• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Installing MB762SSAL/RE on Mk20, questions about SV and SS differences, etc.?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Spacer or not? There is no shoulder, that step down literally has threading cut into it. I can't see another way of doing it. Surefire mentioned shims on the muzzle but didn't include those, didn't offer 'em and I'm not so sure that's how it's supposed to mount. How did SV mount? Shims in the front of the muzzle or shims in the rear (over the threads like usual)? Did it come with a spacer? Looks like a crush washer kind of, designed to give the mount more to seat against?

Anyone know the ID of the SV flash hiders in comparison to SS mounts? Would an SV mount fit over, say, a .75"bbl.? Or is it smaller, something like .650 or thereabouts?

Also, anyone have any advice outside the norm installing these? (Thanks to the guys that chimed in on another, unrelated thread). And spacer and shims or shims over the muzzle?

A picture of the two side by side from the back would be awesome if anyone has one. Or the ID measurements for the SV, I'd be fine with those.

Own a FA762ss here, I am not educated enough to help with the specific questions. But I can recommend Raven Rifles (https://ravenrifles.com/) enough when it comes to flushing out barrel profiles/mounts for the FA762ss. He got me out of a jam super quick and high quality.

I detailed my issues in this thread below, hopefully this helps:

I recently went through this deliberation, and in the end decided to send a barrel to Mile High. They turned a new shoulder on an AI barrel to allow it to mate without spacers.

What barrel are you putting this on? Does the barrel not have a shoulder at the threads ('cause I'm sorta not understanding what you're stating in that first sentence there)?
    Shims go on the barrel shoulder (behind the threaded muzzle) and interface with a surface inside of the muzzle device behind the threads (of the muzzle device).

Sorry, been away, had surgery.

I have it mounted and I got Surefire to send me a spacer. Without a doubt it had to have one. All looks good but in a year or so when I actually get my hands on the can I reckon I'll reinstall it with a rod the way they recommend.

But it got me to wondering how it's installed on the M40A5. Is there just more material behind the threads? Mk20 is threaded 5/8-24 and the stepped down portion of the barrel is barely larger than that. But it's obvious the .7xx" part of the barrel and the mount are about the same dia. so I figure the M40A5 dimensions can't be that different.

And the SV mount for the Scar, would one of those fit over a .7" bbl.? Also, does it use shims/spacer or does it use the step for a shoulder? That'd answer part of my question just to know that.

Actually, if someone could just post a picture of an M40A5 muzzle along with the dia. of the barrel and the step down portion, that'd be extremely helpful. I can figure out what I'm dealing with from that and how much difference there is, if any.

See, the SS is CLOSE but it's not the SV... Surefire both highly recommends it for the Mk20 and highly discourages it's use, depends on who answers the phone.

I really can't see it working on one but not the other, particularly if those beveled spacers are worth a shit.