• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lake City 308 Brass

Re: Lake City 308 Brass

http://www.scharch.com/proddetail.php?prod=8B308WINMY-5C/2

Not The Cheapest out there, but with these guys you get exactly what you pay for. Depending on what I am doing with 308, I sometimes actually prefer well prepped mil brass. Yak at me all you want about Lapua and My Time... some times I got lots of spare time, and not a whole lot of money! Add to that, some days I when I am in a hurry brass gets lost. If i lose a piece of Lapua that is annoying.

All relative really...
Gary

I have both I use to use Lapua exclusively, but being in the millitary i went the route of useing Lake city brass.
I enjoy prepping brass, especially since i get some alone time and can focus...
It's been a few months since I have used lapua. All my prac is done with Lake City, big important matches I might use Lapua (since I have the load data with)
Plus useing Lake City Brass, it takes less powder to get the same Velocities as Lapua. so I save some powder

I am with you, I have a lifetime supplu of LC LR brass, and a hundred Lapua cases that have lasted me years.
For what brass costs now, and the fact that I can pick up all the free brass I want that's what I use.

Comes annealed, and saves powder,and is free, what could be better.

I just got about 250 cases of virgin LC 308, 1970 vintage from Crod1972. I deprimed and swaged the primer pockets last night. I'm gonna full prep it and see how it does. It's not match brass, but it hasn't been fired just had the bullet and powder pulled so I'm hoping it will shoot okay in my GAP.

wish me luck.....

If you ever get your hands on LC LR 02, re-size, trim, de-burr the flasholes and uniform the primer pockets, then weigh them. You will be pleasantly surprised how uniform these are. In their re-sized form, and trimmed to 2.0, the water volume is 54.5 grains.

I am retired, time is what I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got about 250 cases of virgin LC 308, 1970 vintage from Crod1972. I deprimed and swaged the primer pockets last night. I'm gonna full prep it and see how it does. It's not match brass, but it hasn't been fired just had the bullet and powder pulled so I'm hoping it will shoot okay in my GAP.

wish me luck..... </div></div>

So I took my first batch of 50 and did the following

expand case mouth, neck turn to .015, trim to length, uniform primer pocket, deburr flashhole, chamfer and debur case mouth, size in Redding competition dies using .336 bushing, prime with F210M, load varying weights of varget, and seat a 178 Amax @ 2.221 to ogive.

The brass worked spectacular. 44 gr of varget shot .2 center to center front and rear bag. Just full prepped another 100 shells over the weekend, and have another 100 +/- to do.

That's a magic load for me as well. Works amazing out of my GAP SCLE 22" Rock 5R with a 95 Palma Chamber

178 BTHP
LC/LR 05 brass trimmed to 2.005
44.0 Gr Varget
Wolf Primer
Ogive - 2.183

5 shot group at 100 yards

44grVarget178BTHP.jpg

I haven't found ANY kind of brass that won't shoot bugholes at 200 yards from my rifle. I've tried:

PMC
IVI70
IVI69
LC72
LC Match
TW66
FC
RP
WRA
and probably more

I love using NATO brass with zero prep, off-centered flash holes, no trimming, no uniforming etc etc....and firing a 10 round bughole at 200 yards. Makes ya wonder why tactical shooters spend so much time on brassprep!

One other point: NATO brass can generally NOT achieve the same velocities that Lapua brass can, because case capacity is less.