Identify this rifle?

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
I thought everyone could use a funner thread. I just saw a blast from the past (1996) that has me trying to figure out what I just saw. It was s movie “The Long Kiss Goodnight” and this was the rifle:

IMG_2857.jpeg

IMFDB just identifies it as a “modified Remington 700” but I found that far too vague for a cool takedown rifle. Anyone have any idea who made that? Was it ever comercially available or was it a custom job? If it was just a movie prop they went in to a heck of a lot of detail, it just looks like something that “should” have existed somewhere in the real world in the 90’s, it just looks like something someone actually put together and it would be interesting to know who did the work.

Here is the scene:

IMFDB also noted that the same rifle also seems to appear in “Absolute Power” in 1997, and it looks like it might:

IMG_2855.jpeg

Another odd takedown rifle also appears in the same movie, also just identified as a Remington 700:
IMG_2856.jpeg

Any ideas?

99.9% sure that's a modified old McMillan Prone stock, predecessor to the XIT. This one had the cheek rest chopped:

1724208496325.png

edit - most likely just a movie prop though, although it's a 700, the way she rotates the barrel into the receiver wouldn't work on a 700

Last edited:
99.9% sure that's a modified old McMillan Prone stock, predecessor to the XIT. This one had the cheek rest chopped:

View attachment 8484408

edit - most likely just a movie prop though, although it's a 700, the way she rotates the barrel into the receiver wouldn't work on a 700
That is awesome, I don’t know any other place where you can find the exact model of out of production stock based on nothing but a short movie clip from 28 tears ago. Cool.

And, it could very well be a “real” rifle, but the director just took liberties with how it is assembled.

Ever see a movie character employ a silencer on a pistol? Invariably, they are shown screwing the supressor on the barrel. But, you never see a threaded barrel. Directors have decided that threaded barrels aren’t photogenic, so they (typically) use an unthreaded pistol for the unsuppressed gun, and change it out for a supressor ready model when the silencer is used.

Wouldn’t out too much stock in the assembly shown in the movie.

Fair.

Also, on second thought, you could just use the standard threads as lugs. e.g. mill off 50% of the threads on both the tenon and receiver, so the tenon could be slid in with no contact, then rotated for engagement. Basically similar to an interrupted screw you see on artillery

1724211869725.png

Last edited: