• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lapua/SK 22LR brass heel label

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Has anyone tried sorting exceptional brass?
    This is what I am talking about:
    Picture of SK Biathlons

As you can see 4 in the left have light labeling where 4 on right have heavy labeling.

Here is another photo, of Midas +. Just one brass is lightly labeled??

Is this some conspiracy to ruin my groups or perhaps something even more evil?

Sort a boxinto groups of ten, based on stamp depth/crispness/whatever. Shoot the groups. I'd be surprised if you see a measurable difference, but I've been wrong before. Post up the results.

But how do you know they are not one of those.. This thing goes way deep and we need to be careful. You are sure they are skilled enough and equipped well?

You could try a 22 rimfire rim thickness gauge and see if the rim thickness is why there’s more/less stamp.
    I have a friend who has one, seems like there is point in measuring it in these specimens. But since rim thickness correlates with hardly anything it would be just a 'nice to know'.

I have heard that the overall length of the cartridge can make or break a group..

Does not anyone else have these same brass heel shape problems?? I need more cameras...

I’ve never looked that close. Lapua centerX shoots at or below 0.5” at 50y from my Kidd 10/22, and has the least vertical dispersion at 200y. That is sufficient for me...

Smallbore shooters have been doing this for decades.

22 RIMFIRE ACCURACY GAUGE

THE CUSTOM PRODUCTS 22 RIMFIRE ACCURACY GAUGE HAS PROVEN EXCEPTIONALLY USEFUL FOR SORTING ORDINARY QUALITY AMMUNITION INTO LOTS WHICH WILL SHOOT AS WELL AS OR BETTER THAN SOME MATCH AMMUNITION. THE GAUGE IS DESIGNED TO SORT 22 RIMFIRE AMMO INTO LOTS WHICH ARE ALIKE IN RIM THICKNESS AND THEREFORE ALIKE IN HEADSPACE. [/TD]

22lr Rim Thickness Gauge
    PrintEmail

G3 Rimfire Rim Thickness Tool and Base-to-Ogive Length Gauge
    g3 rimfire gaugeGerry Gereg makes two precision tools that let rimfire shooters pre-sort their ammo for improved accuracy. The first tool, the G3 Rimfire Thickness Gauge, lets you sort rimfire ammo by rim thickness. This tool clamps to the jaws of your calipers and is very simple to use. Just slide a cartridge into the gauge and slide the jaws closed. With mid-grade rimfire ammo you’ll see variances of up to .006″ in rim thickness. High-end ammo, such as Eley Tenex, shows much tighter tolerances. With no moving parts (other than the thumb screw), this simple gauge is easy-to-use and very repeatable. It also has a convenient lanyard you can loop around your wrist. You can learn more about this tool in a full RifleMagazine.com review.

Gereg’s second tool is a very nicely-crafted gauge that measures rimfire rounds from base of rim to the bullet ogive. The G3 MK II Pro tool fits comfortably in the hand while inserting a cartridge in the measuring chamber at the bottom of the tool. This G3 MK II Pro tool features a built-in dial indicator making read-outs quick and easy. Just slide a rimfire cartridge in the base of the unit and gently yet firmly push the round into the measuring chamber until the dial indicator comes to rest. The dial indicator on the gauge gives you a number which you can use to compare base to ogive lengths. Note: The piston is indexed to assure its return to the original setting. When we used the gauge with inexpensive ammo, we saw variances in rim base-to-ogive lengths of up to .025″. The high-end ammo, such as Eley Tenex, is much more consistent, with 80% of rounds falling within .008″ rim base-to-ogive length sprea