Initial thoughts on Steiner S35

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
Had lunch with the Steiner guys a few weeks back. Played with a few of their new models including the S35 which is the stand alone scope version of their 3 35mm Thermal optics being launched currently. The handheld mono H35 was their first release and has proven to be a nice albeit large/bulky entry into the 640 market. .....Battery life and image quality have been better than expected and I find myself grabbing that unit from the demo pile on a majority of my hunts.
Just released this week is the S35 and it also does not disappoint in the image quality department. It has stayed with the H35 tradition in its bulkiness but the all aluminum body feels extremely sturdy when compared to polymer competitors. Contributing significantly to the bulkiness is the 18650 cannister that houses the batteries (also aluminum). If you can get past the heftier package then you will be rewarded with some amazing image processing that rivals just about any manufacturer out there. The depth of field of the 1.0 lens can be seen below. Have a few that arrived today if anyone is interested. MAP is $5499.
IMG_20211111_132133.jpg

20211111_140201.jpg
20211111_140039.jpg

The clip on should be out soon. I'll wait to comment on it as some details are still being worked out on final design.