Krylon on my OBR.

Sumpter Steve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Gresham, Oregon
It is a little more "green" in real life.
Colors: Khaki, Olive.

OBRPainted044.jpg

Re: Krylon on my OBR.

nice P/C way of put green on [Patriotic Correct] nice paint job ...just fade in a bit more flat light/dark maybe some grays...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we need more pictures
smile.gif
</div></div>

Here ya go. This pic was shot on a bright, sunny day so it washes out the green. I'll take some better pics on my next training day but at least you get the idea.

OBRPaintedwithKrylon045.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job! </div></div>

Thanks buddy. I just wish my photography skills were half as good as yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GNSRSCRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. I need to do that to my POF. </div></div>

Just bring it over. I have plenty of the paint and fake field grass. It takes longer to mask stuff off than it does to bomb it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's the rifle shooting? Have you shot 175gr through it at all? </div></div>

It consistantly shoots Silver State Armory 175's sub 1/2 MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sumpter, how well does that stuff hold up? Is there a way to keep it from chipping or flaking? </div></div>

It depends on how hard you use it. It will chip, flake and wear down from use. The good news is that you can always scuff it up a little and spray it over again.

Looks really good! About time for me to redo my rifle, a lot has worn off over the course of the last couple thousand rounds.

Mine hasn't flaked off much, more dings and wearing on the high-use areas. I prepped with a degreaser before I sprayed. Did a 2 coat base then applied a doily with rubber bands holding it on. Then a brown, green and alittle gray. The BC caps flaked for sure, but those broke anyway...

if your painting skills are that good, why don't you just use Duracoat or Cerakote and not worry about flaking or having to re-do! Wish I had your talent--am only doing solid colors for now but have saved a few "tupperware" stocks to practice on before attempting to do an expensive 1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if your painting skills are that good, why don't you just use Duracoat or Cerakote and not worry about flaking or having to re-do! Wish I had your talent--am only doing solid colors for now but have saved a few "tupperware" stocks to practice on before attempting to do an expensive 1 </div></div>

I guess because it is just a rifle and I really don't care if it get's scratched, dinged, etc. I just need it to consistantly hit what I'm aiming at. If the camo becomes ineffective due to wear I'll just bomb it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk9176251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you do to prep the parts so the krylon wont flake or ware of if you dont mind me asking p.s. it looks phenomenal </div></div>

I used acetone to remove grease, oil, etc. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been thinking about doing it to my POF. Been too scared I will screw it up. Seeing yours has got me thinking again... </div></div>

There isn't anything to screw up. Simply mask off what you dont want to spray, wipe her down with some acetone and paint away. I started with Khaki and then laid immitation field grass (craft store) over it and hit it lightly with Olive. You will see that it works great and works equally great in the field. The trick is to apply the Olive as light or as heavy as you need to match your AO. If you don't like the looks start over with some more Khaki and the add Olive again. It's really easy.

Very nice job man!
It is really easy to do. I know what you mean by not showing it's true color in a photo. Mine does the same thing.
In my opinion thats part of the beauty of painting it. It changes the rifles image depending on the amount of light and it's surrounding so to speak. The whole point of painting it is to break up the patterned silhoutte of the rifle making it less likely to attract the attention of the eyes. Yea the paint will chip, flake and scratch but that just adds to the scheme. Unless the paint's missing in large porportions theres not really a need to paint it again. Touch up can always be done if need be. But heck it's a rifle, a tool, meant to be used hard and treated hard.
Here is my Krylon paint job...
IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BC caps flaked for sure, but those broke anyway... </div></div>

Plastics need a flex additive to prevent that which unfortunately no one offers unless you're mixing custom. If you did a base coat on the caps though which has a flex additive already in then it might help.