Light recoiling 7mm ELR?

I like what I see on paper about the SSs. Everyone loves the SAUMs and the SSs seem to have a slight improvement in performance while based on the SAUM case. I don't know why you would call it BS unless you have some personal beef with Rich Sherman.

I haven't read anything about throat life specifically in the SSs. Most of what I've read about throat life was from articles and discussions between benchrest shooters on accurateshooter.com.

Google search turns up a lot more, but you get the idea. Also, from reading these you can see that it is not some new theory, but it is pretty well-known that neck length has a significant effect on throat life. The benchrest crowd is arguably the world's most knowledgeable and scientifically-rigorous group of shooters, so if they say short necks = short throat life, I'm more inclined to believe them than they type of fellow who chooses to use the word "badass" in the name of his business.

As for ELR matches beyond 1500 yards, the OP never mentioned intending to shoot ELR matches. Furthermore, the OP's definition of ELR seems to be more consistent with the Hide's definition of ELR than yours since there is a subforum here actually titled "ELR - BEYOND 1000 YARDS".

into this thread titled "Light-recoiling 7mm ELR and proceed to tell the OP that:
-1500 yards isn't ELR (wrong),
-A 7mm-300 Norma improved or 7mm-338 RUM improved would do well (the OP asked for LIGHT-RECOIL and AFFORDABLE),
-He'd be be better off with the same cases in 30 caliber because higher BC projectiles are available than in 7mm (wrong again AND even more recoil),
-And insult people who like 7mm in a thread about 7mm even though the 7mm ballistically outclasses all 30 caliber offerings with the new bullets you mentioned.

If you really do have Litz's home phone number, why would I be impressed? I'm sure Litz has at least one or two stupid friends just like I do.
i do have his phone # my commemt was not to impress anyone it was to make a point he would tell you the same thing a 30 cal is a better choice for elr then a 7mm and as far as the Sherman short mag you cant use the same parent using the same volume running at same pressure limits with the same powder and same barrel and bullets and end up with better performance and still get longer throat life simple facts that cant be denied flame point deflection in not real its a made up story to sale a idea there are pros and cons to long necks

Last edited:
Flyer
Choose the cartridge that launches the bullet you want to shoot at the velocity you want to shoot it.
If recoil is an issue add lead until it is no longer a problem.
I have a cage a plate and a box of screws holding my neck together and shoot everything from 14 Flea to 50BMG Improved and weight is your best friend when it comes to recoil.
The picture is of a 338 Lapua in the 111 Savage. Even with a 33 inch barrel recoil was too much so I added 8 pounds of lead to the buttstock. Simply hollow it out with a spade drill then mix epoxy into the lead and pour it full.
Cheap easy removable and it works every time.
I added a Tap Plastics made runner on the bottom so it rides the bags better. They make them for $19.
If more weight is needed I can remove the bag rider and replace it with one made out of stainless steel or bronze for more weight.

Attachments

• IMG_20151013_171827832.jpg
    IMG_20151013_171827832.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20151013_141713664.jpg
    IMG_20151013_141713664.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20151013_120422722.jpg
    IMG_20151013_120422722.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 66
What a shit show this thread has become.

Why not just use your 6.5 Creedmoor for this? I'm not sure how far you are planning to shoot, but I've taken my 6.5 creedmoor out past a mile a few times with great success, and as far as 2,200 yards (mediocre success there).

Unless you are regularly shooting really long distances, the 6.5 creedmoor is pretty capable. Plus, you learn a lot slinging those short action calibers a long ways.

Otherwise, a 7mm cartridge of some sort, perhaps a 7 SAUM, would fit the bill nicely. I don't own nor have I ever looked into a 7mm cartridge, so I don't have much suggestions for you on that front. When I had the tickle for ELR, I built a .300NM, which I've really enjoyed so far. If you want a real barrel burner, get a 7XR :p

Curious to see what you end up with. Good luck!

Reactions: sandwarrior
So today I did a little shooting with my new 375 Snipetac shooting CEB 377 and my 284 shehane with 175 eldx. We only went out to 2029. I was using forming loads in both gun. The 375 is running 2926 and the 284 was running 2700. The 284 needed half again as much wind hold as the 375. A missed call made a way bigger different with the 284 even though it’ll shoot inside the 375 at closer ranges by a good margin.

I assume the Shehane was subsonic well before 2029 yards, how does that ELD-X handle trans-sonic flight? Do the groups open up much more past that point?

Any experience with the 180 ELD-M or another 180 grain class match style bullet?

Would you consider the Shehane at 2,700 a 2,000 yard rifle or was it suppressing fire at that point?

It’s still going 1119fps at 2029. So it’s close. Fully formed shehane loads should be close to 2900 with 180s so a lot better than my forming loads. It was still holding about 1 moa at that distance. So not what I would consider suppressive fire.

I have not experience with the 180s yet. But once my brass is formed I have the 180 hybrids that I plan to work with.

Hell, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. I just wish Shehane didn't require fire forming.

Maybe I should set up for hydraulic forming?

I wish any part of that was cheap.

7 wsm should do around 3000 fps with a 180 and no fireforming. Brass is the only downside right now unless you do a 7-300 and use 270 wsm brass. I've been happy with bertram so far but I know a lot of people don't like it.

Reactions: Geno C.
I’ve shot some of the smallest groups I’ve ever shot while forming brass. I don’t see it as a draw back. This is the first 3 shots out of my Snipetac this morning at 915 yards. One is the cold bore.
I just find a load while forming just like I do with any other round. Then when I’m done forming all the brass I find another load. The seating depth almost always stays the same

Reactions: tnichols
I’ve been very happy with my 7 saum running 180 eldms out of a long action. I’m running them at 2960 with h1000. I have shot it a couple times at 2010yds and if the wind isn’t to stiff it really holds its own at that distance. At 1580yds and 1350yds it is stupid easy to hit steel. Its a very universal round and one my favorites to shoot because of accuracy and light recoil.

Reactions: 7mmFanBoy