• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Light Primer Strike

jaym_100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
Mississippi
On one of my Rem 700s the firing pin isn't striking the primer hard enough. Some rounds will not fire even after several tries but I can put it in another gun and it shoots. I was thinking about getting a titanium firing pin, would that help or what else could I do?

Re: Light Primer Strike

Is the end of your firing pin smooth and round or jagged? Perhaps the tip broke or chipped?

Also have you had the firing pin assembly out? If so did you screw it all the way into the bolt body or perhaps left it a turn short??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaym_100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On one of my Rem 700s the firing pin isn't striking the primer hard enough. Some rounds will not fire even after several tries but I can put it in another gun and it shoots. I was thinking about getting a titanium firing pin, would that help or what else could I do? </div></div>

Many are in a hurry to botch headspace and it'll leave light strikes,amongst other things.

Many are enthralled with greasing striker springs and that will arrange light strikes as well.

Headspace is most often the culprit,because every idiot is in a hurry to screw sizers into shell holders,for some reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the end of your firing pin smooth and round or jagged? Perhaps the tip broke or chipped?

Also have you had the firing pin assembly out? If so did you screw it all the way into the bolt body or perhaps left it a turn short?? </div></div>

The end of the firing pin is smooth and round.
I took the firing pin assembly out and rescrewed it in with the same results.

Is it a factory assembly? If so, is it a standard one?, a J-locked one?, or one with J-lock internals and no "J" key hole?

Is the cross pin rubbing on the shroud walls?

Has any aftermarket work been done?

Is it dirty?
Too much oil/lube?

How much protrusion do you have? If you cant measure this, compare it to other 700 bolts. Should be .055" to .060" if you are able to measure.
How often does it happen?

Any trigger work been done recently?

The gun was built by RW Snyder. I installed a Timney trigger. I don't know about the rest.
So far the only rounds that have done this have been some crap winchester that got wet, but it shoots out of the other gun and some reloads. They have all been winchester primes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaym_100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gun was built by RW Snyder. I installed a Timney trigger. I don't know about the rest.
So far the only rounds that have done this have been some crap winchester that got wet, but it shoots out of the other gun and some reloads. They have all been winchester primes. </div></div>

This has happened to me on 2 different rifles. Your problem is the timney trigger. This is not a shot at timney triggers BUT. If you chock the firing pin look at the back of the bolt shroud. timney triggers don’t cock the firing pin all of the way. You will see that the cocking piece doesn’t come flush with the shroud. I know this isn’t the right terminology but hope it makes sense if you change the trigger back to factory it will work fine. Think of it like this with a timney trigger your only cocking the firing pin 80%.

i have jewells in my rifles. also tried a rifle basic and shilen. i did keep one of my old timney triggers that worked. i just havent had any luck with the new ones.