• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

I was told this about using a ccw as an ID for gun buys...

Sounds like the consensus is that... it depends, at least as far as CCW ID cards. This has been an interesting thread to see how other states do things BUT I'll say that in PA, the CCW (technically called a LTCF) is generally not an accepted form of ID in many places because it's issued at the County level (by the elected Sheriff). That said- legally speaking I suppose a LTCF ID could be used to prove identity and a utility/property tax bill or something of the sort could be used in conjunction with it to prove residency but by and large most FFL's prefer (aka require) a PA state issued DL/ID.

As to your question about whether using your CCW ID to purchase a firearm places you on some sort of automatic registry... again, I'd have to believe it's largely state dependent but that just sounds like a "tall tale" to me. Not necessarily the purchasing a firearm putting you an a registry part, but rather that it's the CCW as an ID that 'triggers' this action. (Again just my thoughts).

I did a brief search but didn't have immediate luck but at some point (I want to say in the 90's) there was a lawsuit here in Pennsylvania that the State Police were using the state mandated forms to create an internal registry. So... that's what about 30 years now (dang it hurts to say it). Long story short, the courts ruled it unconstitutional (although to be accurate, I'm all but certain it was based off of PA's constitution) and the registry was "gone" officially, but the practice in which the PA State Police collected the data to build their data base never did actually change.

Take my word for it or call me out that I'm speaking nonsense, doesn't matter to me personally but I'm quite certain what I'm posting is accurate.

Anyway, I believe someone in this thread previously posted this already but, data is KING these days, and we freely offer it up without even a second thought. Another exercise that might prove educational is to look up how Google is documenting publicly posted firearm serial numbers. Again don't need to take my word on any of that- just check it out for yourself.

Sorry, I'm tired and got long winded. To get to the "meat & potatoes" of your question, do I think by using your CCW as an ID you're in some way volunteering your personal information to be part of some government run database... nah. I think they're going to get that information regardless of what ID you use.

Not sure if this is still the case but it used to be that if you bought more than one handgun in the same transaction, the FFL would have to report you to the ATF. I remember making some purchases over the years that put me in that threshold and the seller warning me about it.

All I could do was laugh and say report me if you must, I'm already on the ATF's list and they practically send me Christmas cards each December. I'm going to do me and do so with as little govt involvement as I can manage.

-LD

Seems that there is some confusion about some acronyms (CCW, NICS,...), from the ATF website:

View attachment 8510732

Point #1 - a CCW license falls under a state permit. The things that would cancel or prevent a CCW would cause a flag during a NICS

Going back to the OPs comment about a cop being able to see what guns you own - I would guess if there is a state registry the cops have access. If there is no state registry then there is not "gun list" for the cop to check.
Some people in here don’t understand their state isn’t the end all be all of names/laws/procedures.

I'm still curious as to the logic behind the OP's incredulous claim.

If I live in a state where presenting a CCW/CPL/LTCF/etc. allows me to avoid a NICS background check, how does this lead to a register entry? There's no call to a government agency.

If the ATF doesn't allow such a thing in my state (usual due to recreation marijuana legalization), then a NICS check most be performed - but that's done via the same process as any other check, and there is no unique identifying information about the firearm transmitted to the FBI.

This whole claim falls apart under the most cursory amount of critical thinking.