• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I want a nice old Mannlicher-Schoenauer!

I listed after a full length stocked 6.5x54 forever. You don’t exactly see them at every pawn shop in the southeast.

Saw one at a gunshow when I was in high school complete with an old (don’t remember the brand) scope and mounts. $1500.00. Someday. I thought.

Fast forward 30 years. Had a new gig with a bit more jingle in my pocket. Was at a fun store in San Antonio and saw a couple full length Mannlichers at the in of the rack in a dark corner. Asked the guy if any were 6.5x54 and how much (I’m thinking I’m gonna shell out $2500 and tell him to ship it to Tennessee!). He said yes, with original scope (again, don’t remember the brand), $4000.00. “Would you like to take a closer look?”

“No, thank you.” I replied as I felt my dreams being crushed under the weight of being a poor………

Nagles?

only shop i know of there that would have that kind of selection.

It was back in very early ‘20, but I looked on another forum where I had inquired about decent gun stores in San Antonio, and I THINK it was Nagle’s.

From an article by Chuck Hawks:

In 1956 the Mannlicher-Schoenauer line was again updated at Stoeger's urging, this time with a Monte Carlo buttstock, producing the Model 1956-MC. The use of telescopic sights had become widespread, which accounts for the high, Monte Carlo comb. White line spacers also appeared at butt plate and grip cap on 1956-MC models. About the same time a Magnum Rifle, based on a similar but larger and stronger M-S action, was introduced. This rifle was produced only in magnum calibers and came with a 25-5/8" barrel.