Leather Suppresor Mirage Shield

ZacharyR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
I just got my first suppressor a week ago. As I was sighting in my new scope I discovered the heat mirage you get after even a few shots. I experimented with just laying a piece of leather across the top and it worked good for me. So this evening I made something a little bit nicer. It has the two thick strips of leather that are the only pieces touching the suppressor and it also holds the shield up off the suppressor 3/16” or so. I’m hoping that will help with cooling. I’m happy with it so far for what I’m doing.

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2462.jpeg
    IMG_2462.jpeg
    981 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    990.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 110
Interesting concept... I've also noticed the mirage after just a few shots with my titanium cans, even with a nice Rifles Only Gear HAD cover. I'm curious how much better the leather will work, and I like the fact that the underside is still open so it will help it cool down faster.

I wonder if it might help protect the can finish (and the leather) if you put a piece of Nomex (like what is used in regular suppressor covers in between the leather cover and straps where they touch the can?

I guess I don’t think the leather will hurt the finish on the can but I haven’t used it much yet. Do you have experience with it being a problem? I don’t want to mess the finish up right off.

I just got my first suppressor a week ago. As I was sighting in my new scope I discovered the heat mirage you get after even a few shots. I experimented with just laying a piece of leather across the top and it worked good for me. So this evening I made something a little bit nicer. It has the two thick strips of leather that are the only pieces touching the suppressor and it also holds the shield up off the suppressor 3/16” or so. I’m hoping that will help with cooling. I’m happy with it so far for what I’m doing.
Cool idea...but, does it not slip forward under recoil?

I’m careful what leather I get. I use it for knife and ax sheaths so I’ve kinda of learned what to get so it doesn’t make those rust.

As far as it sliding forward I have the straps really tight and for me it’s not a problem because I’m shooting a 204. I don’t know how it would do on heavy recoiling calibers.

I know very little about leather work and made a couple of sheaths out of the wrong leather. I love the idea of this as it will give a traditional look to a suppressed hunting rifle and if hold off mirage for a few rds it will be fantastic

Reactions: sinister
I know very little about leather work and made a couple of sheaths out of the wrong leather. I love the idea of this as it will give a traditional look to a suppressed hunting rifle and if hold off mirage for a few rds it will be fantastic
From my experience make sure you stick to a vegetable tanned leather or oil tanned leather. I stay away from chrome tanned and make sure I get more expensive leather and it hasn’t been a problem. I’ve had cheaper leather that I didn’t know the tanning they used and it would rust steel overnight almost.

Reactions: moosemeat
Depending on conditions you can start to have suppressor mirage problems with as little as 3-5 rounds. With a cover in place you should be able to shoot at least twenty rounds before heat builds up enough through a bolt guns rate of fire before you start to have problems, sometimes you can go quite a few more rounds before you have any problems.

Thatd be sharp on a nice wood stocked hunting rig, or lever gun. Like the idea of letting it breath, suppressor covers insulate alot of heat dispersion and work great until they don't. Then its almost a negative for the time it takes to cool off.

Reactions: FuhQ
Depending on conditions you can start to have suppressor mirage problems with as little as 3-5 rounds. With a cover in place you should be able to shoot at least twenty rounds before heat builds up enough through a bolt guns rate of fire before you start to have problems, sometimes you can go quite a few more rounds before you have any problems.
Yeah, that's not correct... With ALL my rifles (I don't shoot unsuppressed), I get 3-5 rounds tops with a bolt gun with a high-end cover before seeing mirage in my scope...Without a cover 2-3 rounds and my Ti cans are so hot they're causing mirage, and you can't touch them.

Yeah, that's not correct... With ALL my rifles (I don't shoot unsuppressed), I get 3-5 rounds tops with a bolt gun with a high-end cover before seeing mirage in my scope...Without a cover 2-3 rounds and my Ti cans are so hot they're causing mirage, and you can't touch them.

Location dependant.

Mirage varies wildly for me depending on temp and humidity. What isn't bad during part of the year is unusable during other parts.

Powder burned is also a huge factor. Burning 60 grns a shot vs 20 grns will matter.

Reactions: FuhQ
Thatd be sharp on a nice wood stocked hunting rig, or lever gun. Like the idea of letting it breath, suppressor covers insulate alot of heat dispersion and work great until they don't. Then its almost a negative for the time it takes to cool off.

I wish Bowers still made their silicone ones. Super simple and had channels to allow for convection.

Sadly I assume their source was Chinese and they discontinued them 4 years ago.