr 1914' stamping on left rail was a manufacture date of an arm built to fulfill one of the Greek contracts which were Y1903, Y1903/14, Y1903/14/27, or 'System 1930'.

Commercial (sporting) MS were marked 'Oesrerr. Waffenfabr. Ges-Steyr' on the left rail until the name was changed to 'Steyr Werke AG' in 1926.

Commercial models corresponded to their proprietary MS cartridges in the early (pre 1924) years. M1903 - 6.5X54, M1905 - 9X56, M1908 - 8X56, M1910 - 9.5X57. The M____ designation was stamped on the front receiver bridge where the Greek cross (or anchor on rare Navy versions) was stamped on Greek Contract rifles and carbines. In 1924 models were introduced with a longer receiver to accommodate the 'U.S. 1906 Cartridge' (.30-'06). Production continued on the longer receiver to include several chamberings more popular in U.S. and Continental markets.

There was no 'Civilian' 1909 model MS and the only 'Government' (military entity) that purchased the Mannlicher Schoenauer was Greece.

The 'Steyr 1914' stamping on left rail was a manufacture date of an arm built to fulfill one of the Greek contracts which were Y1903, Y1903/14, Y1903/14/27, or 'System 1930'.

Commercial (sporting) MS were marked 'Oesrerr. Waffenfabr. Ges-Steyr' on the left rail until the name was changed to 'Steyr Werke AG' in 1926.

Commercial models corresponded to their proprietary MS cartridges in the early (pre 1924) years. M1903 - 6.5X54, M1905 - 9X56, M1908 - 8X56, M1910 - 9.5X57. The M____ designation was stamped on the front receiver bridge where the Greek cross (or anchor on rare Navy versions) was stamped on Greek Contract rifles and carbines. In 1924 models were introduced with a longer receiver to accommodate the 'U.S. 1906 Cartridge' (.30-'06). Production continued on the longer receiver to include several chamberings more popular in U.S. and Continental markets.
It was a general statement about military vs. civilian rifles, not the 1909 specifically. It helps if you read and comprehend what's being said before going off and spouting about what we don't know about customized military rifles.

It was a general statement about military vs. civilian rifles, not the 1909 specifically. It helps if you read and comprehend what's being said before going off and spouting about what we don't know about customized military rifles.

Don’t worry about ol’ Rothhammer1, he apparently joined EARLY this morning with the sole purpose of setting the entire free world (since the beginning of time, based on this necropost) straight on what does and does not constitute proper use of the name “Mannlicher.” This ain’t his only post on the matter… :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: sandwarrior

Don’t worry about ol’ Rothhammer1, he apparently joined EARLY this morning with the sole purpose of setting the entire free world (since the beginning of time, based on this necropost) straight on what does and does not constitute proper use of the name “Mannlicher.” This ain’t his only post on the matter… :ROFLMAO:

Don't worry about ol' Rothhammer, indeed.

I'm neither surprised nor bothered to encounter such fragile egos here.

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
I should have waited for a peep sighted later version Mannlicher.

There were 'peep sighted' MS from the beginning. My 1922 proofed M1910 Take Down Model wears the factory installed 'special folding peep sight' as offered in this 1939 Stoeger catalog:

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 02.jpg
MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer 02.jpg

Westley Richards also used them and a very similar unit was available on Oberndorf Mausers:

MS Folding Peep Westley Ricgards 1912 01.jpg
MS Folding Peep Westley Ricgards 1912 02.jpg
Mauser Peep Stoeger 1939.jpg

Also available pre WW2 were the 'aftermarket' Lyman 1A, Lyman 36, and Parker Hale Sportarget
They can still be found, and are generally rather expensive:

MS Lyman Sights 1A.jpg
MS Lyman 1A 01.jpg

MS Lyman 1A 02.jpg

MS Lyman Sights Detail.jpg
MS Lyman 36 opening.jpg

MS Sportarget.jpg

Newly made 'McLaughlin' sights:

MS McLaughlin Peep Sight 04.jpg
MS McLaughlin Peep Sight 03.png

Do you know an expert machinist?

Steve,

Truth is any civilian Mannlicher like yours will be every bit as smooth, or better than some of the better finished out Mausers.
Some others that come to mind are any of the Swede's, Mexican 1910's (from the thirties) and especially the model 1936. Czech made Persians and Prussian (Polish) Danzig's from early war times were really smooth too. I love a smooth bolt action!

"It helps if you read and comprehend what's being said before going off and spouting about what we don't know about customized military rifles. [sic]"
You posted: "Truth is any civilian Mannlicher like yours will be every bit as smooth, or better than some of the better finished out Mausers."

The OP's MS is not a "civilian Mannlicher", it is a 'sporterized' Y1903/14 'Greek Contract' military arm.

I 'comprehend' that you misidentified it. Regardless, all MS shared the silky smooth 'action', the machining and finish of which added greatly to their expense. The only reason Greece bought them involved the complicated politics / alliances of the day which prevented them from procuring Mausers. They wound up with the superior MS, but at more than twice the cost.

If you'd like to learn more, watch this:

There were 'peep sighted' MS from the beginning. My 1922 proofed M1910 Take Down Model wears the factory installed 'special folding peep sight' as offered in this 1939 Stoeger catalog:

View attachment 8161421View attachment 8161422

Westley Richards also used them and a very similar unit was available on Oberndorf Mausers:

View attachment 8161423 View attachment 8161424 View attachment 8161425

Also available pre WW2 were the 'aftermarket' Lyman 1A, Lyman 36, and Parker Hale Sportarget
They can still be found, and are generally rather expensive:

View attachment 8161426 View attachment 8161427

View attachment 8161428

View attachment 8161431 View attachment 8161432

View attachment 8161435

Newly made 'McLaughlin' sights:

View attachment 8161438 View attachment 8161439

Do you know an expert machinist?

That's some helpful info, thanks, and I'm sure there are some that appreciate it.

I sold mine after a couple years for who knows what else I had the fancy to get back then.

I did notice the thread is nearly six years old, hopefully the information will be useful to others.

I hope you got a good price for yours as it appeared in the photos to have been very well 'sporterized'.

Some examples were built up by 'bespoke' English gunmakers such as Westley Richards, H&H, Rigby, etc. on military actions purchased 'in the white' from OWGS (Steyr).

Regardless, it seems all worked out fine.

Hey guys, could someone help me identifying a mannlicher, I found it locally. On the tag it says Australian Mauser and the rifle is marked Stoeger with the Steyr target and nothing else. No steyr mannlicher on the receiver like I have seen on others. It’s chambered in 6.5x… here is a pic. Just wondering which model it is/ good price. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• DC5EE20B-0E2B-4830-A927-A5A7CC20309D.jpeg
    DC5EE20B-0E2B-4830-A927-A5A7CC20309D.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 61
Hey guys, could someone help me identifying a mannlicher, I found it locally. On the tag it says Australian Mauser and the rifle is marked Stoeger with the Steyr target and nothing else. No steyr mannlicher on the receiver like I have seen on others. It’s chambered in 6.5x… here is a pic. Just wondering which model it is/ good price. Any help is appreciated!

The third rifle from the left is a Mannlicher Schoenauer.

They are Austrian (not Australian), are not Mausers, and are highly desirable.

Mausers after the M1871 had bolts which close behind the rear receiver ring, all true Mannlicher Schoenauers have bolt handles which ride through a 'split bridge', closing in front of rear ring with bolt handle and 'rib' acting as a strong third lug. The center mounted bolt handle also provides superior balance and smoothness to the action. The Schoenauer rotary magazine is vastly superior to 'box' magazines and, if fed with cartridges of proper (original) profile, is absolutely flawless and simply cannot jam.

The photograph shows the distinctive 'swept back' bolt handle of M1952 (GK) and later models, white line spacers, but not much else.

All Mannlicher Schoenauers are quite valuable and desirable if original, unmodified, and in good condition. The 6.5X54 chambering is highly sought after. If the shop owner does not know what it is, you may be looking at a serious bargain.

If the stock 'comb' is straight, it is an M1952. Later models were the MC (Monte Carlo stock) and MCA (Monte Carlo Amerikanische stock), as well as Model NO (special orders).

Stoeger was the U.S. retailer. Here are some period Stoeger Catalog images to guide:

MS 1952 GK 01.jpg

MS Model MC 1962 Stoeger.jpg

MS Model MCA 1962 Stoeger.jpg

Here are images of rear receiver ring stampings for M1952, MC, MCA:

MS M1952 Receiver Ring Stamping.jpg

MS Model MC Receiver Ring Stamping.jpg

MS Model MCA Receiver Ring Stamping.jpg

To add to potential confusion, during the late 1950s / early 1960s, other designations were stamped in the same location of 'Mod 1956', 'Mod 1961' and others to denote the models through various years.

On MS prior to 1925, the model designations were cartridge specific; M1903 was 6.5X54, M1905 - 9X56, M1908 - 8X56, M1910 - 9.5X57, M1924 - .30-'06. Those models did not have the 'Kaliber' marked on the receiver ring, only the model number.

The M1924 had a longer receiver than previous models and a retaining ring added to the Schoenauer rotary magazine which allowed for a wider variance of chambering. Rifles marketed by Stoeger as 'High Velocity' were chambered for several cartridges and had the 'Kaliber' marked on receiver ring rather than any model number.

Post WW2 production resumed with Model 1950 which was initially only chambered for 6.5X54, then for several cartridges as time progressed. The 'Kaliber' was stamped below model designation. M1950 had bolt handle which pointed straight downward as on 'prewar' models. M1952 introduced the angled bolt handle as the rifle in your image.

To identify, go back to the shop and look at the stock 'comb' as well as receiver ring stampings.

I'll watch this thread and advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: postmabail

Need better pictures. But white line grip cap is very indicative of 1970’s either custom or factory stock.

And that Austrian. Mozart, not kangaroos

Sirhr

I listed after a full length stocked 6.5x54 forever. You don’t exactly see them at every pawn shop in the southeast.

Saw one at a gunshow when I was in high school complete with an old (don’t remember the brand) scope and mounts. $1500.00. Someday. I thought.

Fast forward 30 years. Had a new gig with a bit more jingle in my pocket. Was at a fun store in San Antonio and saw a couple full length Mannlichers at the in of the rack in a dark corner. Asked the guy if any were 6.5x54 and how much (I’m thinking I’m gonna shell out $2500 and tell him to ship it to Tennessee!). He said yes, with original scope (again, don’t remember the brand), $4000.00. “Would you like to take a closer look?”

“No, thank you.” I replied as I felt my dreams being crushed under the weight of being a poor………

^ That's why it was still there and probably still is.

The "Australian Mauser" sounds like a great opportunity to get a bargain, if it's priced accordingly. Sadly not knowing what something is, all too often doesn't stop people from having some strange idea of what they think it's worth. You see that online a lot, "we don't know what caliber it is (sometimes they don't even know what make or model it is) , but we still think it's worth $900!"

(Digging up six year old threads just to posture? Or another victim of the "similar threads"?)

Last edited:
^ That's why it was still there and probably still is.

The "Australian Mauser" sounds like a great opportunity to get a bargain, if it's priced accordingly. Sadly not knowing what something is, all too often doesn't stop people from having some strange idea of what they think it's worth. You see that online a lot, "we don't know what caliber it is (sometimes they don't even know what make or model it is) , but we still think it's worth $900!"

(Digging up six year old threads just to posture? Or another victim of the "similar threads"?)
Its the Vintage section. Can't the threads themselves be vintage as well?