• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Kidd vs Anschutz

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I have been thinking about a new 22lr. Is it possible for a Kidd built supergrade rifle to compete with one of the Anschutz 64 models? I currently have a 10/22 I built with Kidd parts and a Ruger receiver. It will shoot MOA at 100 yards so a supergrade built buy Kidd should do better than that.

Re: Kidd vs Anschutz

I could be wrong, But I doubt a spec built bolt gun is gonna do better than a spec built semi-auto.. I have a kidd barrel, it shoots great, but lots o things moving around..

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 243Varminter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been thinking about a new 22lr. Is it possible for a Kidd built supergrade rifle to compete with one of the Anschutz 64 models? I currently have a 10/22 I built with Kidd parts and a Ruger receiver. It will shoot MOA at 100 yards so a supergrade built buy Kidd should do better than that. </div></div>

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352422

I too have been thinking about getting a Kidd Supergrade with a 16.5" or 18" fluted barrel in a Mcmillan directly from Kidd. I think the super grade is the only way to go if you are going to put any cash in a semi rimfire platform. From all I have read and seen they will shoot with any bolt gun (well damn near), to me its like what Larue OBR and the GAP 10 are in the centerfire world.

I was going to start a thread on this today but... So I would like any real time experience with these rifles both good and especially bad.

I'll jump in here. It is possible to make the 10/22 platform shoot well and Kidd does a great job of it. I had a 10/22 several years ago with some modifications that would shoot amazingly well. I used it as a trainer for young shooters. I could shoot it off a bench at 100yds and shoot a clean with very good elevation. I shoot a lot of prone competition so I sold it because I had an Anschutz 54 that I recently put in an Eliseo stock to mimmick my Palma rifle and my Any rifle. I believe that the 10/22s can be built very close to benchrest accuracy if you want to spend the money, free float the action, replace the trigger, etc. I believe that they require a lot more maintenance than a bolt gun though. AR15s and 10s are the same way. If you've ever disassembled a 10/22 trigger, you know what I mean. We have a couple of guys that shoot Kidd rifles in our club .22 matches F-class who do pretty well. An Anschutz 54 repeater is a great way to go if you are looking at a .22 to mimmick your tactical rifle.

I have had a Kidd Supergrade with the Anschutz target stock by B&C for about two years and just bought an Anschutz 54:18 MSR three weeks ago. Both of these guns are repeaters set up for silhouette shooting; the Kidd with a thick 18" barrel and the Anshutz with a thinner 22" barrel. I have to say that right off the bat the Kidd was more accurate. Tony does an outstanding job pillar bedding the action and from the first group I could tell this was a shooter. The Kidd trigger is outstanding, but the Anshutz is probably the best match trigger in the world.

The Anshutz comes unbedded with a wood stock and is pretty sensitive to stock bolt pressure, the piller bedded Kidd is much less sensitive. I have also begun playing with a tuner on the Anschutz, something that would probably not improve the short thick barrel of the Kidd. I am hoping that bedded into a McMillan BR stock the Anshutz will at least match if not beat the Kidd, but it will take a lot of work to get there. it is pretty amazing what Tony has been able to get out of the 10/22 platform.

My biggest negative with the Kidd is that you cannot clean it from the breech, so keeping it clean is much more of a chore.

rick

I think you'll find that bedding that Anschutz does wonders. Tuners help also. Back in the day before tuners, some people used another screw through the forearm of the stock to put pressure on the barrel. They would adjust the pressure on the barrel until it settled down. I was told it worked but never tried it. Even better, it seems is using a barrel block or bedding the barrel and free floating the action. I have seen a couple of 10/22s shoot amazingly well set up like that.

This:

photo1-2.jpg

Will do this:

IMG_1299.jpg

1/4' from clean. Should have waited for the wind to die down. If I ever remember to write down the numbers I am supposed to shoot I will submit them in the comp.
crazy.gif

I have never had a real good bolt .22lr but this shoots great. I have had it for a year with no problems. If you go this way make sure you get a white recoil rod spring it will let your gun cycle standard velocity ammo much better.

Rimfire section. Under short range Rimfire competitions. Then printable targets.

Join the fun! Post your score.

Just remember to write down the numbers you are supposed to shoot. And take them with you. I forget a lot.

Also try the long range if you have a place to shoot it.

Thanks for the replies. I will most likely go with the Kidd when the time comes. I was also thinking about getting my dad a Kidd receiver or barreled action. Mine is very accurate and it is a Ruger action and was built by me.

A kidd bolt and barrel is all you really need to turn a 10/22 into a real shooter. Otherwise you can look into a pws summit receiver. It turns your gun into a bolt repeater. seen some awesome groups with their setup