Jones Tactical?

Re: Jones Tactical RIPPING OFF Skid Plate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Downzero, you obviously just changed your profile to exclude the prior mention of Law School. I see now it has been changed. I read it there when you where telling what the law was. That was the reason for the question. Please no revisionist history on that subject. I understand from PM you are not a Lawyer.

As to what law says as before please site cases and or code you are reading from. Many years of working investigations taught me to read laws and case law for myself. Until then I will stick with what several lawyers have told me. </div></div>

Sure thing. As to the question, "Can you own an idea"? I stated that the answer is no. I will demonstrate that the clear answer is no. Let me be very clear that I'm not a professional in this area. I know how capitalism is supposed to work and I have a BA degree in Economics. I also know how to read, so hopefully my reading skills will prove useful here.

This came from here:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/index.html#whatpat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Can Be Patented

The patent law specifies the general field of subject matter that can be patented and the conditions under which a patent may be obtained.

In the language of the statute, any person who “invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent,” subject to the conditions and requirements of the law. The word “process” is defined by law as a process, act or method, and primarily includes industrial or technical processes. The term “machine” used in the statute needs no explanation. The term “manufacture” refers to articles that are made, and includes all manufactured articles. The term “composition of matter” relates to chemical compositions and may include mixtures of ingredients as well as new chemical compounds. These classes of subject matter taken together include practically everything that is made by man and the processes for making the products.

The Atomic Energy Act of 1954 excludes the patenting of inventions useful solely in the utilization of special nuclear material or atomic energy in an atomic weapon 42 U.S.C. 2181 (a).

The patent law specifies that the subject matter must be “useful.” The term “useful” in this connection refers to the condition that the subject matter has a useful purpose and also includes operativeness, that is, a machine which will not operate to perform the intended purpose would not be called useful, and therefore would not be granted a patent.

Interpretations of the statute by the courts have defined the limits of the field of subject matter that can be patented, thus it has been held that the laws of nature, physical phenomena, and abstract ideas are not patentable subject matter.

<span style="font-weight: bold">A patent cannot be obtained upon a mere idea or suggestion.</span> The patent is granted upon the new machine, manufacture, etc., as has been said, and not upon the idea or suggestion of the new machine. A complete description of the actual machine or other subject matter for which a patent is sought is required. </div></div>

I hope this establishes that a patent cannot be based on an idea. Therefore, if one can own an idea, he cannot do so under patent law.

This came from here:
http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jsp#DefineTrademark
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What is a trademark?

A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. In short, a trademark is a brand name.</div></div>

This one ought to be obvious. A trademark protects a brand name or a symbol that people recognize as associated with a market product. Therefore, trademarks do not protect an "idea," either.

This came from here:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. <span style="font-weight: bold">Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.</span> See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section "What Works Are Protected." </div></div>

I hope we're clear on this now. Neither patent, trademark, nor copyright protects ideas. Nobody can own an idea.

I just got home, so here is my response to this thread.

1-The Skid Plate has a Patent Pending.

2-I tried 2 times to contact Mr. Jones via phone.

3-I received a email from Mr. Jones and have not had time to respond yet.

4-This is the 2nd time a gear maker has made the Skid Plate for someone else, and another time a gear maker was allegedly about to distribute it for sale. In total 3 times in 3 months is getting old.

5-Downzero, you have a very articulate view of the law and economics, however this is a different situation. For the gear makers in this very small community, it is a priviledge to provide gear to the Mil and LE shooters, and the recreational shooter. We support each other, and it is considered extremely bad form to operate outside of your lane. If it happens, you will be called on it. In regards to your belief that this product is designed to keep your stock from being scratched, I will suffice it to say you are incorrect by far.

6-This situation has been resolved, and I will not be involved any further in this thread as it has deteriorated to an undesireable degree.

7-If there is ever any question on anything, I can be reached on my cell, 7 days a week.

I'd be interested in reading your patent application.

Since it's a public record, and explains the utility of your invention, I'm sure you'd be happy to share it.

I may not understand it, but I like reading material.

If it truly is "Patent pending," I do find it interesting that's not mentioned on your website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-This situation has been resolved, and I will not be involved any further in this thread as it has deteriorated to an undesireable degree. </div></div>

Um... The Title of the thread till you just Edited it was Worse than ANY Content in it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-This situation has been resolved, and I will not be involved any further in this thread as it has deteriorated to an undesireable degree. </div></div>

Um... The Title of the thread till you just Edited it was Worse than ANY Content in it.... </div></div>

Funny stuff. I smell a rat in this whole thing. It is illegal to claim that a product is "Patent Pending" if it is indeed not, according to the USPTO's website.

And we're all supposed to feel sorry for him that, without any notice, a competitor made and sold a product to his customer that was similar to this guy's product...for which he freely admits that he does not own a patent and will not return to this thread and explain that comment.

So it seems that this issue will resolve itself one way or another.

It seems to me that SOTECH ought to pony up the $$$ and become a vendor here if he expects this forum to be his place to air this. Otherwise, it's all just free advertising. I bet he sold a half dozen of his "skidplates" from this thread alone.

Hell I'd buy one. It looks like an interesting product and it's not too expensive. Too bad the guy running it has to come here talking about how his competitor ripped off his idea for making a product that he doesn't offer in the market.

Oh well. At least Mike's TIS slings are still the best in the business.

This Jones Tactical guy looks like he has some pretty cool stuff, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
~Ace~ said:

Oh well. At least Mike's TIS slings are still the best in the business.

This Jones Tactical guy looks like he has some pretty cool stuff, too. </div></div>

Hey we agree of a few things.

I understand you are making equipment for our troops (bless them) but 3 1/2 months for a back pack is ridiculous. I think Jones is the one that needs to become a vendor.

We had to put all the custom projects on hold due to the fact that we received a large government order. That’s why we had to push your order back. But as of right now I have your order being complete on 9/27.

What happened to an opening listed below of 8/16?

I have your order with a required ship date of 9/27/10, that is the time frame so far. But if we complete your products before that date then we will go ahead and ship them out.

Any progress on this order?

Our standard lead time is 4-6 estimated based on current work load in the custom shop. Orders are prioritized by the date received, currently my production schedule is showing an available slot about August 16th roughly which it will be produced around that time. Again this is only an estimation as there may be priorities by the government, or production may finish at an earlier date and it will be shipped out at that time, but there is no guarantee. Sorry about the delay, please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

When I ordered them, they told me 4-6 weeks. It takes 3 1/2 months to make packs?

The item on your order are a custom item and are made to order, currently I am showing the item scheduled to be completed by roughly 9/27/10. Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if I walk into a stich shop and say, hey can you make me a skid pad like Phils...it would be pretty shitty for them to do it. There is such a thing as intelectual property (legit legal speak) and it does not require a patent. There is also such thing as integrity, some have it, some don't.</div></div>

So as a live "for instance" - I have an IWB holster that I had made for a carry piece. I got it and I love. However, I want it modified - I want a couple holes cut it in and to have them stitched up so the whole holster doesn't come apart. Now - do I send that holster clear across the United States to have the place that built it originally do the work and charge me whatever, or do I go to my local leather guy that I've used in the past for leather work/repair and just get it done and have it back same day and pay whatever he charges for the same job?

The local guy, it's not his holster, and he would be duplicating their work at my request (he would have no knowledge of the fact without doing research on the product). I know the place I bought it from would do the same thing and even sells holsters with the mod that I want done. The differences will be turn around time and the costs involved. To send it back to the original place I bought it would cost me a minimum of several weeks, and the cost to have it done would be triple, if not more - cost to do the work and paying shipping.

From what's being said here, if I am reading this correctly, is that the local guy would have no integrity for doing the work and that neither would I for having him do that? Is that what I'm reading from some of you?

sdkidaho,

Good point. Look at the Milt Sparks line of holsters. He makes a great product and I've been a happy customer of his for years. Others have copied his holster designs, some with some modifications, some without. When I needed a holster recently, as much as I like Milt Sparks, I ordered elsewhere. Why? Same reason mentioned in this thread--I didn't want to wait 6 months for a holster.

Competition is good for everybody. I'm glad we have it. We should have more of it. Even for "skid plates" in different sizes other than those offered by SOTECH.

Re: Jones Tactical?

Hey I don't think you owe anyone apologies .
A lot of emotion on this thread . It's all skilled labor, what enters threw the eyes, shuffles around the brain and done by your hands . & There are a lot of talented skilled labor who can not just sit still . Nothing new. Skilled people see something, build, change, shape and sometimes improve what they choose to work-on .

Every idea on earth that is put out for everyone to see is open to ' Artistic Interpretation ' . & To go where no man has ever gone before. Is a pretty big rarity .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Every idea on earth that is put out for everyone to see is open to ' Artistic Interpretation ' . & To go where no man has ever gone before. Is a pretty big rarity .
. </div></div>

Bingo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retoocs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If ripping off someone else's idea is bad, wouldn't you need to go after every receiver manufacture that copied the Remington 700? </div></div>

You would also have to go after everyone that copied a stock pack, a scope and muzzle protector, and a mag pouch...

I'm going to say this:

In this day and age, there are MANY types of people in this world. As well as, there are MANY types of people on this site.

There are those with Integrity, Honor, Respect, and also Humility.

And there are those without. You put yourself into the applicable category.

It is no wonder why Wally-World is so darn busy. Falls right into that age-old adage of "But MOooommmmmm,,, EVERYbody's doing it, so why can't I??????".

Sdkidaho,

If you purchase a product and want to modify that product, have at it. It is yours. If you don't want to attempt a mod yourself, take it to someone who can.

If you want an item, but don't want to buy it through the company that produces it, is it OK to go to someone else and have them make one just like it?

I have not taken sides or pointed fingers, just pointed out some things.

The situation that created this thread probably lies somewhere in between the above two examples, that's the thing, we don't really know, as we were not involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want an item, but don't want to buy it through the company that produces it, is it OK to go to someone else and have them make one just like it?</div></div>

I'd have to say yes. Any time I buy the plans for something and build it myself instead of buying it from someone else that already makes it, am I now without integrity? Or does that not count because I bought the plans? But, did I buy them from the person who thought of the idea first? Hell, I couldn't answer that without a bunch of research. All of this seems to be a bit too nit-picky to me.

And the guys that keep eluding to the statement that some of us have no integrity? You don't know me. I doubt you know the guys involved in this particular instance. All that any of us saw was a SWAG at what was going on, without knowing the details from either side. Fairly easy to armchair it and make assumptions and accusations when there is no consequence to you when you do so, eh?

I will say this, then I am done.

It's fairly humorous to see the direction that this thread has gone versus one on another site for tactical gear makers. Lets say that some of the "legal opinions" doled out here are totally wrong (as verified by paid legal advice) not to mention the ethical lines that some will cross amaze the hell out of me.

We all have to decide where we stand. I will err on the side of integrity even if it costs me a buck or two.

That's just it, how do you know for fact how anyone in this thread will go? By "for instances" and maybe's? The size of ones wallet or even the amount one is willing to spend out of ones own wallet does not indicate any level of integrity, or at least it is not the sole determining factor of ones integrity.

Back to the original post, the guy that had the work done - I don't see him as being someone without integrity. He bought something he wanted for his kit, he didn't like it, he has a buddy or acquaintance that he's used in the past and threw some work his way to get what he wanted. And now others across the internet are able to question his integrity?

Seems a little unbalanced, doesn't it? No one here knows the guy and despite the discussion here, the two guys who make products for shooters, got together, discussed it and have left it as far as we know, in an amicable fashion. Why is there a need to degrade others that we know <span style="font-style: italic">-nothing-</span> about?

Because there is no consequence for doing so across the net. That's why. <span style="font-style: italic">-That-</span> is something that lends to a guys integrity as much if not more so than the amount of money he's willing to dole out for a product from whoever.

Its alot of gray area.

Lets say a guy gets my sling and wants it shorter but does not want to ship back. He has a local shop make it shorter. Heck I would do that for nothing but he does not want to do the ship back to me thing. I think thats fine. Customer gets what he needs now and local amkes a few bucks. No harm no foul. In this case/thread, thats how I see what Jones did. He did not know the customer could buy larger version so he helped out a guy. Once he found out his mistake he changed what he was doing.

Heck I wont name the nylon manufacture that once copied my Quick Cuff and was attempting to sell as Quick Cuffs before we talked. They stopped as soon as they found out they where coping me, so no harm no foul.

In another case some numb nutts actually attempted to pass off as if TIS made his crappy copy of my slings. That was handled differently as that had harm and he was foul.

I also would not sell modified competitors slings. Thats just me and everyone answers this for themself. Me I sell things I designed or things I pay the guy who designed them. Thats probably what makes me a bad business man, but I like it that way better.

I would hope at this stage folks dont think badly of Jones. The guy explained well. Well well enough for me. I say give him some business on some of the things he makes. We need more gear manufactures in USA

Guys,

Thanks again. Here is an email through Neil at SOTECH.

Richard,

Hey I am adding my two cents here to hopefully clarify some things. What the issue here is that many of our products spend months if not years in design and development. For instance I designed the new BLoCS Gen III plate carrier and it's been almost 2 years and I'm still making new stuff for it. We, S.OTECH that is, like to quickly get these new products out there to help the warfighter. Our main goal, and I think yours also, is that our brothers and sisters get an unfair advantage and come home!! That being said lots of our stuff gets hacked and sometimes we get a bit jumpy. Keep making great gear and heck if you ever get a large order in that you need help with contact Phil or myself and we can manufacture for you. Again we just want to make the best gear possible and we are open to work with anyone to do it.

If I can do anything else call or email.

714-xxx-xxxx
[email protected]

V/R
Neil Trusso
Specialty Projects

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jones Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phil,

Thanks for throwing this up here before you contacted me personally. As I said in the email I sent you, this was a one off custom piece I made for a customer who wanted the pad larger. I had no idea you made a bigger one, didn't even know you made them at all, cause it's not my line of gear. I apologize for the trouble it has caused you.

Lonewolf: Re: DIY Tactical: That was sorted out with the other party.

Mike/TIS: I don't know of an Eagle V Neck Sling, I do know of a BFG V Neck Sling that came out after mine, but there's nothing I can do about it. You can't get a patent for weaving webbing through Molle channels. </div></div>

I know Mr. Jones from when we moderated ESSTAC's site and can personally vouch that he is a stand up guy. I can also verify that he designed his own V Sling several years ago, and I still have one in my gear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say this, then I am done.

It's fairly humorous to see the direction that this thread has gone versus one on another site for tactical gear makers. Lets say that some of the "legal opinions" doled out here are totally wrong (as verified by paid legal advice) not to mention the ethical lines that some will cross amaze the hell out of me.

We all have to decide where we stand. I will err on the side of integrity even if it costs me a buck or two. </div></div>

As long as "integrity" means "monopoly profit" for those people you support. Well, maybe not all the people you support. Only if they make, "tactical" gear...whatever that means. I think it's called "tactical" nowadays if you paint it black (or maybe I'm behind the times, maybe it has to be FDE/tan to be "tactical" now).

If you don't want people to "copy" your work, then don't put it out for the public to see unless you have a patent. It's a simple rule.