• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kentucky 2200yd range - Park Mammoth

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
For any shooters in or around Kentucky, I stopped by and checked out the RockCastle shooting center today. There's been wild rumors flying around about 2500yds or more, and I had to see what the deal was. They didn't have any targets out today so I didn't shoot, but maybe tomorrow. I did get to talk to Nick, the guy who runs the rifle long range portions of the site about what they had going on and planned for the near future.

The facility as of right now is "open" by appointment, but still under construction and is a primitive place to shoot. I gave myself a tour of their "1000yd" range, and what I saw was basically an unimproved field, pretty flat out to about 1200yds with a timbered hillside behind it. Nick said they have plans to make a dirt mound to spot misses on, but as of right now they have 4x8 sheets and 10" gongs to shoot at. Its all prone from a mat or poncho if you go right now, no benches. There's a gravel road to the end of the range for setting up or checking targets in your car.

I didn't get to see what they called "Sniper Hill", but Nick said that it was possible to get 2200-2500yds off one side of the hill, with big elevation drops and angle work to 300, 500, and 800 off the other side.

Overall a pretty cool place to shoot, I look forward to putting some lead down range.

It's in Park City, Kentucky, about 20 minutes from Mammoth cave. Not too far from Nashville or Louisville, even Cincinnati might be worth it if you want to shoot long range for a weekend.

Their website doesn't say much about long range shooting, but its http://www.parkmammothresort.us/

If you want to shoot there call the lodge to set up an appointment, or PM me and I'll give you the long range guys' numbers. They like to vet new shooters with either Nick or his brother to make sure they're competent and safe. The lady at the desk doesn't know what she's talking about, but if you get an appointment with one of the long range guys they will set you up.

The lady quoted me the cost of $10/hr for range use, but I didn't pay anything today so I'm not really sure how that works yet.

Re: Kentucky 2200yd range - Park Mammoth

Here's the 1000yd "range" facility. You can see the gravel road off to the side that goes back to where the targets would be. No targets out in this picture, I was on the self-guided tour with GPS coords and country-mile directions.

My rangefinder is only good to about 440 yds, so the ranges are best-guesses from walking around and ranging multiple things from different places and adding up the range. May be time to invest in a 1500yd capable range finder.

rockcastle.jpg

interesting...might have to check it out next time I am up that way. Mammoth cave is only about an hour from my property and I can shoot out to about 1200 so for the added distance I would take the drive.

There is no range I can find down my way that is past 200 yards, I could very well make the drive up there for some long range action.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no range I can find down my way that is past 200 yards, I could very well make the drive up there for some long range action.

Kelly </div></div>

Knob Creek is 325yd. range. The other range isn't very far from KC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The lady at the desk doesn't know what she's talking about, but if you get an appointment with one of the long range guys they will set you up.

The lady quoted me the cost of $10/hr for range use, but I didn't pay anything today so I'm not really sure how that works yet. </div></div>

This must be the person I emailed:

<<< Currently the only shooting facilities that we have open are the sporting clays course and a 5-stand. We are anticipating the opening of our pistol and rifle ranges to be in approximately 2 weeks. Our sporting clays course is open weekdays by appointment and weekends from 9am to 6pm, same for the 5-stand. When the pistol and rifle ranges are open it
will be 10.00 per hour.
Thank you,
Amy Wells Director of Customer Service >>>

I have small car that the wife got, can I get back there? Wife would kill me if I damaged her car.

Bring your own targets? If so, will have to get more, left mine back home in AK for my boys to use.

I am interested in this range. If any one would like to meet and greet and actuate a trigger there, PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The lady at the desk doesn't know what she's talking about, but if you get an appointment with one of the long range guys they will set you up.

The lady quoted me the cost of $10/hr for range use, but I didn't pay anything today so I'm not really sure how that works yet. </div></div>

This must be the person I emailed:

<<< Currently the only shooting facilities that we have open are the sporting clays course and a 5-stand. We are anticipating the opening of our pistol and rifle ranges to be in approximately 2 weeks. Our sporting clays course is open weekdays by appointment and weekends from 9am to 6pm, same for the 5-stand. When the pistol and rifle ranges are open it
will be 10.00 per hour.
Thank you,
Amy Wells Director of Customer Service >>>

I have small car that the wife got, can I get back there? Wife would kill me if I damaged her car.

Bring your own targets? If so, will have to get more, left mine back home in AK for my boys to use.

I am interested in this range. If any one would like to meet and greet and actuate a trigger there, PM me. </div></div>

I drove back there in a ford fusion, and it was no trouble. See the "parking lot" picture, thats a decent gravel road and its only about 300 yds from the blacktop road. Shouldn't be any trouble for a normal car to get to, and a truck or 4wd could drive all the way up to the shooting area.

They have 4x8 sheets of plywood backing a 10" steel reactive target, so you can spot misses on the plywood and if you get a hit then the reactive target is pretty easy to see. You could probably bring your own targets but I'd talk to the guys who run the place about it first.

From talking to Nick, it sounds like they are working on making a dirt mound to put behind the steels so you can call your misses easier. In my opinion a 10" steel at 1000 yds is a bit small, I'd prefer to see a 12x18 or 18x24 steel as well, with the 10" for once you get the wind call right.

I think I'm gonna take a drive up there this week, before school starts, and check the joint out. If anybody is gonna be up there, let me know so I can meet a fellow Hide member!!

I'll head that way if a group wants to get together. I have another long range shooter that is wanting to go. I think a Sunday trip would be perfect!

Oh crap, I didn't even think to ask about this when I was down at the PanAm....

I had originally heard rumors about taking over some of the NRA stuff from Knox, and trying to get some serious LR stuff going when I first heard about the facility being built.

It's a solid 2 hours from me (south NKY), but I'm down that way a bit and would make the drive for some matches no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are ya at bugshooter? </div></div>

White House about 12 south of the border

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are ya at bugshooter? </div></div>

White House about 12 south of the border</div></div>

Cool, I'm in Franklin, not too far from ya.

I am 20 minutes from there and drive by all the time. I was going to take a tour with one of our politicians but it fell through. I would like to shoot there as well if there is a day scheduled. I don't know if my benchrest nightforce will get to 2200 on my 300 weatherby.

Add my name to the list, I am out of Louisville.

Glad to see I will not have to keep driving 3-5 hours to get in some practice or shoot in a match.

If anyone makes it down, or gets an update on things, please let us know.

Thanks,
M Richardson

I65 25 miles north of bowling green?

Would someone please give directions?

Wife wants to go on a road trip and I suggested the area and would like to accidentally on purpose find a shooting range.

Coming from NORTH 65 you exit at the Park city exit onto hwy31. You will go south on 31 about 2-5 miles. Range on right. Very easy from 65. Mamoth Cave is very cool as well. You might catch a little bit of it also.

I have a lot of steel thats portable but need to clarify with those guys to see if we can use it. Would also be willing to bring my ATV out to run targets. The more interest they have out there, the more inclined they will be to follow thru with the construction of the area. I am excited to have such a facility available to us now.

Let's get them some business. Im down to go!

Hell I'm still learning rifle basics and don't shoot long range, but I wouldn't mind heading down there to see how it's done with you guys! Sounds like a helluva fun day to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coming from NORTH 65 you exit at the Park city exit onto hwy31. You will go south on 31 about 2-5 miles. Range on right. Very easy from 65. Mamoth Cave is very cool as well. You might catch a little bit of it also. </div></div>

Tag for later

I'm pretty tied up this month but Sept on I could work it in. Lets work on some dates that people could go, bring portable grill with steaks/burgers/salads,beans for farting, 4 wheeler for running targets, portable awnings to get out of the sun and shoot, lots of ice water, portable steel targets/dingers.
Check with owners/managers to see if we could do such a thing with all of our stuff and voila! A fun shoot.
...............SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty tied up this month but Sept on I could work it in. Lets work on some dates that people could go, bring portable grill with steaks/burgers/salads,beans for farting, 4 wheeler for running targets, portable awnings to get out of the sun and shoot, lots of ice water, portable steel targets/dingers.
Check with owners/managers to see if we could do such a thing with all of our stuff and voila! A fun shoot.
...............SmokeRolls</div></div>

+1 I'm going back to school after a bunch of years lol, first day is August 16th. I don't have a really busy schedule, but hopefully I can make it up there to hang with you guys.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty tied up this month but Sept on I could work it in. Lets work on some dates that people could go, bring portable grill with steaks/burgers/salads,beans for farting, 4 wheeler for running targets, portable awnings to get out of the sun and shoot, lots of ice water, portable steel targets/dingers.
...............SmokeRolls </div></div>

I'm in Louisville, count me in.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds easy to find.

Anybody free on Thursdays?

or Fridays...besides me!

</div></div>

Im free almost anyday up until october. But I shoot with a buddy, we just know how to spot for each other. he is only free on thursdays and sundays. We will work something out. Keep an eye on the weather as well!

hey guys im new to shooting and still learning, would love to come participate/bring whatever. is this an open invitation event or do i need to "know" somebody?
i am outside nashville. about an hour and twenty minutes away!

fellas, I have about a month until I finish my time up in the army. I am stationed at Fort Knox, but out 24SEPT.

Anyway, I plan to head out and check this range out next weekend. Post up if you do too, we should meet up and have a shoot sesh.

Long time lurker, had to join to post on this. Have been driving down to Clarksville/Ft. Campbell to shoot at the Montgomery Co Shooting Complex 400 yrd range. I have been hearing about this new range near Bowling Green and have not been able to find any locals with info. I'm like 20 minutes from this new range. I'm good out to 400 yards with my M1A Supermatch and have been dying to step out a lil longer. Let me know if anybody needs to know local info. I think I need to take a lil trip this week out there:)

Went out there today. Lady at the front desk got herself together today. Had all sorts of info. Tel # to Park Mammoth Resort is 270-749-2524 if you want room rates and such. Rockcastle Shooting Center Tel # is 270-749-4101. www.parkmammouthresort.us According to the lady, the long range is open by appointment. She states they already have a few groups showing up on the weekends. $10 an hour or $100 for an individual yearly membership. From what she said, it looks like the shotgun ranges are getting most of the action from us locals but they are ready and willing to get people out on the rifle ranges. She stated Nick Noble (CEO of RSC) was on site if I wished to speak with him. I had my gf with me ( she shoots blackpowder )and didn't want to drag him away from real work. She did give me his card with the same telephone # as above. I really didn't want to set an appointment to shoot since it will probably only be me at this time, but if you guys want to make a group thing soon, I'm all for setting it up. BTW, I have an ATV for running targets if needed. If I don't hear any interest from any other locals on here, I may just wander out there sometime next week to try it out by myself. Ohh, I only put the phone numbers here because they were all over the info she handed me. I guess I really had no new news from what dareposte put on here, but it has been confirmed now. I'm just glad to have some place local to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiredWings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went out there today. Lady at the front desk got herself together today. Had all sorts of info. Tel # to Park Mammoth Resort is 270-749-2524 if you want room rates and such. Rockcastle Shooting Center Tel # is 270-749-4101. www.parkmammouthresort.us According to the lady, the long range is open by appointment. She states they already have a few groups showing up on the weekends. $10 an hour or $100 for an individual yearly membership. From what she said, it looks like the shotgun ranges are getting most of the action from us locals but they are ready and willing to get people out on the rifle ranges. She stated Nick Noble (CEO of RSC) was on site if I wished to speak with him. I had my gf with me ( she shoots blackpowder )and didn't want to drag him away from real work. She did give me his card with the same telephone # as above. I really didn't want to set an appointment to shoot since it will probably only be me at this time, but if you guys want to make a group thing soon, I'm all for setting it up. BTW, I have an ATV for running targets if needed. If I don't hear any interest from any other locals on here, I may just wander out there sometime next week to try it out by myself. Ohh, I only put the phone numbers here because they were all over the info she handed me. I guess I really had no new news from what dareposte put on here, but it has been confirmed now. I'm just glad to have some place local to shoot. </div></div>

Thanks for the update, sounds like some good news.

I am going to head down there this Sat, not sure if I will actually get to shoot, or just check everything out.

I am going to call ahead and see what I can find out.

Assuming things work out, I will hopefully be down there at least 2 weekends out of the month if not more.

I have emailed Nick about the plans for setting up the range, but have not gotten a response yet, hopefully I can find something out soon.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing the info, hopefully we may finally get a 1,000 yard range in KY!
M Richardson

A Sunday would be a good start if you want to draw the most individuals.

I'm curious if they would discount their rates if we produce a large enough group, say 10 to 15 individuals. Spend a full day out there and you might as well purchase a year membership. I wonder if it is a calender year membership or 1 year from the date of initial purchase?

I am good for saturday or sunday, whichever. Most likely will just go saturday, excited to get out on some good range again.

Going to call them today to let them know I will be heading out this weekend.

ok well I made some phone calls and got hooked up with the owner, Nick Noble. He said they are booked and busy this weekend for prior obligations. The range is not complete(no pads, benches etc. Stated earlier) but he is trying to get itup and running soon. He is aware of this thread and I assume will monitor it. So show him support in order to give him an idea of what sized crowd to expect and prep for.

The more support and business we give them the more they will put into the range, quality wise. WE NEED THIS RANGE GUYS! Nearest LR area is a 5 hr drive to Ohio

OK, guess I will not be going down on this Sat.

I have sent an email offering to help in whatever way I can with the range, but I have not gotten any replies yet.

I am willing to provide targets, set out targets, serve as RSO, whatever it takes to get things running.

I am driving on average 3-5 hours to shoot competitions and get in long range practice, so I am more than ready and willing to do whatever it takes!

Thanks,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, guess I will not be going down on this Sat.

I have sent an email offering to help in whatever way I can with the range, but I have not gotten any replies yet.

I am willing to provide targets, set out targets, serve as RSO, whatever it takes to get things running.

I am driving on average 3-5 hours to shoot competitions and get in long range practice, so I am more than ready and willing to do whatever it takes!

Thanks,
M Richardson </div></div>

You should probably let them get the range construction going and THEN offer your assistance. Don't overwhelm them all at once. We show them support and maybe it gets done a little faster. Right now they only have a couple targets out there. I have a whole garage full of portable reactive steel targets.

I plan on making the drive for a stop by next Thursday, 26 Aug. Will call before I leave to gather INTEL.

I would pay $100 year and make the drive once a month, maybe more. In my opinion, I hope it does not get too developed outside of targets and maybe access road. Currently I would not have an issue to ruck my own targets but age is setting in. I am not into shooting off concrete pads and especially not a bench so lets hope they keep some dirt legal for prone shooters. No covered pads and especially tubes to shoot through.

KY and area hiders should set a date for a shoot or even reserve the first Sunday of the month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on making the drive for a stop by next Thursday, 26 Aug. Will call before I leave to gather INTEL.

I would pay $100 year and make the drive once a month, maybe more. In my opinion, I hope it does not get too developed outside of targets and maybe access road. Currently I would not have an issue to ruck my own targets but age is setting in. I am not into shooting off concrete pads and especially not a bench so lets hope they keep some dirt legal for prone shooters. No covered pads and especially tubes to shoot through.

<span style="color: #FF0000">KY and area hiders should set a date for a shoot or even reserve the first Sunday of the month.</span> </div></div>

I like that idea. First Sunday of every month that there is decent weather KY Hide members should get together and pull some triggers. I will call down there and ask what the policy is on bringing our own steel targets, ATV/UTV use to run the targets to and from, and how many people max can fit on the line.