• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Just wanted to share some zero targets I designed

thecolter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2010
Lafayette, IN
www.facebook.com
I wanted to share some targets I created to assist in zeroing an Aimpoint optic. I was always unsatisfied with using other targets to zero my Aimpoints as I felt as if I was guessing whether or not to dot was correctly centered over the target. I created these to address my concerns and they have worked quite well and definitely speed up the zeroing process. I also have shot tighter groups using these targets.

The targets are ‘calibrated’ for use at 50 yards to obtain the 50y/200m improved zero. This is also a plus as Aimpoint optics are completely parallax free at 50 yards and greater.

The target consists of:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1 MOA center ‘zero’ dot[*]2 or 4 MOA colored dot in either <span style="color: #FF0000">red</span> or <span style="color: #33CC00">green</span> that will correspond to the size of the optic’s dot[*]Larger black ring to assist in centering the optic’s dot over the center of the target.[*]Grid lines with click adjustment references and adjustment dial references[/list]
I originally made these with a green dot to contrast against the red of the optic without similar colors 'bleeding' together. This worked well for me, but I had some friends who preferred a red dot on the target. Both are included, so use the one that works bet for your eyes.

When the target is correctly placed at 50 yards, the optics dot will completely cover the colored portion of the corresponding target. The black ring will assist in correctly centering the optic over the target for a near perfect hold (depending on if you do your part). Just shoot your groups and use the adjustment references to quickly move your point of impact.

UPDATE: I’ve updated the targets from what I originally posted with a more bold black ring at the request of some self-proclaimed old farts that had an issue clearly making it out.

Examples:
5524146257_eb935d8674_b.jpg

5524739080_89f929c602_b.jpg

5524146235_823e481cd8_b.jpg

5524738930_c3f4234ab4_b.jpg

Download the targets in .pdf format HERE

Just make sure your printer is set for 100% scaling and you should be good to go.

I hope this can be useful to others.

UPDATE (13 MAR 11): New 25 yard targets

I worked up some 25 yard targets that should give you a 50/200 yard zero when used properly when you only have access to a smaller range. These were made to work with standard AR sight height (2.6" over the bore) using 55 / 62g bullet trajectories, but should get you there for those using heavier grain bullets. I haven't used them yet, but if someone is willing to be a guinea pig and try them out and give me some feedback.

Basically, place the target at 25 yards. Your point of aim should be at the colored / bold outlined portion of the target. Fire your group. Adjust the point of impact to the GRAY DOT in the middle of the target. If you follow the adjustment grid it will get you there. The math works out to give you a 50/200 yard zero.

Be careful to keep the optic dot centered within the optic itself as much as possible when zeroing at this range as it is not entirely parallax free at 25 yards.

25 Yard Target Examples:
5524751814_d70ee084e4_b.jpg

5524159407_7d6560bd10_b.jpg

The 25 yard target can be downloaded HERE

Re: Just wanted to share some zero targets I designed

I'm just curious are the lines MOA (1.047") or inch (1.000")?

Nice target regardless. Of course it's not really going to matter at 50 yards, but I was still curious.

the lines are just 1.000". It works fine for the range and type of optic (1x red dot).

The 4 MOA targets could be used at 100 yards, but it would be hard seeing the target without magnification and each grid line would be one click.

Hey man, Im over in afghanistan right now and was looking for a simple way to get a 50yd zero on my m68 with only having access to the 25m zero range. I was messing around, trying to figure it out on JBM calc and stumbled onto your targets. They are F'ing sweet and saved me a ton of time.

THANK YOU

CW2 Charles Montgomery
B 5-101 Assault