• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LaRue OSR

JerkeeJoe

Sergeant
Banned !
Jun 5, 2006
Las Vegas
I picked up my OSR today! Initial impressions are that it appears to be built very well. Machining is clean and fit is perfect. I went with the 16" barrel to avoid the extra wait for the longer barrels, and in hopes that I can purchase a 20" upper down the road to have a more versatile weapon. Here's a pic of it wearing a Falcon Menace 4.5-14 until the 3.5-15 Nightforce I ordered shows up. I think I'll also order an Atlas bipod for it. We'll be heading to the 1000 yard range on Wednesday, so after zeroing it, I'll shoot it out to 1K. I'll post a range report and more pics then.

DSC03179.jpg

Re: LaRue OSR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogstooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of any dealers that are going to be stocking these in the next year or so? </div></div>

Unlikely, Larue doesnt do stocking dealers so if you did find a dealer who had one for sale, they would have bought it for the public price and marked it up.

If you want one get in line from Larue but do it soon, price is supposed to go up $500 very soon (no exact date given).

The CTR with cheek riser has to be extended for the charging handle to work. The jury is still out on whether this will work out or not. I hope it does, as an A2 doesn't provide a very good cheek weld, and I don't like the PRS.

Mark LaRue has indeed posted over at Arfcom that the price will be right around $3K after the new year.

308: you may indeed see it tomorrow! (Shooting will have to wait until Wednesday though).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CTR with cheek riser has to be extended for the charging handle to work. The jury is still out on whether this will work out or not. I hope it does, as an A2 doesn't provide a very good cheek weld, and I don't like the PRS.

Mark LaRue has indeed posted over at Arfcom that the price will be right around $3K after the new year.

308: you may indeed see it tomorrow! (Shooting will have to wait until Wednesday though). </div></div>

Will it take a standard AR-15 collapable stock or is the buffer tube specific for .308. If so, I have an Voltor Emod you might want to try. VERY nice cheekweld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We fired this rifle today and to Mr Mark LaRue I can only say well done.

JerkeeJoe with less than 20 rounds (nice no breakin method) got a solid 100 yard zero, and then in less than 3 rounds was on steel at 1,000 yards... We the humbled stood amazed. 44 MOA of up, and wind was 5 to 6 mph from the 9 o'clock. 175 grain Sierra bullets.

Firing this rifle is an experience in what quality shooting equipment is about. Fit, function, feel you name it.. enormous WOW for this package.

I don't want to steal JerkeeJoe's thunder, but Wow oh wow. </div></div>
HOLY SHIT BATMAN! That rifle was a thing of beauty today! I put 5 rounds through it never having pulled the trigger on it before - and had 3/5 hits on steel at 1K yds. Recoil is not much more than a .223 AR and FAST follow on shots are a piece of cake. A 16" barrel with some thrown together handloads NOT developed for this rifle and getting hits easily at 1K - YGBSM!

I'll be VERY surprised if this rifle doesn't end up in some operator's hands downrange soon. We were discussing that this rifle can make consistant hits on man sized tgts at 1K yds and could easily be used in a CQB situation with the 16" barrel configuration. Talk about a "do it all" gun. Seriously, WOW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i believe, per Mark Larue, that he intends to take the SASS contract away from Knight Armament with the his OSR rifle

soooo, knowing LaRue does nothing half way, i bet that will be his contract before too long;

</div></div>

Having shot the rifle - I would say that is well within the realm of possibility. I've never shot the KAC, but I've heard rumors its having issues. But the Larue is a well made rifle, fit and finish is beautiful, and the whole package and feel is really nice. Its well balanced and lighter than I expected. And holy cow does it shoot! Wait until you see the pics that jerkeejoe puts up for his 100yd sight in group. I'm lucky if I can do that in a bolt gun.

Well, I receieved the first OBR 'released into the wild' on 4 DEC and all I can say is "WOW"! As trite and silly as that sounds, nothing else truly comes close. I have been posting at ARFCOM mostly, but thought I'd check out SH again. I have not been able to get glass on mine yet, but I can mirror all the positive statements made by others. AFter seeing Jerkee Joes result at close to 1000 yards - unbelievable!. My rifle is shooting right at .6MOA for 100 meters.

Since I don't have good glass yet, I've not done long range reports. However, I went the tortue route while (bored) waiting. In a blizzard, I ran the puppy through mag dumps, dropping the rifle in 8 inches of snow (kept muzzle capped), dropped loaded mags in snow, etc. The thing never burped. Quite impressive. btw, I used both LT metal mags and MP polymer 20 rounders. Both fit and function perfectly.

LaRue gave up almost $500 worth of kit with it, including mount. I was so impressed, I ordered another rifle. Mark says that he is increasing price $500 after NEw YEar. Wait time is 6 months and he does not charge until it ships.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this rifle, for almost any sitrep.

As far as MArk beating up on Knights....well, this rifle is primo kit, but knowing Mark LaRue, I don't see him aggressively attacking Knight- just not like him. Now if it were Dick Swan.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i believe, per Mark Larue, that he intends to take the SASS contract away from Knight Armament with the his OSR rifle

soooo, knowing LaRue does nothing half way, i bet that will be his contract before too long; </div></div>

Well dang it, knowing that the SASS has long been competed, been won, then been protested, and then ultimately won by Knight's, who then built, shipped, and likely has done been paid for the invoices ... then no one, and I mean no one is gonna "take the SASS".

Sooooo, that is something I knowingly would not have said.

I would however have likely said something to the tune of "I'm gonna give them rascals in Florida a good run for their money." ... and I would have meant it.

When the dust finally settles, I'm hopin' LaRue gets an honorable mention and maybe a small chapter in "The Final Book Of The AR" ... (no, not FUBAR).

;-)

ML

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LaRueTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i believe, per Mark Larue, that he intends to take the SASS contract away from Knight Armament with the his OSR rifle

soooo, knowing LaRue does nothing half way, i bet that will be his contract before too long; </div></div>

Well dang it, knowing that the SASS has long been competed, been won, then been protested, and then ultimately won by Knight's, who then built, shipped, and likely has done been paid for the invoices ... then no one, and I mean no one is gonna "take the SASS".

Sooooo, that is something I knowingly would not have said.

I would however have likely said something to the tune of "I'm gonna give them rascals in Florida a good run for their money." ... and I would have meant it.

When the dust finally settles, I'm hopin' LaRue gets an honorable mention and maybe a small chapter in "The Final Book Of The AR" ... (no, not FUBAR).

;-)

ML

</div></div>

Mark, can you tell us if any of your OSR/OBRs have made it into any operator's hands downrange? I'm curious if there are any "test rifles" in use in Afghanistan and what the feedback is so far. I know some units have a fair amount of leeway on choice of weapons, and I'm betting that one or two are in use somewhere on a two-way range.