• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Is this normal Safety protocol for USPSA?

For all the shit PRS gets at least there's a 180 rule.

I've never shot any kind of hand gun match so honestly don't know, but I cringed like a mofo at the 5 sec mark.

At the 5 second mark he fires 2 shots and thyen you can see he points the gun to his left because he knows he is moving uprange and sideways. He keeps the muzzle down range.
Also, before someone starts shooting a stage like that I get everybody in the squad back a little further than normal, or in the case of this video, back and to the left. I have been back behind the shooting area but far enough to the side that I could see the muzzle when someone was shooting. The first time it happened I said "oh shit". But in reality pretty much everyone shooting a USPSA match is safer than your average shooter. When new people show up or you are dealing with someone shooting a PCC for the first time the more experienced people will coach them and walk the stage with them and show them how point their gun and position their body so they don't break the 180.

I watched it several times and slowed it down. It looks fine... the wide angle less does play tricks with our perception, but even with that, this looks within 180.

For people here saying they won't do USPSA, try it, it's a fun challenge. It was my first entry in to competitive shooting as an adult and then I got back to my bolt action roots (smallbore as a teen) and get in to PRS. Most guys around here do both.

1000%

Stage DQs are a fucking joke.

Add skeet, trap, and especially sporting clays to the list of sports with zero safety culture and enforcement.
Not an expert about the other clay target sports but I do disagree with your throwing registered skeet under the bus on safety.

I shot registered skeet for a few decades, ran a top 20 national shoot, was state Pres for a bit and ran the state shoot, and was on the NSSA BOD.

I’m not aware of any shooting injury/death in registered skeet. I’ve never even seen a ND on a registered skeet field.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Not an expert about the other clay target sports but I do disagree with your throwing registered skeet under the bus on safety.

I shot registered skeet for a few decades, ran a top 20 national shoot, was state Pres for a bit and ran the state shoot, and was on the NSSA BOD.

I’m not aware of any shooting injury/death in registered skeet. I’ve never even seen a ND on a registered skeet field.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Respectfully, I've never been muzzle swept in the five years I've been actively competing in action pistol sports. I can't say that about SK/TP/SC.