I'll put this in here.... ATI GSG40 MP 40 9mm knockoff?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So ATI has made some neat-ish .22 clones of classic guns. But recently came out with a 9MM MP40 clone.

I've wanted a 'Schmeisser" forever! The real things are made of Unaffordabulium. But these look like a ton of fun!

Unfortunately, the reviews are not good. Bad function/jamming problems. Magazines, ammo-sensitive, etc. Maybe they have improved since introduction... maybe not.

But at $475 'off the raclk' seems like I could probably gunsmith the bugs out of one and make it reliable?

So anyone handled one of these? Fired one? Seen one? Before I order... I'd like to know if it's a TOTAL POS or if it is a pretty good gun with some teething problems?

Want one of these bigtime... before the company tanks and then they are off the market. So may take the plunge.

Thought I'd ask here first, though.

Cheers,

Sirhr

If nothing else, it's about the only representation you can get without finding a big vein of Unaffordabulium in the ground and getting all the permits to dig it up. So, for the price, it shoots and it's a decent representation. It's not full auto, but so what, I can't afford to throw rounds downrange like that anyways. And, it's not like you're taking into a fight and having to rely on it'. I'd go for it.

Hate to burst your bubble sirh but Schmeisser had nothing to do with the development of the MP40. It does look like a neat toy though and it would look great next to my PPS43 and Suomi reproductions.

Hate to burst your bubble sirh but Schmeisser had nothing to do with the development of the MP40. It does look like a neat toy though and it would look great next to my PPS43 and Suomi reproductions.

Yeah, Tony... I know. But it's the name that stuck.

And, yes, it would look good with my PPSH!

I am kind of leaning towards just getting one. With my machine shop, I am sure I can make it run with enough effort. And if it's a POS, it'll be off the market in a few months... and will be rare!

Besides, you can't buy a 10-22 for that kind of scratch these days! Worth taking a flyer on!

If I get one... you guys will know first!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Do they consider it a pistol?

Doesn't look like it has the folder on it, so Im assuming to meet ATF requirements its a pistol.

Dumb rules that in effect make for a less shootable/safe firearm.

I know the .22 cal ones have a barrel extension to get by the SBR rules and it ruins the whole look.

Always loved the look of MP40. Job has some in inventory, Amazing use of resin and stamped sheet metal for its time. Its actual crude construction kind of negates its Buck Rogers appearance though.

Im assuming the only way to get cheaper construction than the original would be to use the white metal alloys GSG uses on its other look alike replicas.

I wouldn't have high hopes for a quality firearm but sometimes things should be bought just because they are fun.

Whats better than a Green Mountain canoneer with the Machine Pistole 40 slung on his back - Feur!

Last edited:
It's considered a pistol... My local dealer can do me one for 529. I can transfer him one from GB for 479. I'd like to give him the business, but it's $50 more. Plus another 30 in state tax. I'll pay the transfer and probably order a Thunderbeast for my Sako from him instead. I want to keep business local... but, damn, too much right there.

More to come, I am sure. I'll wait until next week. ;Merkia! Or is that 'Deutschland? Well... guess in this case...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ended up getting one... a 'low end' version without the wooden crate.

Came well packed in cardboard. Nice little toolkit. Heavy and nicely made. Definitely looks and feels the part. Safety is a big goofy as it is a drum that just rotates and does not fell all that crisp or positive. But it does work. Trigger pull is about 6 inches... Well, not really. But it is the longest trigger pull I've ever felt! Ludicrous! But once you take up the slack, it's decent.

These MP 40 knockoffs have a lousy reputation for running... they apparently are jam-o-matics. But I loaded it up with cast lead 9mm handloads and it ran like a little typewriter. I was popping a 12 x 18 steel plate at about 60 yards with it and once I got the elevation.. was just whacking it every time. I have not tried it with ball or FMJ yet

Very fun little toy!

Cheers,

Sirhr

39760438_1527046900775285_5892649401595199488_o.jpg

Vas ist los? Einen GSG40?

Starker!

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Whatever surplus is on hand. Which is not much these days. Never shot it over a chrono, that gun is just for fun so it never even occured to me. I have shot it to 400 yards though...

So ATI has made some neat-ish .22 clones of classic guns. But recently came out with a 9MM MP40 clone.

I've wanted a 'Schmeisser" forever! The real things are made of Unaffordabulium. But these look like a ton of fun!

Unfortunately, the reviews are not good. Bad function/jamming problems. Magazines, ammo-sensitive, etc. Maybe they have improved since introduction... maybe not.

But at $475 'off the raclk' seems like I could probably gunsmith the bugs out of one and make it reliable?

So anyone handled one of these? Fired one? Seen one? Before I order... I'd like to know if it's a TOTAL POS or if it is a pretty good gun with some teething problems?

Want one of these bigtime... before the company tanks and then they are off the market. So may take the plunge.

Thought I'd ask here first, though.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Hello Sir, I have eagerly followed many of your posts. Your work is most impressive! With the things you make in your shop you could afford a MP-40 tube gun in no time. Why settle for less? You don’t have to get an original at 20k. They all shoot and look awesome. I recall your post with a belt feeder. I have always found setting for a facsimile is money that when added up could have got you what you really wanted. I have a Wilson tube and it never stops running!

Attachments

• F1DD54F7-3A5B-4C29-8FA1-5E0435DE42BB.jpeg
    F1DD54F7-3A5B-4C29-8FA1-5E0435DE42BB.jpeg
    695 KB · Views: 184
  • E76B7192-B885-40F8-9964-6D687A01B619.jpeg
    E76B7192-B885-40F8-9964-6D687A01B619.jpeg
    732.2 KB · Views: 228
Hello Sir, I have eagerly followed many of your posts. Your work is most impressive! With the things you make in your shop you could afford a MP-40 tube gun in no time. Why settle for less? You don’t have to get an original at 20k. They all shoot and look awesome. I recall your post with a belt feeder. I have always found setting for a facsimile is money that when added up could have got you what you really wanted. I have a Wilson tube and it never stops running!
On one hand, you are right. But tube guns are very spendy and not investment-grade. This little gem costs about the same as 20 magazines fired through a tube gun. And is about as much fun.

I've done the C3 full auto thing. And it's kind of boring. That first magazine is a rush. Sort of. If you've never shot a full mag full auto.

After a while, it's just kind of fun to shoot the facsimile in semi. And spend the real $$ on Destructive Devices that let you shell people in other states.

But you are right. This is not a substitute for the real thing. But it is fun to hold it and say "I know Nothing!!!!"

Cheers,

Sirhr