• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kestrel 4500nv Applied Ballistics?

Can you elaborate why I need the tablet with me along with the kestrel. I'm not following sorry.

You don't "Need" a tablet. The kestrel works as a stand alone system just fine. You also don't need a pc. Just to clarify. Kestrel however does have PC Software for the applied ballistic model that allows you to build and load weapon profiles. Inside the kestrel you have weapon profiles. You select the profile you are using it it loads in your data. You can build these profiles in different ways. One way is to do it on PC with the Applied Ballistics Profile Loader. http://www.r-p-r.co.uk/downloads/kestrel/Applied_Ballistics_Profile_Loader_Instructions.pdf then transfer it via Bluetooth. The other way is build them by hand inside of the kestrel. Look here starting on page 10 http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0084/9012/t/1/assets/Applied_Ballistics_Instrucstions.pdf The third way is through the tablet, where you build the profiles for the weapon and the ammo on the tablet. No matter which way you choose to do it, you must build a weapon and ammo profile, their are preconfigured profiles in the kestrel but you will still need to go through them and double check all the information on each one.

I didn't mean to be confusing you don't need the tablet at all. However. A tablet makes your life a lot easier. If your building them with just the kestrel and no pc, you have to do it by hand slowly. You can do it with a pc or laptop, but I highly recommend the Bluetooth model for this as it makes it much easier. If you do it with a tablet you do everything inside of the tablet (just to be clear its just as good on the phone as a tablet, im using a tablet as a generalization for android). Hopefully this doesn't confuse you any worse for wear. You don't need a tablet or a pc or anything but the kestrel. I'm just making suggestions as to make your life easier. The kestrel AB Profile Loader comes with all the custom bullet curves, and that comes with the kestrel as part of your purchase. The android version of AB, unless you buy AB Tactical, comes with the standard curves, and custom curves cost 2$ a piece.

Edit I forgot to add, the reason the tablet or phone I feel is so much better as well. Is because you can set and forget the kestrel. You can set it on the wind vane mount, and get all your data live on your tablet, or phone. So you don't have to mess with the kestrel anymore, and you don't have to deal with reading the screen, or making certain its in the wind correctly. You can just get all your adjustments remotely. This only works on the Bluetooth model though.

Last edited:
I use a Mac.
how do i go about staying on top of updated etc.
Being in Australia, do i need to send it back to the US to update?
im assuming the bluetooth won't work on this platform?

thanks boys.

Does anyone know if Kestrel plans to release an update for the bluetooth to work with IOS? I am looking into buying a 4500 with Applied Ballistics but don't know if I want t spend the money on bluetooth if it is never going to work on IOS, but at the same time I don't want to not get bluetooth if something is in the works for IOS. I can tell the 4500NV w/ AB is the route to go just question the usefulness of bluetooth.

Thanks!

Hello to all, I just joined this site as a result of visiting NK in Boothwyn PA. Since I live and work close to NK I decided to buy directly from them. When I walked into their factory, the head of Kestrel sales, the CEO (who recommended Sniper's Hide) and a very experienced customer service rep all greeted me and spent the time talking with me regarding the 4500. I purchased a 4500 NV AB and the set up was really easy and it seems to be on the money so far. Also, they are there to support Kestrel owners and are willing to spend time on the phone answering questions - Very helpful and accommodating customer service.
I hope to learn and become proficient in the art of long range shooting from all of you here.
Thanks,
Joe

Some of the guys have had success using a windows emulator and Bluetooth to update theirs.

this is is probably not the "cool" solution but I solved the Mac/ios dilemma as follows. Since I'm Mac-centric I did not want to buy a Windows based computer or tablet. I instead installed Windows 7Pro on a boot camp partition on my Mac Book Pro laptop. I then installed appropriate Kestrel USB and Communicator software and purchased the Kestrel USB docking port. While I figured the Windows partition was "likely" to work with Bluetooth I wanted to have a sure thing which this setup is. This works flawlessly with a 4500AB without Bluetooth.

While Mac Bluetooth May one day work with the Kestrel AB this works now and is likely to work indefenitely. YMMV

Hope this is of some value.