• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

If you could only have 1 Bolt action Rifle

Re: If you could only have 1 Bolt action Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KMW 308 bolt gun w/ a Surgeon 591 action</div></div>
Yummmm!
I like Terry's stuff. I have shot one but never owned one...Yet!
...SmokeRolls

my PGM
no mirage with the cooled barel that you can change in 2minutes for another caliber, lenght and so on
cimg6095i.jpg

Long action Savage-

I will then have a system like a DIY M24.

I can then customize the rifle by barrel length and any cartridge I take a shining to as long as it has a standard rim.

Depending on the donor action and how much work you are willing to do yourself you can make a fine custom rifle for under 1K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DTA SRS cuz that gives me 4 calibers, lol.

if i couldn't have that i would want a AIAW </div></div>
+1, except that SRS first gives me better ergonomics, and then - the other calibers.

I'd have SRS in 260 Rem or 308.

Um guys if you can only have one bolt action shouldn't it be capable of hunting too? I wouldn't want to carry most of the guns you guys are talking about through the hills.

Depends... I wouldn't want to carry <span style="text-decoration: underline">anything</span> through the hills... But if you have to - there are ways & means to make it less painful to carry a 12-16lb rifle plus all the other stuff you need around...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Um guys if you can only have one bolt action shouldn't it be capable of hunting too? I wouldn't want to carry most of the guns you guys are talking about through the hills. </div></div>
Go to the gym

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which machines at the gym will allow me to shoot a 16 pound rifle offhand? </div></div>
Machines that teach you to drop down and/or use available support.
wink.gif

Or machines that help you develop your biceps to the size of Schwartzenegger's thighs so you won't even notice that 16lb contraption in your hands.
smirk.gif

A 6.5x47 lapua on a M2008 action, bedded in a KMW Sentinel stock, 21" krieger barrel, the works.

Something along the lines of terry's M2008 build.
Digitalphotos4409020.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black ops that is beautiful. </div></div>

Definitely my dream rifle. Now if I only had the money to get it.. Will be quite a while before I request another build on a rifle but that's definitely what my sights are set on. Will have to catch Terry at a time that he isn't busy. More than likely won't be able to do that until I get out of school
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which machines at the gym will allow me to shoot a 16 pound rifle offhand? </div></div>

The ones that teach you to use proper offhand position to take advantage of your skeleton. I prefer heavy rifles to light for offhand. There's a reason HP Silhouette has a weight limit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Winchester Model 70, 30-06. History speaks for itself.

Cheers,

Doc</div></div> A +1 Transition target in sporter stock 30-06

a remington 700 trued and blueprinted or a custom 700 action bedded into a mcm a5 stock with a schneider 24 inch barrel a jewell trigger set to 2.5 lbs and a S&B 4-16x50 PMII LP or 3-12x50 PMII Military (because of the tactile clicks every 1 mil). As accessories i would have an atlas bipod and an accushot monopod. That should take care of about everything. The only problem i would have is choosing between .308, .300 win mag, and .338 lapua

Hands down ,, 5r remington 308,, Leupold Glass,,
will hang in there with the full blown custom rifle and come in below your budget.

TacticalOperations Tango-51 .308, however, the only thing that bugs me about this choice is the reliance on the scope. I'd prefer something with the ability to use open sights if needed.

So if not the Tango, then my Schmidt-Rubin K-31. I can hit a pig silhouette plate out to 300yds with that using open sights all day long.

If I could only have one bolt rifle it would be a DTA SRS.

If I had to keep my price point below $2K, I would go with a Tikka Scout in .308 and put some nice glass on it.

Every Tikka that I have shot has been sub 3/4 accurate with factory loads. Factory match loads in my heavy barreled Tikka's often yields sub 1/2 moa groups.

I shot the Remington 700P, LTR, Savage Tactical, and Tikka Tactical before I decided on what .308 to purchase. The Savage and Tikka shot best for me. I ultimately purchased the Tikka and have not regretted it.

If I was restricted to a tighter budget I would look at caliber after I figured out what I wanted to do with it.

If I was punching paper and 800 meters or less I would say .308.
If I was shooting deer I would say .308.

If I was shooting further then I would say .300WM.
If I wanted to go Elk hunting or larger in the US then I would say .300WM.

Your choices in those two around that price with decent glass is probably Remington or Savage. Both are darn good shooters and both provide a lot of flexibility!

Just my .02