• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

I'm going to let the Hide Decide

mortman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,

Boyds delivered my Tacticool stock yesterday and I am moving forward in my rebuild of my 10/22. So far, besides the aformentioned stock, I have the Kid 2 stage trigger group. I was so impressed with the trigger group that I decided that I wanted to finish the gun with Kid parts (barrel, bolt, bolt bits, firing pin and maybe even a machined receiver).

SO...on Monday I am going to order a barrel from Kid and am torn between the 18 and the 20 inch barrel. I am getting the barrel threaded with a cap just in case our newly elected Republican State Attorney General decides to let us get cans in the great state of Michigan. I am going to leave the barrel length decision to the awesome members here. Vote now...18 or 20.

Re: I'm going to let the Hide Decide

20" for me. even at 20" a 10/22 is still relatively short.

Here is mine with the Tacticool and a KIDD 20" match barrel:
2723160215_large.jpg

I have a 20" on mine and like it. I like the extra weight, helps steady the rifle more, for me anyways. (not that 2" is that much more weight,but why not)

If it were my gun and I was considering a can for it, I'd go with the 18" to reduce the overall length.

Top Predator did have a good point though, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can always cut it back... but can't glue any more on...</div></div>

Ballistically speaking I think after around 14.5" on a .22 you start to loose velocity. I would go with 18" if I were you. Shorter if it were me. Probably 16"

I'd go 16" as well if you can. You start loosing MV when you have a long(er) barrel on a 22lr. But if that's not an option, then the 18 makes perfect sense

Going with a longer barrel on a .22 only makes sense to me as a way to extend the sight radius. Otherwise (especially with scope sights), shorter makes better sense, to me.

21 1/2" .920" on my silhouette/ Sportsman's Team Challenge gun.
With match/subsonic ammo, longer is quieter. With HV the noisy part is still farther from your ear, all important in open air without hearing protection. I figure a long barrel with SV is very nearly hearing safe.

If you only shoot prone/bench/ otherwise supported, barrel length is unimportant.

For standing, the extra "hang" of the long barrel (higher polar moment of inertia, or somesuch) is a benefit. Noted barrel maker Harry Pope himself felt a muzzle heavy gun was a significant benefit in the Scheutzen matches he grew up on.

Then there's the private conversation my dealer/mentor had with Tony, who reported his longest barrels seemed a hair better than the shorter lengths.

Then there's the benchrest crowd, who in .22s shoot some pretty long barrels. It's felt the longer tubes do a better job of damping variations in velocity, giving lower SD with a given load.

I am with Greg on this. 18" will not get you any extra velocity. You are pretty much maxed out at 18". Unless this is a trainer and your centerfire rig is 20", I would go with 18" and not look back. That will work better with a suppressor too... just in case.