Range Report Level of Accuracy in "Leveling a Scope"

USMC22

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I recently ran a "Tall Target Test" with my Vudoo 360. Instead of doing it at 100 yards, I ran it at 50 yard (same as distance zeroed). If you're interested in the results I started a thread here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/short-range-tall-target-test.7225741/#post-11681282

I'm going to run the test again tomorrow but did a couple things to "improve" the setup:
- Picked up some 40" x 20" corrugated cardboard and used adhesive spray to attach the Sniper's Hide Tall Targets (https://www.boxtobenchprecision.com/store/snipers-hide-100-yard-scope-tracking-target)
- Use a plumb bob to level the targets with spring clamps

Going to log the environmental data with the Kestrel Elite and the Chrono Data with the Garmin Chronograph.

My goals are:
- Ensure Reticle is plumb (will use target @ 50 Yards)
- Ensure MDT Send it Level show's Level when Reticle is plumb to the target
- Check scope tracking

Will confirm zero to start with Lapua Center X and move on to the Tall Target Test.

With all that said, how "level" do you believe you can get a scope reticle and level (bubble or Send It). Example: Within 1/2 degree, 1 degree?

How far do you chase a tall target? Example: If the shots are within the weapons capability do you count any deviations up to "noise within the weapon system" or have a firm deviation from the plumb line thats unacceptable and can be corrected with the scope?

I found on the internet (must be true): Every degree will generate 0.0174″ per inch of length.

If that above is true than 1 degree of cant over a height of 32" would = 0.5568 inches off left or right.

Based on my previous test 18 mils of elevation measured 32.1875". 18 mils @ 50 Yards should have been 32.4".

The center of the group was .1875" (3/16") off to the right. If I'm doing the math correctly that puts my possible scope cant error in the 1/3rd of a degree zone. I'm not sure I could ever shoot better than that. . . the MDT Send it Level on the factory setting is with 0.6 degree's to be green light.

Ran the tall target test again today:

IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg

Correction factor calculated from 7/22/24: 1.008
Correction factor calculated from 7/24/24: 1.014

I think something or a combination of things is off by a total of 1 degree (leaning right). It doesn't show its head till around 10 mils of elevation are dialed.

Either way. . . for my NRL22 Rifle and even Rimfire PRS I don't think it's worth messing with at this point. 10 mils of dialed elevation puts me in the ball park of 250 Yards. After 10 mils it looks like I would miss low and right if not applying a correction factor.