• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Is shooting chrony F1 the best for the money?

gregpo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2010
I didn't realize how important it is to have a chronograph. SO, which brand has been the most realiable, the shooting chrony F1 is like 70 bucks on midway, thats sounds pretty cheap. But its probably all you really need right? Oh ya, are any of them made in the usa??

Re: Is shooting chrony F1 the best for the money?

If you read the other threads on this subject you'll find several opinions. Mine is this. Don't waste your money.

I've had 2 different models of "Shooting Chrony". After weeks of frustration and dissapointment I sold it and bought a more expensive model by the same company. It did the same thing. My brother wanted it so I just gave it to him. He later sold it and now uses mine. I bought a cheaper model Pact and it has been MUCH better. I'm now looking at a CED M2 that connects to your PC and downloads everything.

Listen to Victor. He may be talking about my threads. I'm getting poor results from my Chrony. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I messed with the 2 units I had for over 3 months total. Neither one of them ever had the same numbers. A friends Ohler 35P would have my loads withing 10 to 30 fps of the mark. The chronys were as much as 250 fps off. The same loads, same rifle, and the same day at the same range.

If that's the kind of numbers you want, good luck.

wow ok, the shooting chrony got great reviews ot midway. Ill try and research more before I buy. I dont know shit about any of them.

Damn! A buddy of mine just bought a chrony and we were going to test it out today until mother nature got pissed here in Alabama. Guess we will see what his does later in the week. Just a question, was the SD 250 fps per group or was it that much off from group to group. I need to be ready to trouble shoot this thing he has got this week.

Most readings on the Chronys were shot to shot. After that I just didn't trust them at all. The Pact has done fine. But I think I want that will plug into my computer and download everything.

"shooting chrony F1 is like 70 bucks on midway, thats sounds pretty cheap."

Call it "inexpensive." Like anything else inexpensive, the quality seems spotty; those who get a good one love it, a lot of bang for the buck. Get a flaky one and love isn't the right word.

Standard Deviation refers to any string of shots you may fire but, stastically, it doesn't mean much unless you fire at least 30 shots.

Thanks for that info Fuzzball, on the SD. Also, I have learned that the old proverb always holds true, "whatever sounds to good to be true, is to good to be true." When I spend my money on a chronograph it is going to be an Oehler and PACT will be a close second if an Oehler cannot be found.

You won't find a new Oehler, they quit making reloader chronographs some years ago.

I'm not recommending the PACT, as such, but I have one of their original "Pro" models that has given excellant service for some fifteen years now. Not only is the vital speed clock and sensors good but the built in ballistics computer and thermal printer are handy too. But their "instruction" manual left a lot to be desired, I had to figger out how to do some stuff on my own - and still not sure about a few things.

The readings I got from my shooting chrony were....well lets just say Im with Victor on this. I sold it and got a CED M2
laugh.gif

the ced m2 is 200 bucks, i dont know if i can justify paying that much. I dont want to buy junk ethier though, so maybe i wont buy any.

Do you not know someone that lives close by that can help you check some rounds? Although a chronograph is important for working up loads and occassionally checking said loads, everyone can't justify owning one. But I will only have one that works at least "in the ball park". I have 4 friends that use mine any time they need it. But I trust them like my own brothers.

IMHO - the ProChrono Digital is the best bang for the buck. It's not talked about as much as the big names, but it's one hell of a value. Many good reviews on Midways site. Bought mine for $99.00, MSRP is $119.00, shipped off ebay. Worked so dame good that I bought the USB/sofware package directly from the company. I've go $150.00 invested in a chronograph with remote control, print capable, that has never had an error - not too shabby! The single wire cable for remote control, attachment to laptop, is nice compared to competing products.

I have a F1 Master.

I will say I like it, for the price I would buy another. Using the numbers it gives me, Kestrel 4000 and Shooter Lite for the Droid. I have had zero problems making first round hits at 600 - 650 yards. Havent had a chance to shoot further than that yet.

The numbers are generally 5 - 40 FPS different. Havent had anything more than that, and they are generally only about 5 - 20 FPS different. But every now and then there are a few that are further off. I just shoot about 10 - 20 of each round and average the numbers.

HTH man.

Ill just say this ... The Chrony F1 is junk ... It told me my off the shelf Black Hills 175g Match ammo was going 3100-3200 fps today ... in a 5 shot string.

I got a few questionable numbers when shooting a 10 shot string for a load I was testing. So pulled out some factory ammo to see what it gave me and WOW ... BH match 308 ammo shoots at 223 velocity .....

Not the chrony I normally use but a bud had it setup so I used it... was not impressed.

I have had the deluxe chrony brand, what ever that is. Pact deluxe model. Now use a oheler 35P after lots of looking and plenty of cash to get it. The oheler is worth the money to me. The Pact worked fine. I would never suggest buying a chrony, piece of junk. Half the rnds fired don't even pickup if they even read close to accual velocity. I would go Pact or CED, never tried a CED. The PVM-21 is an excellent one also from what I hear, pricey, but good. Usually get what you pay for, usually.

IMHO, "Shooting Chrony" isn't a brand name, it's a warning label. By March I already had gone through two of them ...<span style="font-style: italic">this year.</span> The factory sent me a new one the second time it busted but I had to raise my voice to get them to take any action on it, which soured me on their customer service, so I bought a CED M2 while the SC was on its way back to Canada.

If you check with the online retailers, the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital gets some ridiculously good reviews. Apparently they don't break. Street price is ~$120, vice ~$200 for the CED.

CED and PACT's model have the advantage in their sensors being 2' apart. Shooting Chrony and Competition Electronics sensors are only 1' apart. If what's under the hood is the same, the error rate should be reduced by 50% on account of their sensors being twice as far apart. My tests of my NIB CED vs my NIB Beta Master confirm that the CED is the more accurate.

Two more advantages of the CED and PACT-style units is that the "brain" sits on the bench next to you instead of attached to the sensors and immediately below the path of the bullet. And if a stray shot happens to hit the all-in-one SC or CE units, the whole thing has to go back to the factory for repair/replacement. With the CED and PACT, the sensors are individually replaceable. Even with one of SC's "Master" units, which has a remote head that sits on the bench with the shooter, there's nothing in the downrange portion of the device that's user replaceable/serviceable.

With those that have a control head, BTW (CED & PACT & SC "Master" units), the control head is connected to the downrange unit by wires. Something to consider if you're shooting at a public range. It's never been a problem for me but I always get antsy when fellow shooters have to cross over my wires.

CED M2 in the mail from Dillion (spelled incorrectly cause I like it better) yesterday.

My Alpha Massa F1 chrony has been tried in all possible conditions following all use instructions. It does not give a readout, or it is 1/2 speed or 2x speed.

It has now returned to its maker for the 2nd time.

IT IS CRAP!

Another +1 for ProChrono Digital.

Mine has given values that seem quite accurate. I shot over mine and my buddies in tandem and there was a shift in FPS displayed, but it was always exactly off by a specific value. Something like 16 ft/s. Heck that could have been just because of the distance between the 2 chronographs. I was only shooting 44mag.