• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Rifle Scopes is it legal to ship a mark 4 to new zealand

tjonh2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2007
ND
a member wants to buy my 6.5x20x50 mark 4 with mildot. im wondering if anyone nows if i can ship it without issue.

buyer says that its legal just thought i would ask before commiting to sale.

thanks

Re: is it legal to ship a mark 4 to new zealand

From the Leupold website:

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/product-service/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Import/Export Licensing Requirements:

Customers located in the following countries may return riflescopes to the product service facility in their country or the Leupold factory WITHOUT import/export licensing requirements:

AUSTRALIA, BELGIUM, DENMARK, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, ICELAND, ITALY, JAPAN, LUXEMBOURG, NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NORWAY, NEW CALEDONIA, PORTUGAL, SCOTLAND, SPAIN, TURKEY, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
</div></div>

Yes it is perfectly legal to ship riflescopes to NZ.

The only restrictions are warranties, put in place by manufacturers, and end user restrictions on thermal equipment.

Chris

(NZ)

http://www.exportlawblog.com/archives/333

I guess bureaucracy in US is rapidly approaching levels of ex Soviet Union (having to have official permit to take a dump
smile.gif
). This is getting ridiculous by the minute.

And EU not to be outdid by US has similar regulations (i can drive to Finland from my country buy a silencer drive back (no border between) and while being perfectly legit in buying i'm breaking the law when i return home) most recently UK requires export license for scopes to mainland EU. For example S&B exported to UK cant be sold back to EU without export license.

Companies of course like the idea of it as they can target each country with designated prices and in this way the state nicely does the job for them (hindering free trade)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess bureaucracy in US is rapidly approaching levels of ex Soviet Union (having to have official permit to take a dump
smile.gif
). This is getting ridiculous by the minute.

</div></div>

Dude, you have no idea. It would take an awful lot of drinking to get through all the stories I could share. There is a concerted federal government effort afoot to shut down the US civilian arms export trade, every year you see less and less foreign buyers at SHOT and more at IWA.

Leupold does have restrictions for dealers to export their products. If you are an authorized Leupold dealer you cannot export their scopes without their consent. That is a restriction implace by Leupold, not a governmental retriction. Private sales are fine.

Private sale are fine, but then you have to get deal with the ITAR restrictions that ban the export of any firearm part that would "enhance" the effectiveness of the weapon. That's a State Department Regulation. Then you have to research the Commerce Dept, Homeland Security regs also. A violation of any of those regulations can mean hard time in the Federal Penal system. That's why so many companies and experienced private sellers shy away from sending anything firearm related out of the country. It only takes getting caught once and you, too, can enjoy the privelege of a free stay at a Supermax facility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Soooooo what you are saying is??? </div></div>What I am saying is that I have been on this board long enough to have developed some shorthand rules that other people have found to be helpful.

Graham's Rule #1 is: "Don't seek legal advice from laypeople."
Rule #2 is: "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."
Rule #3 is: "When in doubt, look it up for yourself."
Rule #4 is: "When you take someone else's advice from the Internet, only you are responsible for you."

Your getting good advice here--here is the bottom line. Is there and ITAR statement on the scope Usually in the instructuions or on the box). I know ther is one on the NightForce scopes. To be absolutly sure you should call Leupold and ask them what the ITAR restriction is if any (and it may be scope dependant ie one reticle is allowed and another is not). You could go to a retailer like optics planet but that is getting thirdparty advice rather then going to the source.

Good luck to you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be absolutly sure you should call Leupold and ask them what the ITAR restriction is if any..</div></div>That won't make anything absolutely certain.

Rule #5 is: "Never seek a 'Yes' answer from anyone not authorized to give you a 'No' answer."

The original question was whether is is legal to ship a Mark 4 to New Zealand. The literal answer is 'Yes': If for no other reason, Mark 4s exist outside of the black market in New Zealand and they are not made there so it is highly likely that it is legal to ship them there. But the question the OP asked has nothing to do with the answer he is seeking: Whether it is legal according to US law for an individual to ship his Mark 4 with a Mil Dot reticle from the United States to New Zealand without an export permit.

Maybe he should ask his question again. Or, he can have a read through the link I posted.

No, it is not legal to send a Leupold Mark 4 to New Zelando, from US.

Any scope, gun, gun parts, ammo and its parts (and other things) require an Export Permit from US State Dept.

I have enough friends that are not US citzen and lives abroad that I learned vary fast that you need an Export Permit for almost everything gun related, if you want to send outside US (ex: New Zeland, Canada, England, Argentina etc).
This kind of restriction came up (tighther) shortly after 09/11.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, it is not legal to send a Leupold Mark 4 to New Zelando, from US.</div></div>What if you obtain an export permit?

Gram,

Actually they will. I deal with ITAR licensing everyday. The manufacture is required to maintin information on export verification and ITAR restrictions for this purpose. They will most likely point you to website that has the compliance statement. I just got off the phone and they directed me to this statement that is burried on thier site.

ITAR Notice - Export of the commodities described herein is strictly prohibited
without a valid export license issued by the US Department of State, Office of Defense
Trade Controls, prescribed in the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR).

Therefore it is not legal to ship by default unless a license is obtained.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ITAR Notice - Export of the commodities described herein is strictly prohibited
without a valid export license issued by the US Department of State, Office of Defense
Trade Controls, prescribed in the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR). Therefore it is not legal to ship by default unless a license is obtained. </div></div>I think that is the answer he was looking for.

I see that you ability to spoon-feed is better than mine.
laugh.gif

Call Leupold, they will let you know the restrictions and the processes you need. We sell and export riflescopes to New Zealand all the time from Nikon, Weaver, Bushnell,Zeiss and other that are not export restricted by the manufacturer. Leupold has a manufacture restriction for authorized dealers to not export their scopes, we can only sell them domestically. As an authorized dealer, we do have all permits needed to sell and export riflescopes however. Bottom line, can rifle scopes be exported to New Zealand, yes, but some manufactures have restrictions and there are some that have governmental retrictions. Best bet is to call Leupold directly and ask if you can make a private sale and shipment to New Zealand. They will be honest with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjonh2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a member wants to buy my 6.5x20x50 mark 4 with mildot. im wondering if anyone nows if i can ship it without issue.

buyer says that its legal just thought i would ask before commiting to sale.

thanks </div></div>

Your NZ buyer has his facts very wrong, it is <span style="text-decoration: underline">illegal</span> to ship a scope out of the US without a State Department Export license. Scopes are ITAR regulated, the fines are hefty if you get caught. Sabre Defence's owner recently got busted and if convicted is likely to serve lengthy jail time and get a substantial fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it is perfectly legal to ship riflescopes to NZ.

The only restrictions are warranties, put in place by manufacturers, and end user restrictions on thermal equipment.

Chris

(NZ) </div></div>

Scopes are ITAR regulated - a State Department Export license is required. Dave's Sports in Lynden, WA is a licensed exporter and can arrange for the necessary license. www.davessports.com