Calling all poors, what is the most poorish shooting sports thing you've ever done?

I bought a shitty cheap TC Compass II in .308 W (a shit round) and using Hornday 150 SST (which is not even the best ammo after further testing of that rifle) and a shitty Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 FFP in the factory synthetic stock (aluminum pillar bedding.)

Out of the box and only having pulled a snake through, It shot a shitty .54 inches on the first two shots.

At first, I didn't think it was shitty but others who know more than I know told me it was shitty.

So, that's what I get for being poor.

And now I am poor again thanks to medical bills and homeowner's insurance going up drastically and Bidenomics.
I had a TC compass that was a tack driver as well. cheap doesn't have to mean shitty

I gladly accepted 9,500 pieces of once-fired 9mm brass from my father...who purchased a range membership for two consecutive years just to be the world's biggest brass goblin.
If it makes you feel any better when I lived in Tulsa I used to go out to US Shooting Academy and pick up brass. I wasn’t even a member but they were happy to have me, I could fill up 3 WalMart bags in less than an hour and I had to triple bag them. I would process the brass and sell it, this was back when my daughters neurologist got most of my paycheck and it was the only way to fund my addiction.

Ever seen people at matches unzipping their Eberle pack to carefully remove their ammo novella and thumb through their selection of factory Berger ammo?

I present to you, the ammo pulp sack

Poor ain’t got time or funds for that! Here’s my repurposed Hornady bullet box that holds 60 rounds, light, compact, disposable, and costs literally nothing.

Note: Hornady non ELD bullets in an ELD Match box, masking poor behaviors with less poor camouflage = B.S. in poor-canomics.

IMG_4003.jpeg

Ever seen people at matches unzipping their Eberle pack to carefully remove their ammo novella and thumb through their selection of factory Berger ammo?

Poor ain’t got time or funds for that! Here’s my repurposed Hornady bullet box that holds 60 rounds, light, compact, disposable, and costs literally nothing.

Note: Hornady non ELD bullets in an ELD Match box, masking poor behaviors with less poor camouflage = B.S. in poor-canomics.

View attachment 8481647

I still prefer the Velveeta box

I've been reading this thread trying to come up with my mostest, poorish thing I've ever done.

Back in the early 90s I was doing a lot of prairie dog killin. Most of it was with a 223 topped with a 4-16 Tasco.
Sunshades were not even a pipe dream for this particular optic, and Leupold was out of my financial reach.
As a joke with my friends I took a paper towel roll and wrote Loop-Holed on it and stuck it in the objective.
To my surprise, it fit like it was made for it, and, worked like a champ, so I left it on while I shot that day, and many days after that.

Eventually, it got crushed, and I never replaced it.

Sad face...

I hardly ever take paper targets to the range. Whatever is left hanging will have at least one untouched bullseye and if not, the waste bin will be overflowing with either new or mostly new targets of every variety. This is associates degree level. My real poor moment came when I bought a red dot off Amazon to go on a Kel-Tec PCC.
I’ve got an Amazon red dot on my comp 22 right next to the Razor Gen 3.

But here, it does. I got my ass handed back to me like ten pounds of lime jello on a cracked porcelain plate. It also taught me to STFU.

If I get good results from a budget build, keep my gd mouth shut.
ha not me. I own or have owned them all and my collection is rich but I enjoy a good budget build or budget contender like the rest of them. I absolutely love that TC Compass and you cannot beat it's performance for the money.

Reactions: Ronws
I hardly ever take paper targets to the range. Whatever is left hanging will have at least one untouched bullseye and if not, the waste bin will be overflowing with either new or mostly new targets of every variety. This is associates degree level. My real poor moment came when I bought a red dot off Amazon to go on a Kel-Tec PCC.
ok this is a contender!!!!! bravo!

Reactions: sloporsche
ha not me. I own or have owned them all and my collection is rich but I enjoy a good budget build or budget contender like the rest of them. I absolutely love that TC Compass and you cannot beat it's performance for the money.
I agree with you. What I am saying, though, is I should have kept my big mouth shut. It pissed off the gucci purse swingers.

Reactions: Modoc and RUTGERS95
I agree with you. What I am saying, though, is I should have kept my big mouth shut. It pissed off the gucci purse swingers.
I hear you and I get it as the insecurity level of some to reinforce spending habits is surreal. For me, KAC, LMT, HK, seekins, Colt, CA, etc etc. had/have them all but only a fool looks down on equipment that works and works for a fraction of the price.

Reactions: MO Fugga and mtrmn
Doesn’t this thread remind you of a train wreck? Horrifying but difficult to pull away from watching.

Someone mentioned Magneto ChamberChiller. Poors aint got $60 to spend on that bougie contraption. Also, it is not nearly loud enough to bother people more than 2 benches away.

I present to you the Industrial grade 3 in 1 mattress pump, ear shredder and chamber ventillator…. The Thunderscreech.

It’s missing an aquarium air tubing that connected the ventilator to the chamber, but you get the idea…

IMG_4004.jpeg

Doesn’t this thread remind you of a train wreck? Horrifying but difficult to pull away from watching.

Someone mentioned Magneto ChamberChiller. Poors aint got $60 to spend on that bougie contraption. Also, it is not nearly loud enough to bother people more than 2 benches away.

I present to you the Industrial grade 3 in 1 mattress pump, ear shredder and chamber ventillator…. The Thunderscreech.

It’s missing an aquarium air tubing that connected the ventilator to the chamber, but you get the idea…

View attachment 8482071

Works like a champ at sub $20
IMG_5315.jpeg

Reactions: OkieMike
Prr

View attachment 8481647
Pooraflauge ?

Reactions: cas6969
1. For several years, I drove my wife’s Pontiac sunfire with peeling clearcoat to the range with about $10k in rifles inside.
2. When I arrived, I used a piece of cardboard for a shooting mat.
3. In the wayyyy back you couldn’t get any decent 6.5 brass. Was backordered. Took some lake city .308 brass and tried to convert it to 6.5 with a buddy. Eventually it worked but it turns out the powder capacity was far less than Hornady 6.5 factory. Hilarity ensued.

We use to do “stuffed animal drag races” by shooting them on the ground with 12 gauge skeet shot til they fly across a finish line 15-20 feet away.

Good times. I’ve never laughed that hard in my life.
Thus sounds awesome! I'm going to get the family in on this for our next big gathering. Probably labor day.

It also reminds me of something else. On a couple occasions, on new years, after the fireworks are done and there's just the remnants of a giant bonfire, we would take empty coke/beer cans and fill them with gasoline, set them in front of the fire and shoot them with a 12ga and birdshot. Made a nice fireball.
Funny you mention that. My first thought when I read the OP’s question was that I opened a production machine shop and I actually thought I could make attachments and modify my personal toys and make other items on the side in my spare time cheaper than I could buy most of it. Did you know that making one or two of anything is super expensive after you add in time to design, program and go through a couple iterations to make it just right, not to mention tooling? You can go down the poor route and put yourself right in the poor house.
Sounds like my foray into gunsmithing. I'm not paying somebody to build a rifle. I'll by a lathe and build my own. 😂
Lucked out on my first machine at an estate sale. A late 80's 1336 jet with some tooling for $500.
By the time I got around to building my first rifle I spent a full custom gun on tooling.
Now the jet is gone and I've got a 14x60 gear drive lathe. All in all I'm into both machines for $1000. Plus tooling of course.
Barska red dot on a Hi-Point carbine.
I just thought I was poor.

Reactions: Bender
When I first wanted to get into a 308 ar I balked about dropping $2500-3k on an LMT or KAC so I picked up a sig 716 at a gunshow for $1800.
That didn't pan out so I sold it at about a $200 loss and picked up a used POF for $1900 I think. Can't remember, that's been a while ago, I do remember the $400 loss when I sold it though. After that I got a PWS mk216 for about 2k and that rifle was a winner!
Then I sold it and bought an LMT.

1. For several years, I drove my wife’s Pontiac sunfire with peeling clearcoat to the range with about $10k in rifles inside.
3. In the wayyyy back you couldn’t get any decent 6.5 brass. Was backordered. Took some lake city .308 brass and tried to convert it to 6.5 with a buddy. Eventually it worked but it turns out the powder capacity was far less than Hornady 6.5 factory. Hilarity ensued.
I made 400 pieces of 6x47lap from once fired 243 brass. Weirdly it was amazingly consistent and yielded good velo. I wanted large primers.

• Love
Reactions: 65x55guy
Ok, after reading all of this I’ll admit it.

I have a Chrony. I bought it in ignorance way back when because it was cheap.

That thing gives me as much good info as Vera from Mel’s Diner. I need to sell it to another victim just to keep the misery going.

And I made a rear bag out of a tube sock stuffed with a bag of rice. Worked out ok until got wet.

Last edited:
Now that is working hard to win poorest of the poors. You don't mess around.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: db2000 and 65x55guy
We use to do “stuffed animal drag races” by shooting them on the ground with 12 gauge skeet shot til they fly across a finish line 15-20 feet away.

Good times. I’ve never laughed that hard in my life.
this is awesome!!!!

we did something similar with baseballs where we'd hit the side to push it past a line at 100yds

I hear you and I get it as the insecurity level of some to reinforce spending habits is surreal. For me, KAC, LMT, HK, seekins, Colt, CA, etc etc. had/have them all but only a fool looks down on equipment that works and works for a fraction of the price.
1. It’s a joke thread in the Pit.
2. I don’t own a Tikka or “Berg” whatever that is.
3. The my (enter whatever cheap example you have) is just as good as (all the top tier shit you mentioned above) is suggestive of hanging out with people claiming Arken 7-35 is as good as ZCO. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
1. It’s a joke thread in the Pit.
2. I don’t own a Tikka or “Berg” whatever that is.
3. The my (enter whatever cheap example you have) is just as good as (all the top tier shit you mentioned above) is suggestive of hanging out with people claiming Arken 7-35 is as good as ZCO. 🤦‍♂️
My Arken is just as good as my ZCO!

I don’t own either so that’s just an assumption on my part

• Haha
Reactions: 232593 and Ronws

View attachment 8481647
We might be " kin folk". For larger bulk quantities of handloads I have them in ziplock bag stuffed into 1 gal used food buckets ,good seal on those babies..........washed out of course.

A bunch of us went into a shed on a piece of property back in high school and found a skeet and clay throwing machine sitting on a case of clay pigeons.

Took the skeet thrower to another property and set it up, found it was broken so we fixed it, shot the clay pigeons and returned the skeet thrower back where we got it, fixed.

We also built a cannon out of a six inch steel pipe and shot it with black powder we made. We were both stupid and poor.

Reactions: Ronws