• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Kestrel 5700 w/ Hornady 4DOF

Took the Hornady Kestrel out this am and had first round hits at 520 yds second round hits at 918yds and 965yds with my 6BR using of all things the one berger 243 bullet that is in the solver (the 105 hybrid) I have switched over to the 108eldm but had those loaded. I had my wind direction off a little I need the weather vane now lol. Works good, although I had some kind of stupid weird error where it literally took 30 times to connect to my Pixel 3, then all of the sudden decided to work...

Connected good with my Bushnell ConX rangefinder (which I will probably put in the equipment exchange later today...a leica found its way to my doorstep, although havent tried to connect it or know if it will :) ).

My Kestrel doesn't get here until Wednesday, but I've got a Leica 2800.com I'll be connecting up. Hope it works, having the ballistic solution readout on the Leica is all kinds of awesome. That the same model you're using? Let us know how it works for you.

Got mine today
Even with laser engraving though that my delay delivery
6B01005D-EC79-4F29-A2BB-79AD418592E2.jpeg

So is there a rangefinder that will link to the kestrel that will show both elevation corection and wind corection on the screen

My Leica Rangemaster 2800.com does. Unfortunately, the BT connection seems a little unstable when doing repeated ranging. It takes a few seconds to connect then the first ranging generally works, but repeat ranging does not. Once it sleeps and I range again it tends to work. There's a delay before it connects that can sometimes be ten seconds, sometimes two. Just seems like there needs to be a little testing on the Kestrel or Leica end to shore this up, because when it is working, it's truly wonderful! Firmware is 1.28 on Kestrel and latest on Leica.

Got the Kestrel today, so far so good. I hope to have it out to the range soon but the dope matches the Hornady 4dof app well once I setup a matching rifle profile. Great not to have to pull out my phone and combine environmentals from various places and hand type them.

My Leica Rangemaster 2800.com does. Unfortunately, the BT connection seems a little unstable when doing repeated ranging. It takes a few seconds to connect then the first ranging generally works, but repeat ranging does not. Once it sleeps and I range again it tends to work. There's a delay before it connects that can sometimes be ten seconds, sometimes two. Just seems like there needs to be a little testing on the Kestrel or Leica end to shore this up, because when it is working, it's truly wonderful! Firmware is 1.28 on Kestrel and latest on Leica.

Got the Kestrel today, so far so good. I hope to have it out to the range soon but the dope matches the Hornady 4dof app well once I setup a matching rifle profile. Great not to have to pull out my phone and combine environmentals from various places and hand type them.
I sent an email off to kestrel to see what they have to say . I have the bushnell and while its ok You really need a second person to give you the wind correction and that's a pain in the butt.

I sent an email off to kestrel to see what they have to say . I have the bushnell and while its ok You really need a second person to give you the wind correction and that's a pain in the butt.

It's definitely a part of the Leica solution. Once the BT thing is ironed out, it'll be pretty amazing.

Just got back from day 1 with the Hornady Kestrel. Till now, I’ve only used StrelokPro paired with weatherflow.

Very easy to set up both a 6.5 CM and 223.
My bullets of choice were both available in the library. 140 Hybrids and 75 ELDM.

Winds at my back were recorded at 12-15.

6.5 CM first round hits (2MOA targets) at 800, 900 & 1000.
1100, 1200 &1300 took a bit of wind experimenting but Elevation was spot on.

223, first round hit at 800. Wind correction adjustments for 900 and 1000.
After figuring out the wind, 1000 1 MOA hits were spot on for elevation.

Having never touched a Kestrel before this morning, I’m extremely pleased. I’ll never futz with a phone and meter again.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the muzzle velocity temperature input with the android app? I understand the selection of powder with regards to temperature sensitivity, but not completely sure about the mv temp. Is that when the barrel is cold/ first shot and the ambient temperature at testing? And the fps input in that section, does it override the fps input the bullet data area? I have searched the manual and other forums for guidance on this input and can't find anything. Thanks for all the help.

I would say yes, it's your ambient temp, and preferably your first MV average for your load and powder. Preferably that the ammo has equalized with the ambient, or very close to...Though I have tested this ammo temp thingy and did not see noticible difference with several powders from below freezing to 160*. Gotta be something to do with ambient and bore temps included.

Zero offset is only available in the Elite.

Not
Zero offset is only available in the Elite.

Not much of a commenter here. Usually can’t add anything.

For the 3” low that drove the zero offset question, wouldn’t the true range zero process correct it? If so, that is on the menu as you scroll down to the individual rifle (for me it is SH700 140ELDX).

If the 3” low average is the rifleman’s experience, the true range zero c/should correct it.

If folks care, mine arrived Friday. I’ve never owned a kestrel with a built-in ballistics program, so I’m learning as I go. I’m probably missing something.

While it is early on for the Hornady Kestrel, there are good reports here on its ability to generate accurate holds and not one report of it not generating good holds. Both Hornady and AB have excellent reputations for their products. Both solvers offer two ways to tune the calculations to your rifle, AB - MV and DSF, Hornady MV and Axial Form Factor. The big difference between the Hornady Kestrel 5700 and the Elite is the gun storage 10 v. 3 (remember storage on your phone is unlimited), and the addition of Multi Target and range card in the Elite. Range finders that connect to either may also have some impact as there are more for the Elite than Hornady, but that will change as more manufacturers add Bluetooth to their LRFs. I think we have two great choices and pricing that reflects the differences - $499 or $699.

Two of us took our new Hornady Kestrel out to try yesterfay and we both came up with the same problem one rifle is a 6.5 cm and the other is a 6.5 prc We both use different chronographs mine is an old Alpha his is a new MagnetoSpeed when we did the cal ff at 600 yrds useing the info on the kestrel both rifles shot 10 and eleven inches low the only way we could correct this to be able to use the cal ff was to slow our MV by over 200 fps To me this isn't right even though we where on target all the way out to 1k.So my ? is what did we both do wrong in our set up We also tried fixing it by changing from zerow range to zerow angle didn't make a difference.

Did you try calibrating t(e axial form factor? If so, how close did that bring you to poi=poa? Thanks.

I'm sure I missed it in this thread, but how and where do you adjust axial form factor? My 4DOF Kestrel is incredibly close to my AB Kestrel, but I'd still like to know in case I run into a situation that requires adjustment

Edit: Disregard. I found it in my Link Ballistic app on my phone.

And here's a video on how to calculate your actual axial form factor

Last edited:
It sounds like you may have some other data input incorrectly for that kind of MV change needed. I could be wrong, but the only time ive ever had something like that happen on any ballistic solver, i went back and realized i had some ungodly number put in for the scope height. Something like 19" instead of 1.9"

Reactions: lumberjack78
That would be a good one I just checked that and I'm at 2.0 All other parameters are correct as well. and its two of us at the same time entering different data for each gun I'm sure there is a goof some place just have to find it.

Did you manually enter the bullet data or were they already in the Hornady catalogue?
Something ain't right (as suggessted) data wise - 200 fps is more than an environmental error.

Did you manually enter the bullet data or were they already in the Hornady catalogue?
Something ain't right (as suggessted) data wise - 200 fps is more than an environmental error.

That's a good question. The 105 Hybrid, 107 SMK, and 140 ELDM are the three bullets I shoot the most frequently. All three were in the library, so the firing solution given by the 4DOF was incredibly close to my AB Kestrel. To be off 200fps-worth of drop seems like a manually entered BC was too high

I had a weird issue the first time I took it out. I went out to validate the form factor at 685yds. My group was 7.5" high. I could not adjust the form factor to bring the group back to center. I went back to the drawing board to evaluate all my inputs. Speed was checked by LabRadar, SD over 12 rounds was 7 and change. Zero was good, all manual inputs were good After all this went back the same day, with the same inputs and shot a 1.7" group at 7.5 inches high. I couldn't adjust the form factor to compensate. I came back to the drawing board and cussed the kestrel up and down, I even went out and then did a ladder test to check my scope tracking. I went back the next day and again used the same exact inputs, shot a group 3.5" high and was able to bring it down with a form factor of .91. Seems to be working now. The only thing I can figure is maybe I was getting some aerodynamic jump that the kestrel wasnt accounting for. I was shooting in some pretty high winds (15 sustained with 20-25 gusts) but was sheltered from some of it at the firing position.

I was using the 4DOF program for 107SMK .

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I have the kestrel 3500 (free with a leupold LRP) and have only used a few times...Been trying to decide AB or the hornady version as I use AB on my phone...Leaning towards the Hornady 4DOF

I was able to get the Hornady Kestrel out this weekend at a local PRS match. I'm new to PRS and new to a lot of this gear. This is my first Kestrel to own and it definitely helped having it. Having the Kestrel, I was able to make a nice improvement on my number of hits. It produced accurate holds for me out to 850yds. It has been easy to learn and I am very happy with the results. That all said, I can see where having the ELITE would be nice for the extra features but, I think this Hornady Kestrel will do everything I need at this time and should serve me well for a good while.

Go here,

In the box that says "Ammunition", click on "Bullets" and there is your library.

Here are the bullets in the 4DOF library:

HORNADY
22 cal: 73, 75,80, 88 ELDM
6mm: 90 ELDX, 103 ELDX, 105 BTHP, 108 ELDM, and 110 A-tip
25 cal: 110 ELDX
6.5mm: 100, 120, 123, 130, 140, 147 ELDM, 135 and 153 A-tip, 140 BTHP, 143 ELDX
7mm: 150, 162, 175 ELDX, 162 BTHP, 162, 168, 180 ELDM
30 cal: 155, 168, 178, 195, 208, 225 ELDM, 168, 178, 195, 208, 225 BTHP, 178, 200, 212, 220 ELDX, 250 A-tip
338 cal: 285 ELDM, 270 ELDX, 250 and 285 BTHP, 250 A-tip
50 cal: 750 AMAX

BERGER
22 cal: 80 VLD
6mm 105 Hybrid
6.5mm 140 Hybrid
7mm 180 VLD Hunter and 195 Elite Hunter
30 cal 215 and 230 Target Hybrid
338 cal 300 Hybrid Tac

LAPUA
6.5mm 136 and 139 Scenar
30 cal 167, 175, 185, 220 Scenar