Calling all poors, what is the most poorish shooting sports thing you've ever done?

We use to do “stuffed animal drag races” by shooting them on the ground with 12 gauge skeet shot til they fly across a finish line 15-20 feet away.

Good times. I’ve never laughed that hard in my life.
We do something similar at Cowboy Action matches called Snakes. 1-1/2” x 24” HDPE Conduit sections and move them from point A to Point B on the timer. I’ve seen a shooter empty a 25 shot belt trying to move one.
I'd imagine melting is way easier than sorting.
You’re right. Even after rinsing and multiple rounds of sifting dirt and rocks still got in the shot shell press. Besides the patterns sucked worse than swan shot.

Reactions: MO Fugga and FWoo45
This whole thread....

tenor (9).gif

My parents bought me a 870 Express for Christmas in 1990 I so wanted it to be a Wingmaster I sanded the stock and forearm and refinished it with a red cherry stain then used a satin clearcoat on it. I even bought some gold Testers model paint and used a sewing needle to fill in the lettering. I tried to replace the front bead didn't realize it was press fitted so I paid a gunsmith to cut it off and tap and thread on a new one.

I traded a new SKS for a 1982 Vision 550 motorcycle to a friend in high school (I am still not sure who got fucked on that deal)

I had 1987 Honda Civic in high school I bought from my older sister. Me and a friend after school would treat it like a dirt track race car and run it through these trails we made on this undeveloped land. The gas tank was being held on by a coat hanger wire and to open the hood I also used some coat hanger wire to rig up the broken latch. Fuel gauge didn't work had to carry a gas container in case I misjudged how much gas was left. In an emergency you could leave it in 1st gear turn the starter over and it would drive the car enough to get it off the road. I thought I was cool and found this secret way to do that, until I read in the manual that was actually the way they suggested to do it in an emergency if the car wouldn't start.

I used to cut up used Shoot'n'c targets that I pulled out of the trash at the range. I'd use all the usable parts to make Frank'n'c targets
My go to target for paper is still cheap paper plates with an orange office dot sticker in the middle. Pizza boxes covered in the dots are great too, not so many trips downrange to replace paper.

One time someone talked me into machining a “magna-port” on three rifles for him. I ground a small endmill, and milled the most perfect slots to replicate the magnaport.
I was so poor that I did all that for a used Pentax 4-12 scope. 🤣 hey, he told me “they make high end cameras and scopes.”
Funny you mention that. My first thought when I read the OP’s question was that I opened a production machine shop and I actually thought I could make attachments and modify my personal toys and make other items on the side in my spare time cheaper than I could buy most of it. Did you know that making one or two of anything is super expensive after you add in time to design, program and go through a couple iterations to make it just right, not to mention tooling? You can go down the poor route and put yourself right in the poor house.

Last edited:
Raise your hand if you 3d printed some reloading tool to save coin ?
Yep.

Tried scavaging car wheel weights to cast into pistol proj, when it turns out the hours spent doing that, petrol driving around, electricity to run the melter, powder coat, learning curve, etc.. i worked out I had to shoot something like 5,000 rounds to break even, providing I had no failures in my process.
Yeah, I was that guy.

Yep.

Tried scavaging car wheel weights to cast into pistol proj, when it turns out the hours spent doing that, petrol driving around, electricity to run the melter, powder coat, learning curve, etc.. i worked out I had to shoot something like 5,000 rounds to break even, providing I had no failures in my process.
Yeah, I was that guy.
Nope. No 3D printer/printing for me...

However, I did take a scrap piece of 1x2, laid it on its side and used a Forstner bit in the drill press to mill a radius to hold gas blocks. Made it 100x easier to pin the gas tube.

Too cheap to pay $30 for a jig. Lol

Mike

Funny you mention that. My first thought when I read the OP’s question was that I opened a production machine shop and I actually thought I could make attachments and modify my personal toys and make other items on the side in my spare time cheaper than I could buy most of it. Did you know that making one or two of anything is super expensive after you add in time to design, program and go through a couple iterations to make it just right, not to mention tooling? You can go down the poor route and put yourself right in the poor house.
Quoted for truth! Just finished drilling, boring, and broaching 4 love-joy couplings for a customer. I told him he was on the hook for the broach tooling. I think he ended up paying $400.00/coupling!

drilling holes in a savage b22 precision to help the balance.
I could have just bought steel mlok plates but... I was about to start pouring lead in the front but I gave up on the gun and am building a custom.
I've got more good ones but that one was very recent.

Yep.

Yeah, I was that guy.
3d printed a bullet tray for my dillon cause fuck paying 70 bucks plus tax 7 but plus shipping 10 =87 . And mine holds more.

3d printed a bullet tray for my dillon cause fuck paying 70 bucks plus tax 7 but plus shipping 10 =87 . And mine holds more.
well that's not embarrassing at all, just ingenuity.
I still use black trays I got with some 45 long colt bullets I bought...
a quarter century ago...
I have 4, so I can hold all 200 of my brass at a time lol.

Reactions: Im2bent
Yep.

Guilty, but in my defense, reloading blocks are expensive and these have features you don’t find on most.

First, they are custom labeled for the cartridge/family.

Second, they are shallow enough that you can spray the cases with lube while they are in the blocks (stagger every other hole to insure coverage).

Third, they have a hole in the bottom that is sized to the outer diameter of the case neck. This allows you to look through the bottom to see the primers/pockets. And, it allows you to stand the cartridges upside down if you choose.

IMG_6323.jpeg

I panic bought a dpms when I was young for the Obama election.

Not dumb I don't think but definitely a poor move, my kids Savage mk2s have closed cell foam duct taped to the stock for cheek risers.

I use motor oil for lube, sometimes it's even used.

After a practical alteration one of my shotguns required a new front site so I drilled a hole in the barrel with a hand drill and screwed in a slightly to big screw and cut the head off. Still holding strong after 20years of truck gunning.

Spent the summer in Alaska backpacking with only a .40 sw it's all I had.

I’m gonna JB Weld this scope in place so I can say I have a badass pimp mount for my savage 110. All you deer hunters, eat your heart out. This is my year for the great white buck since Bob Newhart bowed of the chase 😔 View attachment 8480772

It's be cheaper to buy a new mount than the epoxy to fill up those cavities

which seems perfect for this post lol
ETA
I took out a loan to buy a rifle/scope for long range some years back and for reloading equipment and such.
going in debt for hobbies, dumb AND poor.

Last edited:
Yep.

Yeah, I was that guy.
Ever build a PID controller for a Lee 4-20? I did, and soon after realized I'll never shoot that much cast, and hated to fuck around with it.

• Haha
Reactions: iceng
Found a metal file on the ground. Sometime later used it to rough up a mosin nagant receiver about 30* off center due to the straight bolt handle. Mounted a scope with JB Weld. Made an alright deer rifle in 2006. Spent just under $150 for the setup IIRC.
Used the file to make FMJ into flat tip hunting rounds.

Reactions: 912173

• Haha
Reactions: 232593 and PB&J.
Long Range F/TR with a 223 Savage F/TR, Weaver T-36, and a Harris BiPod in 2014. I splurged for Berger 80vld's.

In 2015, started shooting High Power Mid and Long Range with a 6.5cm RPR and an old MIL/MOA Leupold with the sling from a Service Rifle. Shot it again earlier this year in a Long Range match after 2 1/2 years of neglect.

Someday I'll own a discipline specific rifle other than a Service Rifle, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

The Junkyard Event in the North-South Skirmish Association. All regular scoring, unit designation, weapons, and uniform rules for N-SSA applies, and the targets are a collection of detritus donated by everyone. Old toilets, car hoods, broken microwaves and TVs, tiles hanging from a target-clays rack. You ain't lived life till you have made a toilet completely explode at 75 yards with a 535 grain Minie ball fired from an Enfield 1853 2-band rifled musket! 😂

On a factory synthetic stock, used craft foam and vet tape to make a higher cheek comb. Eventually went to a chassis with adjustable cheek rest.

I have also re-used targets at an outdoor range.

Last edited:
I tinkered with a mini-14 last winter to see what accuracy could be squeezed out of it with simple, cheap mods. The most bubba of said mods was cutting the barrel to 16" to hopefully reduce some flexing of the thin barrel. I did it with a hacksaw and a file with some fine sandpaper to clean it up. It actually shoots pretty good for a mini.

Reactions: somewhereinmt
The Junkyard Event in the North-South Skirmish Association. All regular scoring, unit designation, weapons, and uniform rules for N-SSA applies, and the targets are a collection of detritus donated by everyone. Old toilets, car hoods, broken microwaves and TVs, tiles hanging from a target-clays rack. You ain't lived life till you have made a toilet completely explode at 75 yards with a 535 grain Minie ball fired from an Enfield 1853 2-band rifled musket! 😂
You ain't lived till you've blasted water filled 55 gal drums and a junk car with an M1841 6 pounder field gun.....😉

Last edited: