• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Ideal data book/ DIY data book?

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm looking to either make my own data book or buy lower cost components and put it together.

I primarily use the Nightforce NPR1 reticle with my rifles and would like some laminated pages of it w/ hold point values. Ideally I would be able to have a few of these for different rifles, loads, and temperatures. Mainly 1 load per rifle but hunting loads on a couple. It would also be nice to have a couple general ranging cards.

Non-laminated pages would include all data collecting.

I'm trying to think what would be the best setup for withstanding water. Either laminated pages with a marker/wax or a combo of both, or all non-laminated pages with a waterproof case... It would be nice if the case could hold a wind meter. Of course I'd like it to be as small and light as possible. Also straps for attaching to gear(molle).

I was thinking it would be nice if i could get a exterior ballistics program that had a card maker function. Either that or I could get pictures of the reticle with hold/ranging points marked out for different ranges and bullet types/speeds.

Re: Ideal data book/ DIY data book?

Just got started using my Impact Data Book and it definitely gives more purpose to my range sessions. It forces me to slow down and think about my shots/results instead of just blasting away like I'm just tempted to do.

Take the time to really study all the page offerings on the impact data books website.

I resisted buying one myself for quite awhile until I was at the range with a buddy who is on the local SWAT sniper team. He showed me the hows and whys of using one and explained why it's important. I too had just been using an old notebook or scribbling on pieces of paper. This worked up to a point, but was just not efficient.

I liked the idea of a data book. My friend has a coil bound pre-made one and after some use even he will admit that there are pages in his that he will probably never use.

Back to my origianl point - spend some time studying all the different pages that you can pick out on the Impact Data site. I'm sure you can find the reticle pages for your scope and if not, they'd probably make them up for you.

With a phone call to Impact and a little studying on your part, you can come up with a whole book that you'll use. When the day comes that you fill up a section, you can just order up some more of those pages you use the most and keep on running. You can just add or remove pages in the 3 ring binder style book. As a note, it will hold many more pages than what you will originally order.

I'm just a no-body, not a professionally trained long distance shooter. I have however seen the light and my shooting sessions are now that much more productive. My data is in one place, laid out the way I like it and I actually get some use out of it.

Impact has it figured out and done it in such a way as to allow you to put together your book, for yourself, for your style and needs. Do it, and you'll be glad you did. No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel here.

If you use a NF, they sell a ballistics program that will allow you to print the data on a small card. You can go to Office Depot and have it laminated.

We use the US Tactical Supply databooks, for the main reason that this is what we were issued at our first school and we've just kept updating them. It's a fine book and does what we need.

That said... Impact is a huge supporter of this site and make a great book from the examples I have seen. Their 'free' targets are great. Their databooks are done to the highest standard. They support the 'Hide community very well.

Go with Impact. Don't bother home-making one. Your time is worth more than that. For the cost of 2 boxes of match ammo, you can have an Impact data book. Just buy one.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for the kind words and support guys we appreciate it.

We take pride in making the best data books on the market as well as providing you the most flexable book with the most modular options ever offered.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next round of offerings from your leading source in data books.

Happy Shooting
Tony

I'm looking to either make my own data book or buy lower cost components and put it together.

I primarily use the Nightforce NPR1 reticle with my rifles and would like some laminated pages of it w/ hold point values. Ideally I would be able to have a few of these for different rifles, loads, and temperatures. Mainly 1 load per rifle but hunting loads on a couple. It would also be nice to have a couple general ranging cards.

Non-laminated pages would include all data collecting.

I'm trying to think what would be the best setup for withstanding water. Either laminated pages with a marker/wax or a combo of both, or all non-laminated pages with a waterproof case... It would be nice if the case could hold a wind meter. Of course I'd like it to be as small and light as possible. Also straps for attaching to gear(molle).

I was thinking it would be nice if i could get a exterior ballistics program that had a card maker function. Either that or I could get pictures of the reticle with hold/ranging points marked out for different ranges and bullet types/speeds.

MTM Caseguard makes a great reloading book that you could scan and laminate if need be. IMHO, I prefer to pull directly from my kestrel, or use the berger range card app , update the enviromentals, screen shot it, then scale it down and print