• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Laser Engraving

ddeaton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2008
Southern Ohio
Anyone know who does this? I have a couple Garand rear sight covers I would like to have 7.62 etched into them. Someone offered these in the past, but I cant find him, so I will get some done.

Re: Laser Engraving

All etching/engraving work Ive ever had done I took to my local trophy maker. Most of them have engravers they use to make placards.

If you are wanting a deep engrave, you'll have to find someone with something along the lines of a 20W CO2 laser. Most of the smaller units like the Epilogs don't cut deep. Another option is electo-etching but it requires something like a silk screen to be made or a photo resist to by laid. Then there is sand blast etching, same thing there needs to be a mask or resist layer. Is the surface you need engraved flat? How tall do you want the characters to be?

I just had my lower done at my local jewelers, he takes care of all the NFA engraving in town. It turned out really nice, matches the LMT and Larue markings of my upper. Cal around your town, I'm sure you can find one.

I've got a 60w CO2 Vytek L-Star for sale. 4'x 8' work bed. I paid $104K for it 1 1/2 yrs ago. Will sell it for $68K.
Just thought I'd mention it...

Don't know if you've gotten this sorted or not, but I run a machine shop in the Dayton area and we have a 75w yag laser we use to etch most of the parts we ship. Shoot me a pm and we can probably get together on a weekend and get you sorted.

Tony