• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Movie Theater It's Taps for The Unit

Re: It's Taps for The Unit

Man, I really liked The Unit too. Backward bipod and BDC reticle aside, I was really starting to like it better then 24. lol

Perhaps it should come back as a sitcom, since about 50% of it was like that already.

I'd like to see the folks who did The Shield get ahold of it and put it on FX.

Some parts of the show reminded me of 'Over There'. They at least got the episode with the SF colonel right.

But the 'The Unit' books are better than the show. Books-A-Million has them I think.

Even if they wore bunny suits and killed bin laden four times in one episode by crashing flaming motor scooters into his cave entrance, it'd still be only 10% as unrealistic and fake as "24."

Here's my assessment of it:

I've tried watching "24" because of how exciting everyone says it is.

That ugly little troll is on that show, and I have already decided not to watch it both because she is in it, and for other reasons as well:

As I watched it, I began to see some elements of moonbat left politics sneaking in....

1 - Jack Bauer is, at this time poisoned with a biological agent. The FBI can only fix him if they get "STEM CELLS" from his daughter, Kim.

2 - "Starkwood." This is the liberal incarnation of Blackwater on TV. They are portrayed in a full blown coup d’état against the legitimate government of the USA.

3 - The actor portraying the leader of "Starkwood" (John Voight) in real life is a conservative. (see http://newsbusters.org/node/12633) It's more than curious he is casted as such an evil character against the background of other story line decisions in the show.

4 - In the latest episode, the "Starkwood" compound has been overtaken by the FBI and other government forces, however one of the evil "Starkwood" people escape. The government is doing a grid-by-grid search of a neighborhood, and it's not going as quickly as the female agent in charge would like. She interrogates an unseen agent on the radio as to why a house-to-house search is taking so long, and the individual replies:

"A lot of people aren't thrilled about having their home searched at 2:30 in the morning."

She replies:

"Well, ARREST THOSE PEOPLE! We can't take a chance of this guy getting away."

A far-left government would of course think this way.

5 - Jack Bauer is again a HERO, after only three weeks (actually several hours if you want to be technical) at which time he engaged an FBI swat team in a protracted gun battle and drove a chevy through the wall of a parking garage, thus evading them artfully and completely. The satellites, helicopters and other devices used to track so many others on the show are curiously not brought to bear where the capture of Jack Bauer is concerned. .....After the attempted murder of several federal agents. This isn't necessarily a left/right issue, but more of a complete implausibility, which this show is replete with.

I just can't stomach it. I bet if Jack Bauer was in Hell's Kitchen, Gordon Ramsay would bitch his ass to tears on day one for fucking up a bunch of beef wellingtons.

--Fargo007

Well, it lasted longer than any of the key people in the production expected - probably one of the reasons it went downhill after the second season. I personally have only seen the first few episodes; you guys make it sound like I missed out.

It never seems to amaze me that people in the entertainment industry never realize how far out there, some of the episodes are. If they would tone them back a little, but leave some of the "movie" in the episodes I think they would have done much better compromise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just can't stomach it. I bet if Jack Bauer was in Hell's Kitchen, Gordon Ramsay would bitch his ass to tears on day one for fucking up a bunch of beef wellingtons.

</div></div>

LOL
laugh.gif

Now this is depressing. It may not have been all that realistic at times, but it was quality entertainment to me and my family. Major bummer right there. I wish they would cancel 24 or some of those other "action" shows that just flat out suck IMO.

I'll take 24 over The Unit any day. Sure, 24 is completely unrealistic, but the contrived plot lines on The Unit are hideous.

I had CQ duty a couple years back and had my buddy bring me the whole first season of The Unit. I got through 4 epidsodes and switched over to my book. A series that fails the CQ duty test is pretty damn bad. No loss to TV viewers, IMHO.

If we're going to bring up kickass shows from the 80s, I loved Tour of Duty. I've watched it a few times in re-runs and granted, it's quality is not what I remembered. But man, when I was a kid, you couldn't beat me away from the TV when that show was on.

I was never able to get interested in The Unit.

If you want a reasonably enjoyable SF type series. Try to catch the first two seasons of "Ultimate Force" on BBC America (if they're still showing it). Chris Ryan was the advisor for the show for the first two seasons and while still a TV drama it had some good actors as was fun to watch.

After the second season though Ryan left and the series took a nose dive and really isn't worth watching.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6IK4AEYYWB4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6IK4AEYYWB4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

(ETA: Embedding appears to be disabled, just click on it twice to link over to youtube)