Jones Tactical?

Shibumi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2004
Las Vegas
http://twitter.com/jonestacticalhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/jonestactical/5230776870/
You aren't signed in Sign In Help Search

· Everyone's Uploads Groups Flickr Members For a Location Applications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jones Tactical's Photostream HomeThe Tour
Explore

Explore Page Last 7 Days Interesting Popular Tags Calendar Most Recent Uploads Video on Flickr Galleries Explore Analog Flickr Clock Getty Images
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
World Map Places
The Commons Creative Commons
FlickrBlog code.flickr The App Garden Camera Finder Upload ☆ FavoriteActions▾Share this▾NewerOlderCustomer wanted a larger Skid Plate. Sotech on top, Jones Tactical on the bottom. What, what??
Sent via my thumbs from somewhere...
----
Jones Tactical
(404) 939-2611
Atlanta, GA
www.jonestactical.com

Does anybody know who this guy is?
This was brought to my attention, and I would like to hear more about him.
Evidently a customer bought an A-3 Skid Plate and asked him to build it bigger. That would then make it an A-5!
Clearly he is proud of his ability to produce an EXACT replica.
Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Jones Tactical RIPPING OFF Skid Plate!

Well that's about fucked up.

I am checking my sources to see if he is on any of the Sew-Bitch websites I frequent. Those guys don't dig ripoffs either. Great way to get your ass handed to you in a relatively small community.

ETA:

He posts under rjones70 on DIY Tactical. His last post was in 2009 though. I haven't checked Lightfighter yet.

I posted it up over at DIY. Lots of designers over there and if someone is ripping off commercial designs it needs to be known. We frequently share ideas there so I really wouldn't like one of my originals to end up in someone else's product lineup.

Apparently he was kicked off of DIY Tactical for ripping off designs. That is the intel I got there.

Not very cool in the least. If he just made one, then it doesn't make much financial sense to go after him, but if he routinely rips SOTech gear then it may be worth a "cease and desist" letter.

How the F do any of you understand what the hell that original post says?
smile.gif

I'm confused but if someone is stealing someone else's work that is BS.

Jones Tactical had a customer ask for a large SOTech Skidplate.

Jones made it for him instead of suggesting he buy one from SOTech and posted it in his Twitter channel.

http://twitter.com/jonestactical

Here is the pic from flickr:

5230776870_cea740ee59.jpg

As you can see it's an EXACT duplicate.

I don't have any personal contact with Jones Tactical, but when I posted this up on another board I was advised that he has ripped off other small designers.

The tactical gear industry is not very receptive to this stuff. Us small guys cannot afford to patent or enforce patents. We also try to help each other out while getting as much from a design as we can before the Chinese manufacturers rip us off. It's a bit of a stab in the back when a domestic manufacturer rips you off.

Now I don't have any connection to SOTech other than communicating with Phil. I just think it's fucked up and I will be pissed when it happens to me.

Is there some type of patent infringement going on here?

What would lead you to believe that something like this isn't something that anyone can produce?

"Ripping off"? Please. It's called capitalism and competition. Want an exclusive right to produce a product? Apply for and get a patent from the USPTO.

Otherwise, you have no right to complain if someone copies your product.

Somehow I have serious doubts about the ability to patent a piece of cloth that has no serious use other than to protect your stock from scratches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its not about patents and copywrites its about honor or lack of. </div></div>

BIG +1, Mike!!! And...this kind of crap proves once again that some people will never have any.

Not to mention that in an ideal world, we wouldn't need patents or copywrites. Asking if there has been any patent infringement is just begging for more lawyer involvement when that is the last thing America needs. We need honorable people who are trying to make and honest living while understanding that it's ok for the next guy to make a living as well.

There was a thread not too long ago where a guy was asking about a sling. Both "Tactical" and "TBurkes" (both well known sling manufacturers) responded to the guy and I think they both said that what the guy needed was what the other guy made! THESE GUYS WERE MORE CONCERNED WITH THE COSTUMER BEING SATISFIED THAN WITH MAKING A SALE!!! Wow, what stand up guys!

I went ahead and found the link in case you don't believe me: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...211#Post2181211

Phil,

Thanks for throwing this up here before you contacted me personally. As I said in the email I sent you, this was a one off custom piece I made for a customer who wanted the pad larger. I had no idea you made a bigger one, didn't even know you made them at all, cause it's not my line of gear. I apologize for the trouble it has caused you.

Lonewolf: Re: DIY Tactical: That was sorted out with the other party.

Mike/TIS: I don't know of an Eagle V Neck Sling, I do know of a BFG V Neck Sling that came out after mine, but there's nothing I can do about it. You can't get a patent for weaving webbing through Molle channels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THESE GUYS WERE MORE CONCERNED WITH THE COSTUMER BEING SATISFIED THAN WITH MAKING A SALE!!!</div></div>

I routinely send customers of mine to other small makers.

Seems to be misunderstanding between two companies Modified for that reason

Most companies will modify THIER PRODUCTS for customers. I have had guys asking me to make modifications to others products many times. I dontdo it. Wont do it and dont think it was a wise choice on your part.

On the Eagle, V type sling system. Not sure what they called it but I first saw in early 2000's. Looks exactly like what your making. Not sure if they even make them anymore

This was the email that my customer sent me, and the same one I sent to Phil and others at SOTECH:

I am the customer that approached Jones Tactical regarding
modification of the SOTech Skid Plate. I believe there has been a
misunderstanding and hopefully this will clear it up.
I learned of the SOTech skid plate after seeing it on another guy's
rifle at the range during a competition. He spoke very highly of it
and I went home and did research on it. I learned of the two sizes
available. Measuring the stock on my rifle (Bell and Carlson) showed
that the published dimensions of Length 7" x Width 6" for the A5 would
be too large in the length dimension and the A3 length 5.5" x width 4"
would be tight in the width dimension, but hopefully would work. I
promptly ordered one from Brownells. When it arrived, the length was
perfect, but it was too narrow (measured width 3.75") and it was not
going to work as hoped. I then approached Jones who has done several
pieces of custom work for me to modify it. I know Jones to be a stand
up guy and he does great work. It was easier for him to make one from
scratch rather than tear the SOTech one apart. He has no plans for
making any more of these. The actual dimensions of the one off is
Length 5.5" x Width 6.375", so it may be too wide. I'm stuck at work
right now, and have not had a chance to try it. If you want, I'll
destroy it and the SOTech skid plate. I can't use the SOTech, and
don't want to use the one off if it's going to cause friction. I am
only a recreational shooter that was looking to improve my gear.
Jones was doing something I asked him to do and not in any way trying
to rip you off or take money out of your pocket.

JF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most companies will modify THIER PRODUCTS for customers. I have had guys asking me to make modifications to others products many times. I dontdo it. Wont do it and dont think it was a wise choice on your part.

On the Eagle, V type sling system. Not sure what they called it but was out about seven years ago. Looks exactly like what your making. Not sure if they even make them anymore

</div></div>

He bought a SOTECH from a reseller, found out it didn't work for him, then he came to me.

Don't know on the Eagle, they don't list one now. I came up with mine back in the early 2000's over on ESSTAC's forum board, which is no more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jones Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I routinely send customers of mine to other small makers.</div></div>
Very well.

It sounds like, as is often the case, there is at least 2 sides to this story. Since I have no dog in this fight, I think I will not comment on it. Good luck to all those involved.

F if I know why/if they dont show on Eagles website. Maybe its a product they dropped when they sold the company? I know I saw more than one guy using them back in early 2000s and at Shot Show way back when, long before the 2008 year your website says you have been in business since. They all had Eagle tags on them. Had some guys ask me to make them but I knew Eagle had done so so I did not do so.

So if we read you correctly? This is misunderstanding and you wont be making anymore or copies of anyone else's products?

From what I have read it is not a copy, it is a custom sized product that is not offered by the original manufacturer in the configuration the end user was looking for.

If one gunsmith makes a copy of another smiths build for a customer is that smith shunned? No, so why is Jones being shunned for making a custom piece of gear modeled after anothers design?

Looks like everyone took this way out of proportion. No patent means he can make it if he wants too even though that doesn't seem to be the case, looks like he was just helping a returning customer out with a 1 time deal. You guys got your panties in a bunch without even contacting the guy and giving him a chance to make it right, sad.

BTW I have no affiliation with any of you besides the fact that I own a SO-Tech skid plate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No patent means he can make it if he wants too even though that doesn't seem to be the case...........</div></div>

Actually no, it doesn't. Just because I don't have a patent on an original design doesn't mean I can't sue the hell out of a copy-cat if I care to spend the time and money. It just makes it a little more difficult to prove I was first to market with it.

But great ethical standpoint you have there.

"Once is by happenstance.
Twice is coincidence.
Three times is enemy action."

Time will tell if this is a continuing pattern. There are many in this line of work who don't have any innovation or ethics. Hopefully this is not the case here. I still smell some BS in this argument.

Mike,

That is the problem with internet comms, there is no inflection on tone. I only said it is not on their site, as of right now. If there was an issue with mine and Eagle's I would have heard about it, believe you me.

I don't make copies of others products, and yes, this was and is a misunderstanding. I was trying to help out a good customer with a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jones, rodger that and if I can be of any help just ask. Everything you have said sounds reasonable to me. </div></div>

Same here. Stu still helping you out?

Must be some confusion, Stu is a friend but he has never made any of my products for me.

The following does not apply here but does in many cases:
On copies in general it is a huge problem in industry and purchasing copies because they are cheaper will only cause larger problems. You have guys who design, TxE and build gear. They have over head to pay for making things and changing them again and again to make them better. You then have guys who just reverse engineer and reap the benifits because they make more money on the products because all they did was monkey see monkey do, with no everhead.

If you buy from guys who only copy, you will eventually lose the guys who actually design things because they will go broke.
PM sent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be some confusion, Stu is a friend but he has never made any of my products for me.

On copies in general it is a huge problem in industry and purchasing copies because they are cheaper will only cause larger problems. You have guys who design, TxE and build gear. They have over head to pay for making things and changing them again and again to make them better. You then have guys who just reverse engineer and reap the benifits because they make more money on the products because all they did was monkey see monkey do, with no everhead.

If you buy from guys who only copy, you will eventually lose the guys who actually design things because they will go broke.
PM sent </div></div>

Couldn't be said any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I have read it is not a copy, it is a custom sized product that is not offered by the original manufacturer in the configuration the end user was looking for.

If one gunsmith makes a copy of another smiths build for a customer is that smith shunned? No, so why is Jones being shunned for making a custom piece of gear modeled after anothers design? </div></div>

If another smith builds a rifle to Hospitalizer specs with commonly available parts, it is what it is, but, if they prouce a copy of a Templar action, that's a different story, see the difference?

If I were to buy a skid pad from Phil and want to modify it, I see no issue with doing so...but if I walk into a stich shop and say, hey can you make me a skid pad like Phils...it would be pretty shitty for them to do it. There is such a thing as intelectual property (legit legal speak) and it does not require a patent. There is also such thing as integrity, some have it, some don't.

And to all the people yelling about contacting so and so before posting here...read the thread, he plainly asked if anyone knew who this guy was.

Now he knows, hopefully, this has been resolved to all parties satisfaction..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I have read it is not a copy, it is a custom sized product that is not offered by the original manufacturer in the configuration the end user was looking for.

If one gunsmith makes a copy of another smiths build for a customer is that smith shunned? No, so why is Jones being shunned for making a custom piece of gear modeled after anothers design? </div></div>

If another smith builds a rifle to Hospitalizer specs with commonly available parts, it is what it is, but, if they prouce a copy of a Templar action, that's a different story, see the difference?

If I were to buy a skid pad from Phil and want to modify it, I see no issue with doing so...but if I walk into a stich shop and say, hey can you make me a skid pad like Phils...it would be pretty shitty for them to do it. There is such a thing as intelectual property (legit legal speak) and it does not require a patent. There is also such thing as integrity, some have it, some don't.

A<span style="color: #FF0000">nd to all the people yelling about contacting so and so before posting here...read the thread, he plainly asked if anyone knew who this guy was.</span>

Now he knows, hopefully, this has been resolved to all parties satisfaction.. </div></div>

Thread title says more than, "anyone know who this guy is".

Like I said, Phil doesnt offer the skid plate in the size the end user was looing for. He purchased the original skid plate from a reseller of Phil's gear. The end user had to make a decision either part A or part B, he figured part A would be what he needed, it wasnt. He asked JT to replicate the SOTech skid plate to a custom set of dimentions. I dont see how this is any different than going to a custom car shop and asking for someone else to to make a clone of a car but to different specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont see how this is any different than going to a custom car shop and asking for someone else to to make a clone of a car but to different specs. </div></div>

Perfect example.

What do you think would happen if Chrysler decided to build a Corvette in a color GM doesn't offer with a 2" shorter wheelbase?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Outsy said:
And to all the people yelling about contacting so and so before posting here...read the thread, he plainly asked if anyone knew who this guy was.</div></div>

He didn't just ask who I was, and the title says a lot more than it should. He posted this here first, and then sent me an email a day later. Sorry, but that's not how you handle disputes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jones Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Outsy said:
And to all the people yelling about contacting so and so before posting here...read the thread, he plainly asked if anyone knew who this guy was.</div></div>

He didn't just ask who I was, and the title says a lot more than it should. Sorry, but that's not how you handle disputes. </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont see how this is any different than going to a custom car shop and asking for someone else to to make a clone of a car but to different specs. </div></div>

Perfect example.

What do you think would happen if Chrysler decided to build a Corvette in a color GM doesn't offer with a 2" shorter wheelbase? </div></div>

And how many car builders are there out there building Elanor clones? Cobra clones?

Im sorry but the car world is FULL of clones and it happens every day and they sell for BIG money. There are builders out there that do nothing but build clone cars to customer specs.

That is what has happened here ..... a customer requested a clone from a custom shop to have the look and feel of the original but built slightly different. The custom shop did not build it from the original but rather built the one off from the ground up to look like the original.

Im sorry but I dont think this is a big deal, I was at Fort Benning this weekend sitting around when another competitor asked a guy if he could modify a piece of gear for him for next year but make some changes to it ..... guy said no problem, when match is done give it to me and Ill built it out to what you want or Ill make you a new one entirely.

How many drag bags are clones of one another, with slight changes?

I'm sure glad there's more people making r5 rifling than than the original maker, but I still get most of them from boots, and mag pouches, and mags for that matter, throw scope rings in there, I don't see any difference here.

Outsy/Jones

Lets clarify a few points
SOTech (Phil) will do custom work. So that argument falls down there.

In the referenced correspondence the “SO Tech skid plate” was referenced by name so it was not as though someone handed you a napkin sketch to create a copy you essentially took a known manufacturers name and product, put it on a copier ( did not say Xerox with the 2 r’s )and enlarged it x percentage. You knowingly did this for profit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No patent means he can make it if he wants too even though that doesn't seem to be the case...........</div></div>

Actually no, it doesn't. Just because I don't have a patent on an original design doesn't mean I can't sue the hell out of a copy-cat if I care to spend the time and money. It just makes it a little more difficult to prove I was first to market with it.

But great ethical standpoint you have there.

"Once is by happenstance.
Twice is coincidence.
Three times is enemy action."

Time will tell if this is a continuing pattern. There are many in this line of work who don't have any innovation or ethics. Hopefully this is not the case here. I still smell some BS in this argument. </div></div>

Wrong. You cannot "own" the design for anything without a patent. It doesn't matter if you're first to market with it or not. The only way to own a design of a product is to apply for a patent from the USPTO. When your patent is granted, which will be years later, you will have a patent from the day of filing.

You don't have any legal right to exclusive ownership of a design without a patent. I have my doubts as to whether this item could be patented at all, considering what it is and how it's used.

The market has no inherent "ethics." There's plenty of profit for everybody.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont see how this is any different than going to a custom car shop and asking for someone else to to make a clone of a car but to different specs. </div></div>

Perfect example.

What do you think would happen if Chrysler decided to build a Corvette in a color GM doesn't offer with a 2" shorter wheelbase? </div></div>

Nothing unless it used the trademark, "Corvette," "GM" or some other item that was the intellectual property of someone else. Your example is clearly erroneous anyway.

This is more like a guy who copied the unpatented seat design of a five year old Corvette, manufactured the seat, and installed it in a Chrysler. So what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention that in an ideal world, we wouldn't need patents or copywrites. Asking if there has been any patent infringement is just begging for more lawyer involvement when that is the last thing America needs. We need honorable people who are trying to make and honest living while understanding that it's ok for the next guy to make a living as well.</div></div>

It seems that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of patents and trademarks--especially patents.

The purpose of patents is to foster innovation by giving a person a short period of time for which they can have exclusive right to produce a design. That way, they can recover their R&D costs that would otherwise be history when everyone copied the product.

A patent comes with no enforcement rights. If you're not willing to "get lawyers involved" and sue, your patent isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The government isn't out taking people to jail for violating a patent.

Patents are limited in 1. scope and 2. duration for a reason. The purpose is so other capitalists can copy, improve, change, and produce and market the ideas of others.

The ridiculous suggestion that you "own" or otherwise can prevent another capitalist from using your idea without a patent is ridiculous. It violates even the SOLE reason for having a patent regime at all.

We, as consumers, WANT people to copy designs. It's what makes products cheaper for all of us. It's what allows the market to innovate and create a better product. And best of all, it does something about all the Barfcom losers hanging from Mark LaRue's nuts.

You want to own a design for something? Convince the USPTO that your product is useful, non-obvious, has not been patented by someone else, etc., get a lawyer to draft your patent application and have at it. If you make a product that is obvious, not a new idea, etc., however, you have no right to complain when someone else copies it.

It's no different than having 20 different brands of Aspirin at the store--the scale is just smaller.

Sometimes I wonder how America got so economically successful when I see people making these clearly anti-trade, anti-capitalist, anti-competition arguments when there's zero doubt that competition breeds success.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be some confusion, Stu is a friend but he has never made any of my products for me.

PM sent </div></div>

That's why we have a patent system in this country. Have something truly innovative? Patent it! Otherwise you have no right to complain if someone copies your product.

(and I am one of your customers and I'm very happy with your product. I'd never buy a cheap copy from someone else because I want YOUR product...no copy is equal. The value comes from the fact that it has your brand name and trademarks, to me, not the actual materials or whatever. I don't want to spend time evaluating your competitor's copies--I want the one that everyone knows works)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shibumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Does anybody know who this guy is?
</div></div>

Just sayin, he did ask, it is quite obvious that he was asking for info, not just openly accusing someone.

First post was background info, then a question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outsy/Jones

In the referenced correspondence the “SO Tech skid plate” was referenced by name so it was not as though someone handed you a napkin sketch to create a copy you essentially took a known manufacturers name and product, put it on a copier ( did not say Xerox with the 2 r’s )and enlarged it x percentage. You knowingly did this for profit. </div></div>

Chiller, maybe the end user of the pad did not know that Phil would do something custom for him. He did not purchase directly from Phil, as you can see it went thru a distributor, Brownelles. If you look at wherever and see that only two sizes of something are made and want something in the middle what do you do? Buy the bigger one and chop it down to what you want if you have the know how, or do you go to a custom gear maker and have him modify it, or build you a new one.

I just dont see what the big deal is about the whole thing.

Dewey cleaning rods come in standard sizes, say you want one that is inbetween sizes and know a guy that can make you one, what is the difference?

Jones made a piece of custom gear for someone and put it out there that he did it ... big whoop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outsy/Jones

In the referenced correspondence the “SO Tech skid plate” was referenced by name so it was not as though someone handed you a napkin sketch to create a copy you essentially took a known manufacturers name and product, put it on a copier ( did not say Xerox with the 2 r’s )and enlarged it x percentage. You knowingly did this for profit. </div></div>

Chiller, maybe the end user of the pad did not know that Phil would do something custom for him. He did not purchase directly from Phil, as you can see it went thru a distributor, Brownelles. If you look at wherever and see that only two sizes of something are made and want something in the middle what do you do? Buy the bigger one and chop it down to what you want if you have the know how, or do you go to a custom gear maker and have him modify it, or build you a new one.

Dewey cleaning rods come in standard sizes, say you want one that is inbetween sizes and know a guy that can make you one, what is the difference?

Jones made a piece of custom gear for someone and put it out there that he did it ... big whoop. </div></div>

lots of "maybes" in this. will ask a simple quetions. Did he ask?

If people only knew how many of the products that they buy on a daily basis were rebadged and resold by other retailers, this anger would be much greater.

This is why businessmen don't talk about these sorts of things.

Downzero, says on profile your occupation is "Law School". Does that mean you are a Law Student?

Unless your a Lawyer, having passed the bar, your out of your lane. If you have passed bar then please give a Legal Opinion, but keep in mind Legal Opinions are only good if backed by actual case law. Please give case decisions backing your position.

Your information is not consistent with several Lawyers I have had on retainer.

Please ?copying prodcuts is what made America Strong? Give me a freakin break. Making new products, from original ideas and making them better is what made us strong. Copying shit and making cheaper is what China is doing to us. This we do not agree on.

Now back to this thread. Seems to me this was a misunderstanding and has been explained, via here and email. The email from customer is pretty good evidence no real malice was involved. Would be nice to have the "Rip Off" taken down

The one thing you are correct on is I am not a real businessman. If I was I would not be in firearms industry at all. LOL

Taking something from the public domain and improving it, whether you admit it or not, is a form of "copying." It happens every day. That's what innovation IS. The first guy who invented a tractor, or a centerfire rifle, or the rifling process, or an automobile didn't just sit there and invent everything from scrach. A horse-drawn buggy became a car, a steam engine turned into a gasoline or diesel engine, a simple drivetrain morphed into a multi gear, high speed operation, wood wheels were made of steel, and then aluminum, and now fancy alloys, etc.

No idea, however new and fresh, comes out of thin air. Every idea builds on the knowledge that is preexisting in the world. This isn't a legal point or whatever. It's one of philosophy--specifically, epistemology--the method by which knowledge is created. Shakespeare doesn't have an exclusive right to produce love stories. People use his ideas to create their own stories all the time. The mistake is thinking that anyone can own an idea--they can't.

China's economy has historically grown at three times the rate that ours has grown at over the last 20 years. If you think bringing up China bolsters your argument, I'm sorry to say that you've brought up the counterpoint that disproves every point you're trying to make in your post. The Chinese engage in a lot of intellectual property "theft" because they don't have an effective intellectual property regime like we have, and that behavior is predatory and obviously indefensible. That said, the Chinese have become experts in producing what are SOMETIMES decent products that we can all use at lower cost. It's called competition. It's the driving force behind capitalism. And the opposite--which is what many are advocating here--is called MONOPOLY. Monopoly sucks for everybody except the monopolist. And yet forums like this one are full of people who are ready to defend the monopolist at the expense of every consumer. This is nothing less than straight up brainwashing. In other words, "don't buy my product because it's better than everyone else's, buy it because I'm the person who brought it to market first and thus should have the exclusive right to exploit whatever profit I desire from it." Is that the American way? If you think so, I can think of a whole lot of history that you, and others, ought to read, starting at about 1800, when the British, not the Americans, were the world's manufacturing owners.

The personal attacks are clearly out of line. If you have any other comments, feel free to take it to PM. Unlike others, I won't take this personally and I'll still buy your products, though, because they're better than your competition. Not because I like you or the way you do business (although I do). I'll continue to buy any product that offers the value I desire from it.

We don't need any more monopolists in our economy. We have plenty. Want to be a businessman? Want my business? Make a better product. Don't hide behind "morals" or some other nonsense that the market doesn't recognize. Make a better product than the guy before you, or make the same thing less expensive, and people will buy it.

And feel free to continue to hate on the Chinese. They don't care a bit. They're going to own us soon and they know it--because they are doing just what I said--supplying what the market is willing and able to buy at lower cost.

Downzero, not a personal attack. You state Law School in your profile and act like lawyer. Is this a legal opinion of a lawyer or just a person with an opinion.

Itys an honest question as I have paid lawyers for legal opinions before that differ from what you have put up here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Downzero, not a personal attack. You state Law School in your profile and act like lawyer. Is this a legal opinion of a lawyer or just a person with an opinion.

Itys an honest question as I have paid lawyers for legal opinions before that differ from what you have put up here. </div></div>

There's nothing about law school in my profile.

If you have paid lawyers to give you legal opinions about other facts and other products not discussed here, their opinion may not be valid for the discussion here. Or it may be. A professional legal opinion is specific to one particular set of facts. If you are giving YOUR legal opinion on this matter, it is perhaps you who school be careful about engaging in the unlicensed practice of law.

Stating what the law is, is not giving legal advice or giving a legal opinion. The state of the law in the United States is that you cannot own an idea, period. Neither a patent, copyright, nor trademark allows you to own an idea. Don't believe me? Call that lawyer you've got on "retainer." I'm sure he'll be happy to bill every minute you're on the phone with him at his usual hourly rate.

This post was started as some sort of "morality" post about one person stealing another person's market share illegitimately by supplying a similar product. The other side's defenders are suggesting that the original producer of the product owns the idea. As I stated before, this is not legal advice, it is merely a fact--nobody can own an idea--whether theirs or someone else's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outsy/Jones

Jones made a piece of custom gear for someone and put it out there that he did it ... big whoop. </div></div>

lots of "maybes" in this. will ask a simple quetions. Did he ask?
</div></div>

I don't see it's Jones Tactical responsibility to ensure the customer has done his due diligence. His repeat customer came to him with a detailed request for a one off piece. He took the business produced what was paid for and end of.

i think Jones seems to have gotten a raw deal in this thread by and large and has shown a pretty remarkable level of restraint. The Rip Off in the title should be removed.

Downzero, you obviously just changed your profile to exclude the prior mention of Law School. I see now it has been changed. I read it there when you where telling what the law was. That was the reason for the question. Please no revisionist history on that subject. I understand from PM you are not a Lawyer.

As to what law says as before please site cases and or code you are reading from. Many years of working investigations taught me to read laws and case law for myself. Until then I will stick with what several lawyers have told me.