• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Gunsmithing Jet Metal Lathe

armydog

Staff Sargeant Ret.
Minuteman
  • Nov 26, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Dumb Question, looking at a Jet Metal Lathe BD-920N for doing some home on the side gunsmithing, the Hole Through Spindle is 25/32nds, the barrel of an 03 Springfield at the chamber is 1.20in but of course tapers down and I could fit the barrel in it, is it worth my time? The guy is asking 1K and I'm thinking of offering him 800.00. It looks it good condition, comes with a 4 and 3 jaw chick, 20 inches between centers, can cut threads. Seems a little small to me but thought I'd ask the pros.

Re: Jet Metal Lathe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dumb Question, looking at a Jet Metal Lathe BD-920N for doing some home on the side gunsmithing, the Hole Through Spindle is 25/32nds, the barrel of an 03 Springfield at the chamber is 1.20in but of course tapers down and I could fit the barrel in it, is it worth my time? The guy is asking 1K and I'm thinking of offering him 800.00. It looks it good condition, comes with a 4 and 3 jaw chick, 20 inches between centers, can cut threads. Seems a little small to me but thought I'd ask the pros. </div></div>

Before the pro's chime in, I'll lend my amateur comment. I have that lathe. To make it work well, you'll need to do several things to it (ie manufacture new parts to make it work right.) I'm not so sure about threading barrels through the stock on this one. It's pretty tight in there, and I was under the impression that I never would be able to do it. Cutting steel on this lathe is possible but not very easy. It works great on aluminum but there are toolpost issues with it's design that make cutting steel (esp gun steel) a little difficult. Personally, if I could afford an actual gunsmith's lathe I would get that instead and sell mine. If you do buy this one, make sure that you get both sets of jaws for the 3-jaw chuck as you'll need them for larger workpieces, especially when you're making the new toolpost stuff.

If you do a google search for a guy named "Steve Bedair" and his 9x20 lathe site you'll see all the mods that will eventually need to be done. Some are for fancy stuff but if you plan on doing any precision milling on this you're going to have to make some new components. Threading requires a lot of differnt gears that need to be changed out so make sure that you get those with it if you buy it. Typically it comes with a a couple of extra rests (center and steady) too that fit on the bedways. This lathe is a chinese piece that is rebranded for Jet, Enco, Grizzly, HArbor Freight, etc. They all sell parts/accessories for it, FYI.

Hope this helped rather than hindered and good luck with whatever you choose.

Brian.

IIRC the 9x20 has only goes down to about 400rpm which is 'smokin' for threading, especially a beginner. Same for chamber reaming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: persistant7500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">73 fast back, would that put you in the Ashtabula Geneva area? I grew up in Ashtabula</div></div>

About 35 miles or so east of that area. I like to go up that way when I can. nice area around the lake