• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Killflash Yes or No

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I have a NF NXS 56mm and wondering if this is necessary. I am going to use this rifle for hunting coyotes and don't have a Sunshade for it anymore. Which would be better sunshade or killflash? Here is the one I'm looking at Midwayusa Killflash

Re: Killflash Yes or No

For hunting fourlegged targets, a sunshade is preferrable.
It will not darken your image through the scope as you may slightly experience with a killflash, especially at dusk/dawn, and it will be way easier on your eyes in daylight with the sunshade attached.
The sunshade will take care of most of the reflexes that could startle or scare off an animal as well, the killflash is aimed more towards avoiding detection from conscious observers...

An El Cheapo sunshade can be made from a piece of stiff plastic or paper sheet and a couple of rubber bands if youre on a budget
wink.gif

John - out

I has wondered the same thing about getting an ard over a sunshade. I have always used sunshades on all my scoped rifles but they were mainly bench guns. Now I am getting a 20" 308 and to keep everything compact, I had seriously considered the ard. To me, sunshades can look overwhelming on a short rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No ARD unless you are an operator or a ninja. </div></div>

Nah. Any reflection is going to gain the attention of deer/elk or whatever your hunting. With that said the ARD is a great benefit for hunter's as well.

MS

Killflash will only be of true value to anyone that is trying to avoid day time concealment killers, in this case reflection.

Unless you having targets shooting back at you I wouldnt worry about the killflash.

Without your sunshade, avoid shooting into the direction of the sun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Killflash will only be of true value to anyone that is trying to avoid day time concealment killers, in this case reflection.

Unless you having targets shooting back at you I wouldnt worry about the killflash.

Without your sunshade, avoid shooting into the direction of the sun </div></div>

Negative. Again, this works well for hunter's who don't want to scare game away with glare. Even without the help of the sun, a deer will see anything shiny "such as the glass on your scope" from a long ways away.

With that beind said, hunter's know 90% of kill's come at morning evening when the sun will glare off your scope the most. So how would this not be a great benefit for hunter's as well?

MS

Reactions: gooseman80

from my understanding by reading around about ARDs there are quite beneficial. They block stray rays of light coming into the objective better than a sunshade which can make the image of your target seem brighter because you are getting more of just light reflected from the target in the objective...Those stray rays of light really wash a scope out. I haven't had an ARD but I do plan to at least give it a try plus a I kinda like the tacticool aspect of it also

Regardless of the ultimate purpose, ARDs have advantages over the sunshade. An ARD creates no more length than just that of a flip cap. I've seen and used various sunshades and all of them add extra bulk and length.

ARDs provide protection for your lens as well. Technically, sunshades do too, but not in the same manner.

As far as light reduction, I don't think either causes enough to affect scope performance. The viewable difference through a scope when one of these options are applied is pretty minimal.

Overall, an ARD wins. It is more compact and does a better job of performing the given task; eliminating reflection.

This has been covered a ton here already.
Search and see...
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

The actual full size ARDs have more benifits that just detection avoidance.
When shooting when the sun is low in the sky, they keep your reticle from getting washed out.
When shooting in the rain, they keep water off your objective.
When shooting in high glare environments, they eliminate it.

Bottom line, if you run one and leave it on you loose a very small amount of light and clairity, but you are able to operate in more environments.
It is easy to take the ARD off if you get into a low light situation.

For me, the benifits outweigh the penalty.
Others will disagree.
Choose the setup that works best for you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless of the ultimate purpose, ARDs have advantages over the sunshade. An ARD creates no more length than just that of a flip cap. I've seen and used various sunshades and all of them add extra bulk and length.

ARDs provide protection for your lens as well. Technically, sunshades do too, but not in the same manner.

As far as light reduction, I don't think either causes enough to affect scope performance. The viewable difference through a scope when one of these options are applied is pretty minimal.

Overall, an ARD wins. It is more compact and does a better job of performing the given task; eliminating reflection. </div></div>

Well put. USO offer's the ARD/Sunshade all in one design. The difference with their sunshade though is it's not so long so you get the best of both world's.

In my mind their design is "almost" perfect. They could of used something like I showed above with the wider comb and it would allow nearly 100% of light transmission, and still do the job it was intended for, which is to stop scope glare and shine.

Again; a great addition for other's like hunter's and not just mil/leo/ninja's and tacticool's.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has been covered a ton here already.
Search and see...

When shooting when the sun is low in the sky, they keep your reticle from getting washed out.

Bottom line, if you run one and leave it on you loose a very small amount of light and clairity, but you are able to operate in more environments.

Others will disagree.
Choose the setup that works best for you... </div></div>

I didn't even think about rain. I've even used them in the rain lol. This is where I think the ARD/sunshade hybrid design is useful.

Thanks Dr.Phil

lol, yeah are the yotes using spotters now glassing for lens flash? you may not need either, but buy that DIY stuff first as its the cheapest way to find out. one guy used black nylon screen even

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has been covered a ton here already.
Search and see...

Others will disagree.
Choose the setup that works best for you...</div></div>

Also they help protect the front lens and they are half the length of a comparable sunshade. I can't really use the NXS bikini cover with the 4" sunshade that came with my scope, but I can use it with a 1.5" long tenebrex. If I ever need to shoot at night, I can take it off in under 5 seconds. I think I will have a lot more than 5 seconds notice that the sun has gone down. I could really give a flying fuck about reflections, but I love honeycomb ARDs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Negative. Again, this works well for hunter's who don't want to scare game away with glare. Even without the help of the sun, a deer will see anything shiny "such as the glass on your scope" from a long ways away.

With that beind said, hunter's know 90% of kill's come at morning evening when the sun will glare off your scope the most. So how would this not be a great benefit for hunter's as well?

MS </div></div>

Perhaps, but from my understanding, if my scope is in line with an animal im usually onto it before i give it a chance to be spooked.

Out here, glassing with binos is primarily where most "deer hunting" time is spent... and i dont have no killflash or sunshade on my binos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, yeah are the yotes using spotters now glassing for lens flash?</div></div>
You won't believe how cunning those 'yotes have become! And I'm not even talking about the two-legged variety!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, yeah are the yotes using spotters now glassing for lens flash? you may not need either, but buy that DIY stuff first as its the cheapest way to find out. one guy used black nylon screen even </div></div>

That would be a lot more effective than the black camera honeycomb as the honeycomb's problem is the inability to perfectly perpendicular to the lens.

Specifically USO ARDs on my S&B and PH IMO have more benifits than negatives as others have mentioned. In addition IMO the depth of field seems to increased which is a positive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps, but from my understanding, if my scope is in line with an animal im usually onto it before i give it a chance to be spooked.

Out here, glassing with binos is primarily where most "deer hunting" time is spent... and i dont have no killflash or sunshade on my binos. </div></div>

Hi vman,

You don't <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> to own ARD's for your scope or bino's in order to be a successful hunter or whatever your doing. But reflection will scare game off weather your aware of it or not. When your looking for game and they see the glass or shine your problaby not going to transition fast enough assuming that you even see whatever your trying to spot/hunt.

MS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ravensfcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say just go with the sunshade. </div></div>

Sunshade > Killflash.

Imo, killflashes are more for smaller optics like red dots, but not really functional on larger glasses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gritty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ravensfcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say just go with the sunshade. </div></div>

Sunshade > Killflash.

Imo, killflashes are more for smaller optics like red dots, but not really functional on larger glasses. </div></div>

Wrong.

MS

I cut out a piece of screen door, tape to lens, and spray paint it, then remove screen, only works though on USO, S&B's, and NightForce since they are the only ones to have quality enough glass for the paint to stick to

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hi vman,

You don't <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> to own ARD's for your scope or bino's in order to be a successful hunter or whatever your doing. But reflection will scare game off weather your aware of it or not. When your looking for game and they see the glass or shine your problaby not going to transition fast enough assuming that you even see whatever your trying to spot/hunt.

MS </div></div>

Thats kinda strange. I would have never thought game would be scared off by a reflection. I think most animals would get curious and take a closer look. But then again, my assumption is based off of bass =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut out a piece of screen door, tape to lens, and spray paint it, then remove screen, only works though on USO, S&B's, and NightForce since they are the only ones to have quality enough glass for the paint to stick to</div></div>

What???

You spray-painted the lens of your USO and S&B scopes????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If something is going to shoot back at you use the killflash. If not use the sunshade.</div></div>

+1

the kill flash will dim the "brightness" of the optic as it's stopping some light from entering the tube. not good in early morning / early evening hunts. the sunshade will take out the glare that may also ruin a shot.

like vajajapunisher said, some screening from a window screen tucked under the butler creek cap, or even over the objective with a rubber band for easy removal? best of both worlds, easy removal, costs 5 cents.
MKIIF045.jpg

He said he spray-paints the lens on his USO and S&B scopes.

I could kinda understand doing that to a........Barska maybe, or a Millet, maybe even a Burrus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut out a piece of screen door, tape to lens, and spray paint it, then remove screen, only works though on USO, S&B's, and NightForce since they are the only ones to have quality enough glass for the paint to stick to </div></div>

Your a dick when you're drunk Superman.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I could really give a flying fuck about reflections, but I love honeycomb ARDs. </div></div>

My sentiments exactly, but I prefer the larger honeycomb of the USO types to the Tenebraex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut out a piece of screen door, tape to lens, and spray paint it, then remove screen, only works though on USO, S&B's, and NightForce since they are the only ones to have quality enough glass for the paint to stick to</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said he spray-paints the lens on his USO and S&B scopes.
</div></div>

as i was skimming the forum, i blocked out that second part, it's my natural defense against evil doings
laugh.gif

still like the screen door mesh for the utilitarian use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut out a piece of screen door, tape to lens, and spray paint it, then remove screen, only works though on USO, S&B's, and NightForce since they are the only ones to have quality enough glass for the paint to stick to </div></div>

The Heritage and Hensoldt don't have quality glass? Put the liquor away lol.

MS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If something is going to shoot back at you use the killflash. If not use the sunshade.</div></div>

+1

the kill flash will dim the "brightness" of the optic as it's stopping some light from entering the tube. not good in early morning / early evening hunts. the sunshade will take out the glare that may also ruin a shot.

like vajajapunisher said, some screening from a window screen tucked under the butler creek cap, or even over the objective with a rubber band for easy removal? best of both worlds, easy removal, costs 5 cents.
MKIIF045.jpg
</div></div>

But the other ninjas won't be impressed. You must spend at least $50 for true ninja bling!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said he spray-paints the lens on his USO and S&B scopes.

I could kinda understand doing that to a........Barska maybe, or a Millet, maybe even a Burrus.</div></div>

dude seriously? it was a joke

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shot In The Dark
But the other ninjas won't be impressed. You must spend at least $50 for true ninja bling!</div></div>

u corek, have dishorored dem, now to commit Seppuku - oh rait dat is for samurai, i rive anada day.
ROR.jpg