• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

IMR 4350 vs. H4350 in 6.5 Creedmoor

Kebo57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2012
Cody,WY
My go to load in both my 6.5CM rifles is with H4350 and 140's. I picked up a 8lb keg of IMR4350 at a good price and wondered if any of you guys have tried the IMR variant and if so how much difference did you find? The Hornady manual loads for both are very nearly the same across the board but the IMR can be loaded slightly hotter..........can any of you guys that have shot both comment/compare powder charges, accuracy, velocities,etc. between the two?

Reactions: DubfromGA
Re: IMR 4350 vs. H4350 in 6.5 Creedmoor

Great thread. I have a bunch of IMR laying around and just haven't gone through the load development to figure out the difference.

Anybody messed with this?

I'm shooting 6.5 CM with a 140 Berger, 9 1/2 primer and 41.3 gr IMR 4350 getting 2600 fps out of a 22" barrel. That was the fastest I could get and stay within the accuracy node. 41.6 grains fell outside of a 1/2 inch. Still waiting on my 24" barrel from Shaw, hoping that a couple extra inches will help speed things up a bit. I'm going to test the same load with a lapua 139 and see what I get.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread but 2800 w/great results? Bull shit…
1717208720773.png

You probably won't get a reply based on the limige's avatar showing they haven't been seen since July 2022.

• Haha
Reactions: DubfromGA
lol…. I am aware…
2670,s fps is the happy place for most 6.5cm with 140’s

2800 fps? Perhaps if you used a 32 inch barrel and H superformacenpowder.?

Yet that is anything but typical

Last edited:
lol…. I am aware…

2800 fps isn't hard in a 6.5 Creedmoor. H4350, 140 gr bullet and 24" barrel will get you there fairly easy. The gun may or may not like it there, but a lot of guys used to shoot in the 2810-2820 range.

lol…. I am aware…

Hornady factory match 147 clocks in at 2700 from my rifle 22” RPR. I wouldn’t be at all surprised that a hand loader could squeeze another 100 fps from a lighter bullet.

I’ve found a very accurate load using IMR4350 and the Berger 140gr Hybrid Target bullet. The cases are Lapua and the primers are CCI BR2’s. The rifle has a 26” 1:7.5” Hawk Hills straight (1.25”) pipe. It might not be a screamer (2875fps), but it is very accurate with 44.0gr. I’ve found it easy on the brass with annealing, with the primer pockets starting to loosen after 10 to 12 cycles.

I’ve been out to the mile with it (on a calm day).

Edit: I chose the IMR because of its availability here in Canada.

YMMV

Last edited:
10 reloadings? Seems like you’d be able to reload it more than that before pockets start to loosen. Are you saying they’re done after that many loads?
How many grains of IMR 4350 behind a 140 grain freedom seed?

It’s interesting with the guys that are on that 2800+ they don’t talk about how many reloading before the brass starts to wear out, especially the primer pocket. some had their loads as much as 43 grains of H 4350

A lot of guys saw their best groupings at 42 something so I guess I need to reevaluate late initial remark.

2650 for a Barnes match burner 1:40 max charge of 41.9 24” barrel. Apparently that’s slow… i’ll continue to go up on the charges. I’m at 2650 and see where it goes.

Alpha munitions cases go around 40 firing before they fail. And that’s without even using proper methodology of reloading.

This test was done with the hot rod 22 Creedmoor round.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.png
    IMG_2165.png
    545 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I dont think they are the same.

we get 2804fps ave with a 26" 8tw with 41.2 H4350 with 140ELD at 2.226 CBTO and a 210 or 210m in 85-90f. Gun was tolerant to 41.8gr inclusive. sd for 5 shots l 4.4 and 8.8 for 23, ES still a bit more then id like at 22 for 23 shots. . 23 shots are reported since chrono missed 2. Still experimenting with jump on this load asnd only tested to 850y so far. Im considering dropping this down to 40.9 and testing more as it tracks with factory loads in this rifle better.

with IMR4350 was running less fps 41gr 2676 fps with 210m primer. at 2.174 (more jump) IMR 4350 was only tested to 41.3gr. This load was ok to 1200yard, past that meh on a windy day.

Both loads Hornady 1x brass for report. Rifle mentioned will do 2775 with horn factory match with 15.x SD and 40ish ES in a 10 round sample for comparison.

Cant speak to brass life I rotate a reasonable size of shot up factory Horn for this project and am not past 3x yet. Unless its premium brass I dont have high expectations and find the larger charges tend to be reported on Horn brass, which also correlates to say 6.5 PRC loads vs AGD brass due to case capacities. I dont run over 5x loadings there since barrel will likely be done by 2k anyway.

I cant wrap my head around 43gr, im assuming some rifles are tolerant of it but seems high for 140ELD and we're trying to be a PRC then.

Imr4350 40.9 =2660 fps average
24” barrel
Will be pushing the charge today ..will get back to yall..

I somewhat Interesting that all the reloading manuals except if you’re using super performance which goes up to like 2800 on the Barnes website the max speed they’re talking when Max charges about 2600 or whereabouts so these 2800 might be over pressured..
But at 200 FPS more that is quite an increase I say that’s like between the 6.5 cm and the 6.5 PRC so is something to definitely consider.

a 2800 FPS 140gr 6.5cm.. would this be considered really pushing the load meaning if used in a prs style competition is this going to overheat and burn your barrel out that much faster or is 2800 what people run all the time?
What do most people run in their PRS 6.5 Creedmoor’s do they run the 2800 or are they around 2600,2700?

Imr4350 40.9 =2660 fps average
24” barrel
Will be pushing the charge today ..will get back to yall..

I somewhat Interesting that all the reloading manuals except if you’re using super performance which goes up to like 2800 on the Barnes website the max speed they’re talking when Max charges about 2600 or whereabouts so these 2800 might be over pressured..
But at 200 FPS more that is quite an increase I say that’s like between the 6.5 cm and the 6.5 PRC so is something to definitely consider.

a 2800 FPS 140gr 6.5cm.. would this be considered really pushing the load meaning if used in a prs style competition is this going to overheat and burn your barrel out that much faster or is 2800 what people run all the time?
What do most people run in their PRS 6.5 Creedmoor’s do they run the 2800 or are they around 2600,2700?
The big boys in PRS run the speeds they need to achieve the performance they desire. And, they change barrels as necessary…

Issue is I’ve got multiple powders because I bought these when we had no powder
I will have to say that shooters world long range seems to be very accurate when compared to the other powders. It gets good speeds and it doesn’t take much40gr = gets you 2649 fps with a 140 pill
40.9 or 41 = average of 2698 or 2700 fps

Viv N555 gets you there with 43 grns so it takes about 1-grain or more to get you there
That also seems very promising for an accurate powder

If I hadn’t put an order in for 24lbs of h4350
I would’ve picked up some of the shooters world long range ….. I just wasn’t too happy with the shooters world 4350 it is a lot slower or slower than any of the other 4350 type powders. I just didn’t realize that.

I will use the shooters world 4350 powder in the 22 Creedmoor because that is the slowest of the 4350 names sake of powders… a slower burning powder should benefit the 22 Creedmoor load.

Last edited:
The big boys in PRS run the speeds they need to achieve the performance they desire. And, they change barrels as necessary…
I understand how it all works when competition starts to take hold from racing cars, motocross, shifter karts,, airplanes to trucks cars …. I completely understand additional stress on components as long as it’s within reason is completely acceptable. .
It just seems that 2800 is a bit faster than what even the manuals are stating so that’s got to be a quite a bit hotter load than most…?

Last edited:
My go to load in both my 6.5CM rifles is with H4350 and 140's. I picked up a 8lb keg of IMR4350 at a good price and wondered if any of you guys have tried the IMR variant and if so how much difference did you find? The Hornady manual loads for both are very nearly the same across the board but the IMR can be loaded slightly hotter..........can any of you guys that have shot both comment/compare powder charges, accuracy, velocities,etc. between the two?

Being a noob, I thought IMR and H were the same thing. Guess not! But I got lucky because my Tikka seems to like it

M

Reactions: Kocher
Being a noob, I thought IMR and H were the same thing. Guess not! But I got lucky because my Tikka seems to like it

M
IMR 4350 is 50-100$ more as well…
I bought mine a couple years ago and have well over a 23 pounds left so I guess I’m going to get very comfortable with 6.5 Creedmoor and IMR 4350.

The only thing I noticed, but IMR 4350 is the Colonels are not as short as each 4350 and apparently the velocity swings in temperature

But after watching a video extensively about the rams shot TaC and Varget there wasn’t that much of a speed change until you get into the upper temps. I think it was about one FPS per degree….

On the other hand,Varget had a no change until it hit the upp temps, then it had a Quick upswing in pressure/fps …. so it was very stable …until it wasn’t.

The most part just don’t put your reload charge on the ragged edge and you’ll be fine

Heck, if Hornady can say that their 7 PRC doesn’t matter that it’s dropped 200 FPS just so long as it’s accurate, which makes it the same speed as the 6.8 western …
As right now, Hornady is affected by the senate and all of Congress money grab a.k.a. war in Ukraine and they cannot get the powder that they needed in large quantities in order to keep their reload so they advertise 3000 FPS is not obtainable with the powder they’re able to get 2800 but the accuracy is still there

So why should I have to run my 65 Creedmoor on the ragged edge at 2800 when I can run it at 2700 fps and be happy? I just don’t know how the added pressures will affect the brass primer pockets, etc. if I’m going to be hunting this fall my hunting load definitely will be on the edge as when winter hits the pressure should drop a little bit anyway..

I cant wrap my head around 43gr, im assuming some rifles are tolerant of it but seems high for 140ELD and we're trying to be a PRC then.
That’s what I was thinking holy crap 43 gr is 2 grains overbook max.

I hate to bring this one up, but it seems that that’s what some people are having to do with the 7 PRC to get it to the 3000 FPS with 175-180 gr freedom pill.

3-gr over max w/o pressures?
And only I believe it’s reloader 33 will get you there w/in safe reloading manual.
This of course if you’re using a 24 inch barrel it seems that if you have a 26 inch barrel, you can do it.?

Anyway, from the look at your post, it looks that H 4350 is a bit faster and that shows with the FPS.

It takes me 42gr of IMR to reach close to 2750fps.

I’ve also noticed that when you get to the 40-42 grains with that IMR 4350, it becomes really stable. as it seems like it takes a full grain to get another 50 FPS out of it?
Or is that unstable at that point when you have higher charges and nothing happens over book??

So that would be about right even with my rifle I would have to use 43 gr to reach a 2800 FPS

Attachments

• IMG_2311.png
    IMG_2311.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 16