Larue MBT-1S Worth the Upgrade?

WestDesertPRS

Sergeant of Marines
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
I am Looking at the Larue MBT-1S trigger as an upgrade option for a 14.5" carbine I recently built. I have 3 requirements for the trigger and am looking for opinions from anybody that has one or has used one.

Requirements (in order of importance)

1. Bombproof / 100% reliability. No light-strikes, no failure to reset or AD, won't wear out in a few thousand rounds. I want a trigger that will be dead-nuts reliable for the life of the rifle

2. Marked improvement over "mil-spec" trigger or options like the ALG QMS or ACT. I have a few of those and they are an improvement but come across (to me anyways) as a somewhat smoother mil-spec trigger. I'm looking for more improvement than that

3. Not cost on arm and a leg (haha). Its going into a solid rifle but not one that I necessarily want to drop a $200+ trigger into. I considered the Geissele SD-C but its just more than I want to invest in this project.

If anybody has other suggestions than the Larue in the ~$100 range then I'd like to hear about it. I'm not interested in a "drop-in" trigger like the CMC or Rise Armament due to potential issues with those.

I'm sure that RRA and Larue probably won't agree with this statement but the Larue seems to be very similar to the RRA but made with better materials and just looks more nicely made. The RRA is known for wearing out eventually, hopefully the Larue won't have that problem.

I have an RRA in one of my ARs, it's ok, not great. I prefer my CMC and Rise triggers and don't worry about them wearing out. I have had my CMC for a very long time with no issues.

I have a few Larue triggers. They seem nice. I'm not sure I like it any better than a Rise trigger.

With that said, I know my SR Gold trigger is pretty nice and a lot better than an LPK trigger but I don't see such a big difference between a cheap drop in like a Rise and a $300 premium trigger (but I do want to try a Triggertech AR Diamond trigger). I like the value of a cheap drop-in. I don't think they are a limiting factor in any but the very most accurate ARs but they do feel quite nice.