Calling all poors, what is the most poorish shooting sports thing you've ever done?

70501461757__67F2DD77-3AEB-4D76-89F4-141D400E83D9.jpeg

I created a #5*10oz ultralight from a $600 kimber, hack saw, dremel, and can of krylon. Use a piece of 550 cord for a sling.

New poor term and definition:

Poorterfuge - giving the illusion of joking and enjoying the humor posted in a poor thread with the intent of using the information to propagate poor habits. Similar to subterfuge but deceit results in more poor behavior and poorer performance.

Used in a sentence: That poor keeps checking the bell icon for the "Calling all poors" thread to poorterfuge ideas for his lightweight ELR/Varminting/CQB tactial lever action setup.

YMMV, happy poor-ing

Poorterfuge - giving the illusion of joking and enjoying the humor posted in a poor thread with the intent of using the information to propagate poor habits. Similar to subterfuge but deceit results in more poor behavior and poorer performance.

Used in a sentence: That poor keeps checking the bell icon for the "Calling all poors" thread to poorterfuge ideas for his lightweight ELR/Varminting/CQB tactial lever action setup.

YMMV, happy poor-ing
1724369364802.jpeg

YMMV, happy poor-ing
Yeah. As we say in the South, "Bless your heart."

I grew up poor. We called it "redneck engineering."

Jeff Foxworthy said it best and I had to raise my hand.

"If your salad bowl set is washed out butter tubs....
you might be a redneck."

I spent of my childhood in government subsidized housing. The scouting events we could enjoy in our church were because of the generosity of others. I have always been so poor that if cadillacs were only a dollar, I could just walk around saying "what a deal."

Granted, using opportunities that came along in life helped me better my position, now and then.

But really, I love the roast.

"Please, sir, may I have some more?"

I had my assistant purchase a sporting rifle from an establishment named "Bass Pro Shop". When she returned, the rifle was some sort of plastic case. She assured me the salesman sold her the nicest one on the shelf. Horrified, such a thing was possible, I had it immediately removed from the estate. Wait until the chaps at Purdey hear of this at my next fitting.

Did anyone punch through?
Dodged that. We were little fellers and they were only good for a few bounces before the stench shut it down.
There's enuff similar 'ignernt' hi-jinx for a sep thread. Daily hazards but survived it all and better for it. Hands down better than the devil phone kid entertainment nowadays.

Last edited:
A friend and I scrounged up all kinds of scrap metal to make tree stands to bowhunt out of.

By the time we were done, our portable tree stand weighed about 85 pounds.

Packing that POS tree stand up the mountains sure did get us ready for football two a' day practice!

A friend and I scrounged up all kinds of scrap metal to make tree stands to bowhunt out of.

By the time we were done, our portable tree stand weighed about 85 pounds.

Packing that POS tree stand up the mountains sure did get us ready for football two a' day practice!
Hell I paid big money for 90 pound loud awkward metal tree stand sold as safe and portable- Anyone remember The Tree Lounge??!!

Hump that fucker up a mountain or hill or even across a flat field and if you didn’t have a heart attack you were hard as fuck

As I was sorting brass by caliber yesterday, I noticed that my 38 Specials are a real hodgepodge. LC-5x-78, WC-XX, FC-XX, PMC, Winchester, WCC, Peters, Remington, Speer, Western, Federal, IMI, *I*, GBC, Impact, and more that I can’t remember.

This comes from being a brass rat when younger (poorer) and yardsaleing. But 5 Gallons of 38 Special Brass for $5 is a great deal!🙄🤣

Reactions: Rocketvapor
I don’t know if this counts as poor, anti-poor, or just plain dumb, but just spent an hour fitting a spare Jewell trigger to my Springfield .22LR bolty.

i-w4NJVWW-X4.jpg

So yeah, the rifle now has a trigger that cost as much as the rifle.

And pay no attention to the scope that cost 4.5x what the rifle cost, mounted in some no-name $40 rings that I found in a box…likely take offs from a .22 build from 15 years ago, maybe more! LoL.

I’m such a ‘tard sometimes.

I have enjoyed all the redneck engineering and budget buys in this thread and count myself blessed.

I have heard of people making do with less. Evidently, there were these two young ladies and they only had one cup between them.

You could probably google search that.

• Haha
Reactions: 91Eunozs and Gwak06
In the late seventies I could buy spined wooden arrow shafts in lots of 144. (12 dozen) We would re-use plastic fletch or whatever we had and make our junker arrows as cheaply as possible.

It jusy so happens that 38 Special brass could be bought very cheap and then used as metal blunts. I didn't need to glue them on, the fit was nice and snug. We would drill a couple small holes in the brass and push short nails through the holes and make "judo like" points. We could also make cheap "Snaros" to shoot at birds just by adding a couple loops of wire. I killed a lot of stuff with those cheap ass arrows.

A 75/80 spined wood arrow out of a round wheel compound hit those poor little bodies like a Volkswagon moving at a couple hundred miles an hour and the sound of a good, solid center body hit is memorable.

Last edited:
In the late seventies I could buy spined wooden arrows in lots of 144. (12 dozen) We would re-use plastic fletch or whatever we had and make our junker arrows as cheaply as possible.

It jusy so happens that 38 Special brass could be bought very cheap and then used as metal blunts. I killed a lot of stuff with those cheap ass arrows.

A 75/80 spined wood arrow out of a round wheel compound hit those poor little bodies like a Volkswagon moving at a couple hundred miles an hour.
I did that too. Those things produce a hard thump and are quite effective.

In the late seventies I could buy spined wooden arrow shafts in lots of 144. (12 dozen) We would re-use plastic fletch or whatever we had and make our junker arrows as cheaply as possible.

It jusy so happens that 38 Special brass could be bought very cheap and then used as metal blunts. I didn't need to glue them on, the fit was nice and snug. We would drill a couple small holes in the brass and push short nails through the holes and make "judo like" points. We could also make cheap "Snaros" to shoot at birds just by adding a couple loops of wire. I killed a lot of stuff with those cheap ass arrows.

A 75/80 spined wood arrow out of a round wheel compound hit those poor little bodies like a Volkswagon moving at a couple hundred miles an hour and the sound of a good, solid center body hit is memorable.
That’s a trip down memory lane - killed lots of game and varmints with various garage sale bows and arrows - also made .38 special judo points . Being in MI a few random wood “Fred Bear arrows were almost a given at garage sales - at times we even fletched or re fletched with duct tape !
Once we found a bow fishing reel that screwed in where the stabilizer went - Living in the valley between Red Cedar , Shiawasse and Looking Glass Rivers - we piled up suckers and cat fish and carp and even some muskrats.

Hope that fits in the Poors shooting thread duct tape fletched used arrows !

Last edited:
Reactions: mtwarych and mtrmn

As an archery guy I can really appreciate your ingenuity.

Nothing, always have and always will buy high quality shit. The fact that people take an item like a firearm that is already inherrantly dangerous and then buy really cheap parts for it has always bothered me... Like the guy that said " I have a $200 budget and want to build an AR15"...

Nothing, always have and always will buy high quality shit. The fact that people take an item like a firearm that is already inherrantly dangerous and then buy really cheap parts for it has always bothered me... Like the guy that said " I have a $200 budget and want to build an AR15"...

How is a firearm inherently dangerous?

It contains an explosion... And expels a projectile at incredible speeds so surrounding that with the cheapest parts money can buy is not really a smart thing to do. Like the barrel thats on sale for $39.95, the PSA upper and lower set for $12.95, the blem BCG for $29.95 etc,etc. Then its " I cant figure out why my rifle exploded"

Last edited:
It contains an explosion... And expels a projectile at incredible speeds so surrounding that with the cheapest parts money can buy is not really a smart thing to do. Like the barrel thats on sale for $39.95, the PSA upper and lower set for $12.95, the blem BCG for $29.95 etc,etc. Then its " I cant figure out why my rifle exploded"

It doesn't do shit without human interaction.

The human input is the inherently dangerous part of the equation.

Without the human, it's just steel, plastic and wood.
Not much different than a hammer.

Tell us you hate PSA without saying you hate PSA.

Reactions: oneshot86
It doesn't do shit without human interaction.

The human input is the inherently dangerous part of the equation.

Without the human, it's just steel, plastic and wood.
Not much different than a hammer.

Tell us you hate PSA without saying you hate PSA.
Yeah no shit scooter, the human condition is a given since the firearm wouldnt even exist unless a human created it so the human equation is already inplay, duh... Fuck PSA, its bottom of the barrel garbage.

I no longer have a PSA upper but I’ve got lowers that run just fine . The uppers did as well . And hang me as a poor - my Dagger not only runs but fucking shoots .

Just my .2cents - worth what ya gave fer it

Reactions: Makinchips208