• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

just bought woodsmaster 742 .30-06

texasrebel01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2009
south texas, USA
ok, newbie here, been looking at alot of yalls posts about stuff, and one of them that i looked at, after the fact, kinda makes me feel stupid now. no offense to anybody, but myself. saturday i was heading back home, i live in the country. well i see a sign made out of a 4'x4' sheet of plywood with YARD SALE painted in bright orange. so i figure, wth, i will see whats there. my gf has got me into stopping at these things now, beings the stuff she finds, that i actually like too. so i pull into the driveway, drive through the brush, and find the house. a guy has some stuff on a couple tables. i look at some of it, asked him if this is all he has, then he shows me an old ducati parked in the garage for sale, then he asked me if i was interested in any guns. i said "whatcha got?" he goes in his trailer and brings out a remington woodsmaster model 742 .30-06. he told me it needs a lil bit of work, and that he was going through and replacing parts. i looked at it, a lil dirty, but overall looked decent. he told me $150. i figure, why not. i never shot or owned one of these, and figured for the price, i could get it up and going with lil money. well i get it home, and was just looking at it a lil while ago, and seeing that it was definitely used quite a bit. so i looked it up on here, and i see some guys saying that once they are wore out some, they are no good anymore. can anybody fill me in on whether i just wasted $150 or not? give me some insight on this please

Re: just bought woodsmaster 742 .30-06

I bought one a few years back from an old timer I knew, never shot it though. I have heard though that they must stay very clean to cycle properly.(Some people have called them jam-o-matics)FWIW....RR

If it's in serviceable condition, why not take it to the range and see how it shoots.

If you're not sure wether it is safe to shoot or not, have a qualified gunsmith inspect it first.

I have one that's in minty shape in '06 and in fact it's not a bad shooter.Is it a tactical/target rifle? No, but it's a fine hunting piece that won't make you cry if it falls out of the back of your truck...

Notorious for breaking extractors. Several after-market high cap (10 round) mags made for it at one time - Eagle I think was the brand. Clean it thoroughly and see if it will shoot. If so, if it doesn't already have a Bushnell 3-9 Sportview in See Through high-ass scope mounts, get one and mount it so. Now you have the ultimate redneck jacklighter bait. You ought to get $300 for it at a pawn shop, which would double your investment. Spend the $300 on ammo or save towards a good bolt action.

Remington has labored a bit over the years with the Woodsmonster Jam-o-matic in an effort to turn it into a more reliable hunting semi. They appear to have succeeded in their lastest iteration, the Model 750. <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests</span> magazine compared it to several similar models and recommended it. I wouldn't mind having one.

Greg

Sell it. The 7400 was an improved model of the 742 and it still
leaves quite a bit to be desired. The 742 was also known to shear off the bolt locking lugs which normally has to be fixed at the factory, costing more than the gun is worth. My dad has had both models. The 7400 leaves the 9 or more small lugs in favor of 2-3 large lugs IIRC. His last 7400 was in 280 Rem and while a good short range gun still shot 2-3 inches with factory
ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it doesn't already have a Bushnell 3-9 Sportview in See Through high-ass scope mounts, get one and mount it so. Now you have the ultimate redneck jacklighter bait. </div></div>

Don't forget the padded leather sling with imprinted deer scene. The see-thru rings are so you can see the iron sights for the close up shots when you jump one on the way to your stand.
smile.gif

Classic Bubba rifle.

I have the deluxe woodsmaster 742 30-06 with the basket weave forearm/grip and Monti Carlo raised cheek. My dad got it for Grampa in 64. It only had one box of ammo put through it.
It shoots fine and runs well.

Used ones are hit or miss usually miss. Look for rust in the chamber. Clean it well. Shoot it and if it ejects and feeds the next round you might have a winner.

Clean the rifle real good. Especially take a chamber brush and really clean the chamber area good. Look at the rails in the receiver, if your not familiar what to look for have a gunsmith chk them. Chk the clip so it doesn't "sag", this will cause jams. Mount a 4x Leupold in good bases and rings and you'l have a good deer rifle. I own my Dad's Rem 740, and 7400. I have killed a trkload of deer with my 742 and later a 7400 Carbine. It ain't no benchrest rifle, there deer rifles.
Load them up with 180gr roundnose SP's and keep um wet with Remoil and you've got a fine deer rifle. Some of you boys need to hunt deer with a pack of dogs, running through a clearcut and start trying to adj your parallex on your scopes.
There a BR rifles, tactical rifles and deer rifles and the Remington 742 properly maintained is an exceptional deer rifle..krw