• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lapua 6.5 CM brass decapping pin ???

Leatherneck105

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Just finish shooting new Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass to fire form. I noticed when loading how small the flash hole was and really did think anything of it. I usually grab 5 case and punch out the primer using a Lee universal decapper to measure the headspace. After punching out the primer, I realized I made the flash hole larger. I checked some unprimed brass and realized that the flash hole was too small for any of the decapping pin I had on hand. I am currently using the Hornady Match Grade dies and the pins included a too big to fit though the small flash hole. Any suggestions?????

You'll want a br/ppc sized decapping pin, it's a bit smaller. Some decapping dies, Redding is what comes to mind, can come with the small one already. Might be worth a call into hornady if they have an appropriately sized pin they would send you for a couple of bucks mailing. You'll want it for a .059" sized flash hole

Ive also heard that you can just sand your current one down until it works. Chuck it in a drill or something? Not sure how long it would take

Last edited:
Universal recapping dies work. I'm using a Lee right now. I think I turned the pin down on it with my drill and some sand paper though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just grabbed some sandpaper and put on a movie. Kept checking as I went with a case and now my Lee works great. A drill would be quicker but the chance of sanding off too much is there. Either way thats what I'd do

Thanks for everyone's response. I had an extra Lee pin that was bent and filed it down to size. I punched out all the primers with no problem. I have an extra pin that came with the Hornady dies and will try the sand paper .

The Redding small de cap pin will work in the SD but if you deprive and size in a separate step, thee Redding pin will not work in another universal die. I think the only option to do it right is to sand down a juniveral pin to fit with Lee coming to mind. Whoever makes a universal decapper with a small enough pin will have some good sales....6.5 Guys said they did it with the Lee but it had to open the hole...

FYI, I when I ran in to this I did call hornady about a smaller pin for my universal decap die. They do not offer a small dia pin. I ordered the Redding decap die.