• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Leatherwood ART MPC scope

S12A

Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
Feb 25, 2009
Australia
G’day all,

I just picked up this ART MPC scope , it came with manuals , calibration chart and shop receipt from when it was bought in 1986 .

I mostly bought it because I’ve never seen one here .

Are these something that would be sought after for any sort of collection or vintage build ?

I don’t know much at all about it and there doesn’t seem to be heaps online other than about the new Chinese made ART scopes and the Military ART II .
776500E8-EAE4-47B1-A030-50157D83DA57.jpeg
EC979E9E-86DB-420A-A894-BC1F90A7749B.jpeg
C1A6EB92-1584-4F84-B789-963B432F63B4.jpeg

Attachments

• D8CED04A-F671-4725-9445-657663AF17EF.jpeg
    D8CED04A-F671-4725-9445-657663AF17EF.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 18
M-14 rifles Vietnam carried the ART. The ARTIi came out later and is similar but not as collectible as the original Learherwood. The original ART would be used for an M21 sniper clone or similar.

I have an ART Ii on an M1A “clone” of an M21. It is sort of a cool novelty but not an especially precise setup. I think mine is a HiLux.

There is some collectors market for the first Gen ART. Though I am not sure the value is high.

But that is a cool package for sure!! Nice score!!! If all that is Original “James Leatherwood” not later version, the literature is as cool as the scope!!! I assume you have the mounts? Just not record using them in the picture.

Cheers!

Sirhr

Reactions: crackerbrown
Unfortunately no mount, which is a problem i think as it needs the mount to work the cam

Yup. HiLux might sell just a mount! Or possible someone here has one.

They are neat concepts but kind of a novelty! They did not hold up well in the field. IIRC the m21 had the 3x9 Redfield scope on a side mount.

But the XM21 had the ART scope on it. Though the ART did not hold up well in the field. The cams wore. The scope was not easily detachable… It was highly ammo-specific. ART was in service into the 80’s in the Army but was not well-liked!

M14 did come back in the early 2000’s as a DM rifle, but stripped of its ART Scopes. There were something like 1500 XM21’s made. Wonder where all those surplus Leatherwoods went?

@USMCSGT0331 might know!

Sirhr

I wouldn't shoot the ART I too much. They were modifications of the commercial Redfield by Jim Leatherwood and not designed for heavy use (constant shooting) by snipers. Purchased by the Army without any support/warranty, they fell apart and had to repaired. I met the AMU armorer sergeant who repaired them in 'Nam and had to self-teach himself how to and had to fabricate his own tools.

I should have bought one when I surplus ART I's were sold to the civilian market in the early '90s by CMP. That was the opportunity I passed up on but I did get a M-84.

Last edited: