• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Liberty Optics (the Storefront) is born

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

Many of you have been around long enough to remember my humble origins in this business and how we used the power of the internet (for better and worse) to establish ourselves and break into this industry as an outsider. Our rise to prominence was fueled by your open minds and willingness to take a chance on us to provide for your tactical optic needs. With your loyalty and support, we have enjoyed a level of success that has truly surprised and humbled us. When I went fulltime with this business almost 4 years ago, is when things really began to take off. We are blessed and thankful to have you as our customers.

However, we are not without our critics, and one knock I've heard over and over (mostly from manufacturers and other dealers) is that we are "internet only". Personally, I don't think this is a bad thing, but it's a fact of life that in 2012 (aka these MAP Crazy times) "guys like me" won't even get a sniff from the major manufacturers. Put another way, if I started out the same way now as I did back in 2003, I likely would not have gotten off the ground.

At any rate, in an effort to continue our growth and expand our horizons, we had basically two choices, invest lots of $$ in advertising, or open a brick and mortar store. (We really can only afford to aggressively pursue one option right now). We discussed the pros and cons of each and went back and forth many times. Ultimately, we chose the brick and mortar. The bottom line, advertising would be for us, but the store would be a resource for you. Without you, there would be no Liberty Optics.

Other reasons to do this include higher credibility with manufacturers, giving back to the community and establishing a business in an area that sorely needs it, and to provide a place where you guys can stop by and interact with yours truly. Bottom line, this takes LO to the next level, period. I imagine I will get a setup to mount scopes for customers rifles and other assorted "optics dude" services. This is exciting to say the least.

At any rate, after some searching, a fine little place right on Main St became open, and as luck would have it, right next to the newspaper/printing/sign/banner shop. It was a former motorcycle gear shop so it is already setup for retail, just needs our own personal touch. A couple of days ago we signed the papers and got the keys to the building.

Here's a street level view of the 'hood Google Map street view

So guys, there you have it. As you can imagine, the work has not even begun, but winter time is the ideal time to do this, work on it nights and weekends to get it going. I anticipate a grand opening sometime in the spring, likely April or early May.

So, pray for us, wish us luck, whatever, we will need all the help we can get! We will give it the 'ol "college try" in 2012 and evaluate after one year of operation. We need your support as much as ever.

Thanks again, Hiders, for getting us to this point.

Scott

Re: Liberty Optics (the Storefront) is born

smile.gif
congrats

Congratulations on the new Setup Scott.
Glad to hear it has finally happened!!

You are still on the wrong side of the State, but we will forgive you!!!

Scott,
It's great to see you continuing to be so successful and taking steps forward in such a poor economic time. Hopefully the store will serve you well and help to continue growth for Liberty Optics.

I've bought a few scopes from you, and most likely will again in the future. You've always given 110% stand up service. These values can only continue to benefit you and your company as you grow and move forward.

Good luck to you and your new location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,
It's great to see you continuing to be so successful and taking steps forward in such a poor economic time. Hopefully the store will serve you well and help to continue growth for Liberty Optics.
</div></div>

This...is what provides the fear factor. It's no secret the economy sucks. Conventional wisdom (and maybe a little research) shows that in economic downturns companies that invest the most in advertising bear the greatest reward when (if) things get better. However, our very existence tends to defy conventional wisdom, and word of mouth took us to this point, and word of mouth will need to be the source of new business for the time being (provided we continue to earn it).

Basically, I'm flying on faith with this.

Thanks for all the well wishes, fellas.

Scott

In times of poor economies value trumps all else. People will remember those who looked after them in the good times with customer service and attention even more in the tough times. I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of SHOT and to see if there's a 3-20 in the MSR to be had...

Good luck.

Another big Attaboy for your hard work - thats a long way and a bunch of weather difference from Florida!

Congratulations Scott!
I really enjoy seeing small business beat the odds and flourish.
When I get to Montana, and I will draw a tag one day, I will do my best to meet and visit with you. Pick out a good lunch spot. It's on me!

Way to go Scott !

It is tough times to invest in a business but there are some bright sides.

1. There's an opening on main street now for you.
2. The price of rent is probably cheaper than 4 years ago.
3. People notice a new business more now after watching so many disappear.
4. Less competition, If your the last man standing you'll be the first one everyone goes to when things get back up to speed.

Remember to advertise regularly not only in your town but the one's further out also to get the word out that your there. I've seen too many people start businesses and just expect everyone to rush in without ever spending a dime on advertising.

Hold free monthly events on different things. One month have "How to mount your scope the right way" the next month do a "Scope features shootout" just give people a reason to stop by to meet you and I'm sure they will be back when their ready to buy.
Remember that the local papers do press releases for free so use them for your Grand opening and each month you hold something like this along with your regular advertising.

Carry a large supply of quality smaller items for people. I always get disgusted when I swing into a Cabelas and see hundreds of rifles and walk by their scope base section and they have 5 to choose from and none of them with any cant lol. That or looking at their rifle bags is pretty pathetic too.
Not everyone can spend $500 to $3,000 but they sure may pick up a couple hundred worth of accessories to finish up their build or change things around.

Lots of different ways to promote yourself you just need to be sure you work at it all the time to enjoy the success that I'm sure you'll have with your new brick and mortar business.

Good luck and have fun with it !

Congratulations on the next step Scott. Best of wishes and luck with the new storefront. If you treat people half as well there as you do here, you'll be just fine. Take care...

Well congratulations, and best of luck!!
We need a picture of your smiling mug in front of the store!

Congrats Scott!

As for the fear/economy thing--I left a very well established business a year and a half ago to go my own way and had similar feelings. But, as I've always believed, if you are passionate and good at what you do (which you are) and provide excellent customer service (which you do) the chances of failure are minimal. No doubt the storefront will only be another boost to the business!

Scott, as my friend Bob (may he rest in peace) used to say, may you be as busy as a one armed paper hanger with poison ivy between his toes!

Second, I should ride my Harley out to visit your new location this coming week, should be warm enough.

The Sightron III you sent me sits very nicely on top of my Cooper 57M, makes me think I have 20 year old eyes instead of 62 year old eyes.

The best.

Maxwell

Congrats Scott. The Leupold Patrol I recently got from you is great. Thanks for the great C/S (as usual). I looked at your street shot on google. Wide open spaces.... I've been to Montana twice and love it! Next time I come out, I'll be sure to stop by. Best of luck with the new store. I know you will do well.
Take care,
Nick-

Congrats Scott! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Happy to see you following your dream.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will be a great success. Hope to see you this week in Vegas.

I drive from Western WA to Eastern MT 1, 2, or 3 times a year.
Going East, I get off I90 at Bonner and get on H200.

Would you get off I90 at Kingston or St Regis to get to Thompson Falls?

Blessings upon you Scott as you pursue this. I appriciate what you did for me in my purchase of the Sightron--probably will never buy anything else. I also will probably never purchase optics anywhere else. You took care of me and I will do the same for you.

Scott , hate to see you off in the big city like that but I guess it had to happen
grin.gif

I make it down there shootin yotes and on the way to Spokane on occasion so I
will remember to stop in. Are you still going to do the local shows?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drive from Western WA to Eastern MT 1, 2, or 3 times a year.
Going East, I get off I90 at Bonner and get on H200.

Would you get off I90 at Kingston or St Regis to get to Thompson Falls? </div></div>

In the summer, kingston to Murray, over Thompson pass to MT Highway 471 (Prospect Creek Road, FS Road 7)

In the winter, Come in directly on 200 or go to St. Regis (have fun in Mullan pass)

Scott

Get the Henny line, the new scope looks great and since S&B had a price increase whats an xtra 5 bills. Good things happen to good people, best of luck and your CS rocks!!!!

Much success to you Scott from a happy customer enjoy the new B&M store front. Keep us up to date. I am still thinking of a new IOR Terminator I should have listened to you when they came out! PG