• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Just a little weekend project....

1520803195387.png

Axle bands. For two carriages, had to make four of these. These are 3/8" strap that was v-grooved and heated to cherry red then bent to 90 degrees. The top piece will later be welded in to make the bands an exact (and very tight) fit between the cheeks and axles. 12 separate parts to make the four bands!

Also had to make two of these:

1520803337671.png

These go between the trail and the axle. Same principle as the other axle bands, except this has a T-piece that has to be welded on. Again, all will be tacked and final welded to ensure the axle is tight on the cheeks!

1520803432870.png

This is one of the carriages with its machined rondelles in place. Turned bolt heads in place. Irons ready to be fitted/welded. And the rear rondelles fitted with their recoil lugs. A lot of machining and blacksmithing this weekend.

Later, I am going to try and see if I can find some more pictures of old plants and old manufacturing. Amazingly, there is not a lot out that I've initially found. I did find that Watervliet Arsenal Museum is undergoing a major refurbishment and is likely to re-open to the public. That's good news! Lots of history there.

More later,

Cheers,

Sirhr

Not yet, Packratt... I've only threaded a few.

But I also cheat.... because they didn't have Red Loctite back in 1860.... I get it from the same place as I got my DRO!

However, yes, all the nuts will have rounded corners and some face work on the visible parts!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I grew up watching the Woodwrights Shop on PBS. Loved Roy Underhill's stuff. I even wrote him a letter asking how gunstocks were made when I was about 15... and they did a show from Colonial Williamsburg the next season! Showing the gun-stocking workshop.

Reactions: buffalowinter
Fascinating to say the least!

Thank you for taking time during your work process to take pictures and post them.

Do you ever need a shop bitch? Someone to sweep the floor, fetch coffee etc. ?

I work full time but would love to visit your machine shop just to see this history being saved in person!

Interesting, I would have thought there would be a plethora of images.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Rthur
1523749485561.png

Got the cheeks for one carriage finished... the trail is being milled this weekend for both carriages! Woo hoo!

This bit doesn't look like a lot of work, but getting the angled hole drilled... and the four cross bolts for each cheek done for one carriage (two cheeks) was a full, non-stop 8 hour day. Note the hand-made nuts at the bottom and the wedge. Also that the trunnion irons are now locked together and matched in pairs.

Here is the second cheek... ready for cross-drilling, milling and through-bolts tomorrow. With luck, since I have all my set-ups and techniques down... I can get this whole one done (including milling the bottoms) in one day. Lots of chisel work here, too.

1523749661857.png

More pictures tomorrow, I hope.

Cheers,

Sirhr

38540489_1508881462591829_3150341701114003456_o.jpg

Just needs one more coat of paint. This is cannon number 3, which ended up being finished first. Go figger... 2.25" Tredegar Mountain Rifle.

This weekend, I also made all the accoutrements, which I will post separately tomorrow. Almost ready for the weekend and its first event!

Cheers,

Sirhr.

P.S. 'MERIKA!!!!

Wrapping up farm work before a motorcycle trip.... But decided to take the day off for a 'real' little weekend project.

Restored a Strong yachting/salute cannon. Was missing its firing mechanism. The extractor was broken. And the firing pin was bent like a banana. Made all new parts. Restored completely and gave a 'gentle' polish to keep up some of the original patina.

Lovely piece from c. 1880's. Identical to the one on the opening of Magnum P.I. but smaller. From the Strong/Snow company of Ct.

Ready for another 140 years of BANG!!!

41863288_1548384291974879_8760075035621720064_n.jpg

42044842_1548386575307984_4587918352311123968_o.jpg

Fixing things is fun...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Wrapping up farm work before a motorcycle trip.... But decided to take the day off for a 'real' little weekend project.

Restored a Strong yachting/salute cannon. Was missing its firing mechanism. The extractor was broken. And the firing pin was bent like a banana. Made all new parts. Restored completely and gave a 'gentle' polish to keep up some of the original patina.

Lovely piece from c. 1880's. Identical to the one on the opening of Magnum P.I. but smaller. From the Strong/Snow company of Ct.

Fixing things is fun...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Gorgeous.....!!!.....(y)(y)(y)

Fixing things is fun...

Cheers,

Sirhr
I just sold one of these last year on eBay. Mine was 10 gauge. They are a thing of beauty .

Attachments

• C57796F9-DF42-4819-8DDF-DC77DCE4DD59.jpeg
    C57796F9-DF42-4819-8DDF-DC77DCE4DD59.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
So for some reason didn't sleep for $#!+ last night... and ended up getting up and going to the shop at 4am... and spending the next 11 hours getting a ton done....

1541365468607.png

Fitted the axles, cheeks and trail together for the first time on both carriages. This is critical as it includes aligning the trunnion irons so that the barrel will drop in. Both carriages... my woodwork was so close that they required zero adjustment... One of the benefits of making these things on a milling machine... rather than with a chisel. I was a bit amazed... having not touched either of these carriages since spring. But both went together remarkably easily. Once fitted and clamped, the cross bolt holes were drilled through the trail.

1541365645785.png

Same carriage... other side. Next weekend, I'll fit the wheels, one remaining Lunette and start drilling the trail for all the little gee-gaws that go on it. But by the end of next weekend (if it's raining... still got one more weekend of farm work to do before winter..) the wheels should be on with their retainers. Then everything comes apart one more time for welding straps, painting, etc.

1541365778952.png

I still have some fettling/finishing to do on some of the iron pieces. Here is part of today's work getting the second elevation screw adjustor machined and ready to fit. The other one was done some months ago.

1541365866360.png

The elevation adjustors (no, I did not turn the Acme thread...bought it!) And the Linstock holders. Some of the irons. I still need to cut some holes and weld them together.

1541365986188.png

Two carriages awaiting final Trail components to be fitted and wheel fitting. Part of that may be next weekend. Certainly the weekend after. Then comes deer season.... but I expect to have both of these finished over Christmas. I think that I may welcome Santa with a barrage!

Here's roughly what the Mountain Howitzer will look like when done.... It's getting close!

1541366424323.png

Cheers,

Sirhr

So member @tea&jam posted this over in Motivational Thread and it's a remarkable video... that deserves to be here, too.

Look at the recoiling forces on the cannon. Incredible!

The thing to keep in mind is that the Civil War wood carriage was the ultimate evolution of the 'field carriage' before they went to riveted steel, hydraulics, breech loading, etc. By the time these carriages were in the field, the best/brightest engineers for 500 years... had been working on the development.

A remarkable video. Remarkable footage of the flexing and energy-absorption of the carriages. Just amazing.

Again, Kudos to tea&jam. Well done! Great find.

Cheers,

Sirhr

So member @tea&jam posted this over in Motivational Thread and it's a remarkable video... that deserves to be here, too.

Look at the recoiling forces on the cannon. Incredible!

The thing to keep in mind is that the Civil War wood carriage was the ultimate evolution of the 'field carriage' before they went to riveted steel, hydraulics, breech loading, etc. By the time these carriages were in the field, the best/brightest engineers for 500 years... had been working on the development.

A remarkable video. Remarkable footage of the flexing and energy-absorption of the carriages. Just amazing.

Again, Kudos to tea&jam. Well done! Great find.

Cheers,

Sirhr

That puts a rise in my pendulum hausse.....

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
From here, I can technically shell Ben and Jerry's....

Cheers,

Sirhr

I can bring my shit and be your FO!

I saw this documentary about mountain guns but they were WW2 4 and 8 mule guns... They're so slick and look very, very simple. Based on where they were used and how, I doubt many are left.

Awesome work, as usual.

I can bring my shit and be your FO!

I saw this documentary about mountain guns but they were WW2 4 and 8 mule guns... They're so slick and look very, very simple. Based on where they were used and how, I doubt many are left.

Awesome work, as usual.
Sir you are truly a skilled artisan! I found something for sale on EBay I know you will remember. And it’s for sale. It may be one of a kind. https://www.ebay.com/itm/magnum-pi-...461322?hash=item2aa4f9cf0a:g:AsgAAOSwiIxaBhlr

Sir you are truly a skilled artisan! I found something for sale on EBay I know you will remember. And it’s for sale. It may be one of a kind. https://www.ebay.com/itm/magnum-pi-...461322?hash=item2aa4f9cf0a:g:AsgAAOSwiIxaBhlr

That thing has floated around for years... Pawn Stars offered something like $4500 for it on an episode... It's bounced here and there with a stupid escalating price.

I have a Strong... it's very nice. Paid under $2k for it. But it's a 10 ga. The big ones... go for $15k or so. At most. This guy is not only dreaming, he is insulting the cannon-buying public.

But, maybe there is a sucker out there. The beauty of capitalism!

Cheers,

Sirhr

After two years of off-and-on work... the first of two carriages got assembled this weekend. This one is for the Napoleon. Next weekend, I'll get the Mountain Howitzer carriage together!

Still some small parts to make, but they are all 'added'... some of the chained-on trunnion keepers, etc. The core is done and ready for paint. Next weekend 2!

After this, two Field Carriages... these are just little First Model Prairie carriages... babies!

1549833121906.png

Trail for the Mountain Howitzer... but it is the same as the one for the Napoleon. Box of parts is what I started with this morning for the Napoleon. Had to do some final mill work... a few holes drilled. Some last grinding, etc. I can still taste metal filings. Fillings hurt.

1549833174911.png

Bare axle, ready to accept the trail and cheeks. Everything is milled out to within about 1/32nd of an inch in order to be a tight fit side to side. The 'notches' are a slip fit. Can't get a piece of paper between the joints. No, not metalworking. But to metalworking tolerances! The metalworking was making all the metal components!

1549833384126.png

The complexity of the bracing... all these are long bolts with round heads, and big square nuts, each individually cut from 1" square stock, drilled, threaded and Chamfered. Some of these holes for the long bolts are drilled at angles... 14" long! And have to be dead straight through the cheeks! This is a close-up of the underside.

1549833339984.png

Longer shot of all the irons and the big nuts, etc. and the axle(s). Since you can see the second axle in the background along with the Mountain Howitzer barrel!

1549833560909.png

Just need to make some small parts (wedges, trail handle, etc) which are add on parts... and paint... and this one is ready for its barrel. Next weekend, I'll have the second one in the same stage. Then it will be just some small machine shop bits!

Cheers,

Sirhr

So both carriages are assembled and trunnions aligned. Awaiting a nice day or two when I can get outside to sand, radius prime and paint.

So making some of the tools and accessories.
Needed a couple of pendulum hause sights. But originals are unobtanium and belong in museums and the repros are not all that nice for the $$$, I decided to do my own.

Went to eBay and bought some old brass protractors. With a little creativity and some stamping... very creditable pair of pendulum hause sights.

Both discreetly marked ‘fake’ with an electric pencil to stop charlatans in the future from selling as real.

F5767B25-D253-4F85-B842-E2E959CE18FC.jpeg
3E8096E6-2D3B-46A4-B8AE-9F84E3884F73.jpeg

Unit markings are from ‘real’ units. Cheers, Sirhr