PRS Talk Ideal PRS Scope

I've read that the 7-35 isn't as forgiving because it's a slightly shorter design.
idk if that's true because I only own the 525 but that's literally half the reason I bought it.
idk what they were thinking. I'm probably going to save a buck this time and get a g3 razor to test. others seem to like them.
I've owned the 525P for years and now have a few 735Ps. The transition was actually very easy. I personally have not seen a difference, granted this is my first season with the 735P (I shot the 525P for 2-3 years).🤷🏾‍♂️

Reactions: Cody S
I've never had it happen on the clock in almost 10 years of competition. Not even sure how it's possible to do on the clock without being reckless with your rifle placement.

I can see it happening in transit between staged but a semi decent pre stage, pre shot checklist fixes that.

I guess if a shooter wants them all the more power to that shooter but it definitely falls in the "cons" category when I'm looking at scopes. Same for Christmas tree reticles. I can live with Leupold's locking design because it on locks on 0.
Depends what time of match you shoot I guess, if it’s just barricade bench rest then yeah probably very unlikely to happen.

I’m not in the US so our matches look nothing like the typical NRL/PRS match.
More like a mix of field match, run and gun, and PRS. With very quick stage times, quick movement, and awkward shooting positions (often all at the same time) it’s easy to bump your scope mid stage and not notice. Especially if you don’t ever dial for wind, as you aren’t used to checking it as it should always be on zero.

Reactions: Cody S
Depends what time of match you shoot I guess, if it’s just barricade bench rest then yeah probably very unlikely to happen.

I’m not in the US so our matches look nothing like the typical NRL/PRS match.
More like a mix of field match, run and gun, and PRS. With very quick stage times, quick movement, and awkward shooting positions (often all at the same time) it’s easy to bump your scope mid stage and not notice. Especially if you don’t ever dial for wind, as you aren’t used to checking it as it should always be on zero.

Whatever floats your boat man. You don't have to justify it to me. Just like I don't have to justify it to you.

Whatever floats your boat man. You don't have to justify it to me. Just like I don't have to justify it to you.
Just giving a bit of context is all.
It goes to show the "ideal PRS scope" isn't really possible, which explains why no one has taken the risk to design a purpose built 10-30 or fixed 16x type scope.

Undoubtedly it'll never be quite right and everyone who is interested will want it 5% different than the next guy, any company trying to sell the "ideal" scope will be left tearing their hair out trying to please enough people to bring a product to market.

Just giving a bit of context is all.
It goes to show the "ideal PRS scope" isn't really possible, which explains why no one has taken the risk to design a purpose built 10-30 or fixed 16x type scope.

Undoubtedly it'll never be quite right and everyone who is interested will want it 5% different than the next guy, any company trying to sell the "ideal" scope will be left tearing their hair out trying to please enough people to bring a product to market.

100% agrees. It's impossible to please everyone and this sport is such a small niche in the grand scheme of things that to try to chase the 5% of an already incredibly small market, would be folly.

Quick google response about fixed power scopes:

Fixed power scopes can have better optical quality than zoom scopesbecause they have fewer lenses and moving parts. Fixed power scopes are also known as fixed magnification scopes. They have a single magnification power that can't be changed, which can result in a sharper image. Fixed power scopes are also lighter, smaller, and easier to produce than variable magnification optics. They have a higher light transmission rate and are often brighter than variable magnification scopes.

So at least in theory, it’s possible to have a lighter, better quality, cheaper, and higher light transmission scope if you could deal with no zoom. I would at least be willing to give that a try.

As to rolling wind dial, I’ve never seen it until the last few weeks. Buddy with an Arken keeps accidentally dialing wind in either while running the bolt or moving between positions. Very easy to spin wind turret.

Quick google response about fixed power scopes:

Fixed power scopes can have better optical quality than zoom scopesbecause they have fewer lenses and moving parts. Fixed power scopes are also known as fixed magnification scopes. They have a single magnification power that can't be changed, which can result in a sharper image. Fixed power scopes are also lighter, smaller, and easier to produce than variable magnification optics. They have a higher light transmission rate and are often brighter than variable magnification scopes.

So at least in theory, it’s possible to have a lighter, better quality, cheaper, and higher light transmission scope if you could deal with no zoom. I would at least be willing to give that a try.

As to rolling wind dial, I’ve never seen it until the last few weeks. Buddy with an Arken keeps accidentally dialing wind in either while running the bolt or moving between positions. Very easy to spin wind turret.
Who will buy a fixed mag scope? Glass quality only matters to 90% of users if it is terrible. 80% vs 100% glass quality is lost on the large majority of users. Products are developed to sell volume, not satisfy glass geeks.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Lol this thread is basically why there are so many options, a group of people agree on what they want/ need and then there's a group of people tossing out ideas like a monkey throwing shit at a window.

I basically always end up at 16-18 power. I rarely touch it, that being said I'd go for something like 10-25 or 30.
Lots of parallax is nice. I agree with the big ass 10 Mil turrets are superior. 35 Mils elevation is super nice to have. 2nd rev indicator is really nice feature, has definitely saved me a couple times

Last edited:
I'd be interested also to know if limiting the mag range would have an affect on the price and weight.

For hunting if a guy could get something like a 10-25x with 34 mm tube 50mm objective and keep it around 25oz with illumination that'd be titties

I'd be interested also to know if limiting the mag range would have an affect on the price and weight.

For hunting if a guy could get something like a 10-25x with 34 mm tube 50mm objective and keep it around 25oz with illumination that'd be titties
I think you’ll find that the only “hunters” that want a 10x minimum magnification in their scopes are long range “hunters.” The field of view would start at “suck” and diminish from there.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I think you’ll find that the only “hunters” that want a 10x minimum magnification in their scopes are long range “hunters.” The field of view would start at “suck” and diminish from there.
Yes sorry. Long range hunting optic. IMO that power is totally useable from 50 yards to what ever distance you want to shoot. That being said if I was expecting the majority of my shots to be 150 and in I'd likely choose something like a 1-10 LPVO

all I read is "it would never work, we never agree"
also, "I use my scope exactly the same way you guys do at this game and love the few simple features and would totally buy that scope"
fwiw march makes a scope I'm going to buy because it checks all my boxes, it just goes a little too far down on the magnification but no big deal.
march 5-42 high master wide angle, non illuminated, writable 10 mil turrets.
sure, the fact that it goes down to 5x instead of 10x probably costs a few hundred more, but not having illumination likely will save that cost back.
plus they are sponsors to my local 22 prs matches so that's cool.
scopes are 100% the best place to go big imo.

2nd rev is just a nice to have feature.
Nothing wrong with Minox but I can't figure what purpose 7.5 mil turrets would serve
99% of the time I don't dial more than 7mils, and if the turrets were 7.5mil per turn the spacing would be larger between the adjustments, which would make the accidental over/under dialing on the clock less likely to happen.

99% of the time I don't dial more than 7mils, and if the turrets were 7.5mil per turn the spacing would be larger between the adjustments, which would make the accidental over/under dialing on the clock less likely to happen.
I've never had an issue with 10 mil turrets. The 15 can be a bit jammed