• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Konus Optics??

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
Worked with a vendor at work Friday that said he bought a Konus scope and swears its better than his high end scopes...

Just looking at the price I have a hard time believing this and really haven't heard much about them.. so what's the deal with them?..

Let me begin by saying I have 7 NighForce scopes, 4 ACOG's 2 Vortex Vipers PST FFP , 2 Bushnell Tactical Elites G2DMR's and 3 Leupold 6.5-20X 50 Vari-X III EFR scopes. However about 3+ years ago my brother bought a Konus Pro M30 Tactical 6.5-24X44 scope for his Remington STS 308 Tactical. The glass quality is on par with my Vortex Viper PST FFP's and the tracking is excellent. They come with 0.1 mil/mil turrets. He has now over 500 rounds thru the SPS and the scope has never had a problem. Is it equal to a NightForce ? Definitely not but is on par with my Vortex scopes. I picked up a RRA AR a few years back and decided to try the Konus Pro M30 Tactical 4-16X40 on it. The glass is just as clear as my Vortex and tracking is spot on. However due to the smaller objective lens it is not quite as bright as the 50mm objective on the Vortex but still very adequate. I've only have about 200 rounds on the RRA but so far no problems with the scope. After seeing my brothers scope perform without incident over the years I think the Konus Pro Tactical M30 line is underrated especially at its price point. I can't speak for any other Konus products although I have read good things about their spotting scopes.

I had one a few years ago and they are not bad. I would not compare them to a high end scope but for the money they are not bad. I never had any problems with mine but at the same time I would never go shoot a big match with one.

...Konus Pro M30 Tactical 6.5-24X44 scope...Konus Pro M30 Tactical 4-16X40 on it. The glass is just as clear as my Vortex and tracking is spot on...

how was the higher end of the magnification scale?.. I found a few posts that indicated issues with magnification.. to a point of seeing nothing with the higher end of a 8-32 model I think it was..

I had one a few years ago and they are not bad. I would not compare them to a high end scope but for the money they are not bad. I never had any problems with mine but at the same time I would never go shoot a big match with one.

no intentions of shooting a match with one but thinking of getting one as a hunting rifle scope or a 22LR scope for longer shooting.. some of the mil dot models would be good ranging practice with multiple targets at undefined distance having to calculate distance and account for drop on a mil dot with 22.. that's where my thoughts are going here anyway

I was impressed with the performance per dollar of the M30 I had- used it briefly on a .308PSS and it did well-I would echo the above and say that the glass resolution was on the same level as the Vortex PST (reasonable/$)- I bought it not expecting much ( suspicious of tracking repeatability as with all scopes in that price point) - tried it on the PSS and it did well, but it was destined for a .22lr rifle that went away. A bit murky at higher magnification- but expected, turrets stiff and the locking mechanism makes them super tall and kind of ungainly to fit in smaller gun cases.
No regrets buying it, no regrets selling it.

Last edited:
how was the higher end of the magnification scale?.. I found a few posts that indicated issues with magnification.. to a point of seeing nothing with the higher end of a 8-32 model I think it was..

no intentions of shooting a match with one but thinking of getting one as a hunting rifle scope or a 22LR scope for longer shooting.. some of the mil dot models would be good ranging practice with multiple targets at undefined distance having to calculate distance and account for drop on a mil dot with 22.. that's where my thoughts are going here anyway
I think you will be fine with one

You get what you pay for. Back when I thought being a baller was getting cheese flavored ramen and taking my date to get some dollar menu I got a Konus M30 for my M1A and it worked pretty good for around 300 bucks. Even better was their warranty. I took the gun hunting numerous times and on one occasion it got dinged pretty hard and ended up fogging up the optic. I contacted them , told them the story and they replaced it with a brand new one once they got my old one. I was very impressed with that. I ended up replacing the M30 on my M1A for a Burris HDMR but it worked great for the price point. I have the new one they sent me and I use to around on various rifles that I haven't put glass on or just for S&G's.

I found one of the konus scopes at a local gun shop and was looking it over before I bough it.. they only had one.. it was a 4.5 to 16 model.. but then I noticed something a bit strange that made me not want to buy it.. the ocular assembly housing was labeled 6.5 to 25 .. I checked the scope again to ensure I saw it properly but sure enough it was a 4.5 - 16 scope with a 6.5 - 25 engraved ocular housing.. decided I didn't think much of it so I ordered myself a falcon menace in moa reticle.. should be plenty scope for a 22

I have a Konus 20-60 x 100 spotter and I was very skeptical of the quality at that price range.

I was very pleasantly surprised to say the least....It isn't $3,000 quality but it is TONS better than I would have ever expected and is a tremendous optic value for the price I paid.

My expectations were even lower at the high end of the magnification range and it is pretty darn clear in the center, even at 60x.