Is the 338 Lapua magnum accurate? Check it out!!

ney1

Toy Maker
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2001
slc, ut
www.deserttech.com
Just thought I would post a picture of the 10 round group that I fired last week at 100 yards, the group was fired with our SRS shooting factory Lapua 250 Scenar ammunition. 9 of the 10 rounds measures just 0.43", the overall groups size measured 0.87", not too shabby for a fire breathing monster cartridge.

Lapua continues to be our favorite 338LM ammo of choice and for good reason.
smile.gif

srs338lmtarget.jpg

Re: Is the 338 Lapua magnum accurate? Check it out!!

Need to group that at 600 or 800m and post the 10 shot group, I think shooting groups with a .338 at 100m is a bit of a waste? Nice group, need to strech her legs a bit!!

The farthest we have done documented accuracy testing with the SRS is 1600 meters, the ten shot group at 1600 meters had 8 shots in 7.5" and the other two opened it up to 14"

Although I too agree it is a waste to shoot the 338LM at 100 yards we need to do it to test an ammunitions accuracy capability to ensure that any flyers are the ammo and not caused by a gust of wind.

Couldn't agree more Bill. If I could only have one bolt gun, the Lapua would be my first choice every time. Factory Lapua ammo has always been the most consistent of any factory ammo I have used, only being trumped by handloads.

Re: Is the 338 Lapua magnum accurate? Check it ou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The farthest we have done documented accuracy testing with the SRS is 1600 meters, the ten shot group at 1600 meters had 8 shots in 7.5" and the other two opened it up to 14"

Although I too agree it is a waste to shoot the 338LM at 100 yards we need to do it to test an ammunitions accuracy capability to ensure that any flyers are the ammo and not caused by a gust of wind.

</div></div>

I could not agree more! Give me a couple weeks, I have at least one kidney to sell and 2000 meters of open ground......

You and me both!!! I so want a .338 Lapua!!!!
I was looking at a H&S HTR and was just drooling!!

How was the .338 to shoot? I have never shot one (I want one however), I hear it is a hammer?

I learned the importance of a good break when I upgraded my Serbu BFG-50 from Marks first production run design to his latest! They make an impressive difference!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 338LM is very easy to shoot, recoil is a bit more than a 308 win but it is very easy to get used to. </div></div>

should be quite a bit more, uses twice as much powder as a 308, roughly 45gr vs 95-100gr. with a break on the LM it might be close, but strait up the kick is no where near the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnda</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 338LM is very easy to shoot, recoil is a bit more than a 308 win but it is very easy to get used to. </div></div>

should be quite a bit more, uses twice as much powder as a 308, roughly 45gr vs 95-100gr. with a break on the LM it might be close, but strait up the kick is no where near the same. </div></div>

Good brakes do wonders.

I separated my shoulder back in college while skiing. 27 years later, without surgery, it'll still pop out doing certain things. One of these activities is shooting my brakeless 7 RemMag Sendero, if I get too loosey-goosey while shouldering it. It'll stretch my shoulder pocket causing quite a bit of pain if I get too cavalier with it. It's not hanging out, dangling, but it gets stretched a good bit from the sharp recoil.

I bought my 338 and was actually dreading the first range session. I've never shot a braked magnum rifle before, so I thought the worse.

Well, the day comes and I get out there and get tightened up to the rifle to the point of excess and squeezed the trigger. I remember the big boom and laughing out loud at how tame it was compoared to the 7mm. I wouldn't go as far as stating it's on par with a 308, but it's what, maybe 30/06 territory with heavies?

Certainly no where near the pain caused by my Sendero. I've never shot my 338LM with the brake off, not once and I don't think I really want to see what it's like without that brake.

Chris

As Chris said the muzzle brake will tame up to 50% of the rifles recoil if you use a good one, also the weight of the system changes recoil characteristics a lot. Another factor that significantly impacts recoil is the weight of the bullet, 300 grain bullets will kick much harder than 250 grain bullets.

If you have a good brake and are shooting a 10 lb 308 win and a 15.5 lb 338lm with a good break then your recoil impulse is going to be 14.78 lbs on the 338LM and 13.5 lbs on the 308 win. AS I SAID NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE!

Most people attribute the loud muzzle brake blast as recoil, we have customers make this mistake all the time, the solution for that is put a silencer on the barrel or double up on your hearing protection with foam inserts and muffs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most people attribute the loud muzzle brake blast as recoil, we have customers make this mistake all the time, the solution for that is put a silencer on the barrel or double up on your hearing protection with foam inserts and muffs.

</div></div>

This was the most noticeable thing to me when shooting my SRS in .338LM at the gun range. The actual kick is not bad but the muzzle blast is substantial (same type of thing with my .50 BMG). It would probably help to not be under a tin roof at the gun club but I would like to save up and get a suppressor for it eventually. Overall the rifle is a blast to shoot and very accurate.

The 338 LM is an amazingly accurate cartridge considering the power it develops. If you get used to the recoil and blast you'll be able to shoot very small groups at long range.

I just received this email from James O'neill who is the proud owner of a Desert Tactical SRS:

"Here's a 10 shot group shot with SRS .338 Lapua earlier this fall at 600...obviously I missed a small wind change on one round, otherwise very impressive rifle. When I first switched over to .338 barrel (I ordered original in .300) I thought something odd was going on as I could only see one hole (and I mean one caliber-sized hole) as I was re-zeroing scope. First five rounds out of the barrel into .115, I
kid you not.

Load was 250gr Scenar, 95gr Retumbo, Fed 215 match, Jamison brass(every bit as good as Lapua and at least was a great deal cheaper).

Saw the accuracy thread on the hide but posting pics is above my pay grade so I thought I'd pass this on. Add it if you want.

Best,
James O'Neill
aka "James in Wyoming" "

JamesOneill600yd10shotgroupaspx.jpg

Impressive 600yd group, I prefer the 300gr lapua schenar bullets, but every rifle is different. By far my best group is one I shot at 300 yds. It was 3 shots that measured .511". I used Lapua brass, FED 215GM primers, Hodgdon h1000 88grs, and the 300 gr Lapua bullet. What is the thickness and hardness of the steel you shot with your 338? I wont to get some steel targets, but Im not sure what to get.

I have an SRS 338 and am a fan of it. The kick is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. My shoulder can handle about 15 rounds at a time when prone. The main difference I noticed is that the kick feels a lot sharper. I've never had my sinuses cleared by a 308 but the 338 does it on a regular basis. I'm also shooting the 300gr smk's so that might make a good bit of difference. I've got some 300gr scenars I plan on loading up with some n560 for thanksgiving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 338LM is very easy to shoot, recoil is a bit more than a 308 win but it is very easy to get used to. </div></div>

I disagree with you on this one.

My PGWDTI Timberwolf has a recoil of, my opinion, an FN FAL. Friends say it's less. So much so, my friends GF, a 120lb snippit, shot it this summer and missed on the first shot but hit the 10"x12" plate at 400 with the remaining 9 rds.

All this because of a very well designed brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300gr scenars I plan on loading up with some n560 </div></div>

Be careful.

The target in the pic is AR 500 and some metric size around 3/8" made for me locally. I use a lot of LV shooter's 10x15" "mini-Larue" type targets which fold down when hit, these are excellent too. You must, however, stake these down or the .338 will roll them completely. AR 450 will also perform well if not shot inside of 500 or so.
best,
James